The Bement School
The Bement School provides an education based on time-honored school traditions and values for children in kindergarten through ninth grade, day and boarding.
From the classrooms to the dorms, we live and learn as a family, while encouraging responsibility for our own work and actions.
Bement's rich and rigorous curriculum motivates and challenges students with thematically coordinated courses, a renowned fine arts program, and a diverse athletic program.
The student/teacher ratio is 6:1 and class size averages 12 students.
Our junior boarders, grades 3 through 9, live eco-friendly dorms of 10 students with dorm parents who commit themselves to monitoring closely each boarder's personal as well as academic growth.
The pervasive atmosphere at Bement is that of a family, learning and living together.
Bement actively seeks an academically diverse, international, and multi-cultural student body.
Students and adults at Bement work together to create a climate of acceptance, kindness, stimulation, and challenge in which the academic, creative, physical, and emotional growth of each child is nurtured and realized and to best prepare them for secondary schools.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|The Bement School|
|School Focus||Junior Boarding School|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 3-9|
|Grades (Day)||Grades K-9|
|Campus Size||30 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants, blue blazer, white collared shirt, tie for Friday dress)
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$11.2 million|
(Kindergarten: $19100 Grades 1-2: $21000 Grades 3-5: $22300 Grades 6-9: $28600)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / Dec. 15 / rolling|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes|
|Director of Admissions||Kimberly C. Loughlin|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Roselle Garro|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Literary Magazine, Math Club, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
Irving Literary Society, String Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Winter Track
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Fine arts for every child every day
- Daily physical education and sport offerings with team sports starting in grade 5
- Academic rigor for a range of student learners
- Small boarding population allows for individual attention
- Diverse international population
- World language instruction grades K-9
- Nestled in the heart of Historic Deerfield, Bement offers a unique experience for our forty boarding students. The small size of our boarding community means that each of the four ten-person dormitories feels like a real home. The dorms are centered around common rooms with features including fireplaces, tables with space to spread out and play cards or board games, kitchenettes, and plenty of couches and chairs so that the entire dorm can relax together. Family-style meals in our dining hall provide an opportunity for students to dine with a diverse group of peers and dorm parents. Boarders often pitch in to help take care of our campus: they help our kitchen staff set up for meals and clean up afterward, shovel snow during our New England winters, and are responsible for daily and weekly chores in the dorm, including doing dishes, taking out the trash and recycling, and vacuuming. Just like the members of a family, Bement students and adults work together to live and learn successfully.
- Bement boarders build close relationships with many of the adults in our community. With just ten students per dorm, the two dorm parents who lead each dorm get to know each boarder well. From eating three meals a day together to helping with homework, from relaxing in the dorm to participating in exciting weekend activities together, boarding students and their dorm parents build strong relationships during the school year. Many of our dorm parents also work as teachers and coaches, allowing students to interact with their dorm parents in the classrooms and on the playing fields as well as in the dorms. Boarding students also have an opportunity to see some of their classroom teachers in a different context when these teachers proctor evening boarder study halls. All teachers at Bement, and especially dorm parents, are fully committed to making Bement a wonderful home for our boarding students. It is not uncommon to see teachers taking a group of boarders to a special dinner, to church on a Sunday, to a play at a local school or theater, or out for ice cream after a sports game!
- Our weekdays in the dorm are busy and full. Each day begins with the entire boarding community gathering for breakfast in the dining hall. Then, it`s off to a full day of classes, followed by sports practices or games. After an hour of downtime in the dorm, it`s time for dinner and study hall. Evenings in the dorm are a time to call, email, or Skype home, make a snack, get homework help from a dorm parent, and prepare for the next day.
- On weekends, we take full advantage of all that our beautiful campus, the Pioneer Valley, and New England have to offer. Weekends are full of a variety of activities. Some of these are trips to other places, like visits to local fairs and festivals, malls, movie theaters, and museums like Mass MoCA and the Norman Rockwell Museum. We also enjoy excursions to local hotspots like Northampton and Shelburne Falls, and special, longer trips to Boston and New York City. Other activities are closer to home, like swimming at our head of school`s house, competitive rounds of bingo in our dining hall, bike rides on Old Main Street, hikes up the nearby Pocumtuck Ridge, sports games, and craft workshops on campus. Each weekend, we strive to strike a balance between time to relax and study, time spent in small, dorm-based groups, and time as a full boarding community.
- The Bement School accreditations: AISNE, TABS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Bement School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 4-9 | 76 students 132.8 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.