Ojai Valley School
Ojai Valley School Photo #2 - OVS students enjoy time hanging out with friends on the 195-acre high school campus, located in a stunning canyon overlooking the Ojai Valley. Throughout the year, student life is punctuated with fun events to balance the academic schedule. These include camping trips, prom and other socials, themed dress days, community service projects, and countless weekend excursions.
Ojai Valley School Photo #3 - Ojai Valley School offers students in grades 3-12 the ability to live and learn alongside peers from around the world. Residents participate in a vibrant community of motivated students and develop friendships that last a lifetime. Just ask our alumni. Many of their closest friendships began in the OVS dorms or were developed on camping trips or sports teams.
Ojai Valley School Photo #4 - Ojai Valley School is one of the few equestrian boarding schools in California with stables on both the middle and high school campuses, allowing students to walk from class to the barn to ride nearly every afternoon in place of sports or P.E. classes. Our program welcomes riders of all levels.
Ojai Valley School Photo #5 - Ojai Valley School offers a challenging college prep curriculum with opportunities for Advanced Placement (AP) and honors course work. Last year, juniors and seniors took, on average, three AP classes each year.
Ojai Valley School Photo #6 - Outdoor Education is a key part of the OVS experience. Students in grades 3-12 participate in multiple outdoor trips throughout the year, many of which relate to classroom studies. In freshman Humanities, for example, students read A River Runs Through It, and then a group took a fly fishing trip to the eastern Sierras.
Ojai Valley School Photo #7 - The Athletic program is a vital component of life at OVS. Middle and high school students participate in athletics each season. High school sports options include soccer, basketball, volleyball, cross country, track, baseball, equestrian, tennis, golf, and lacrosse.
Ojai Valley School Photo #8 - Surf's up! OVS students enjoy great Southern California weather and frequent excursions to the Pacific Ocean for early morning surf trips. The "Dawn Patrol" surf club welcomes beginners and experienced surfers alike, and they regularly paddle out from local surf spots.
Ojai Valley School Photo #9 - At the OVS Upper Campus, high school students in grades 9-12 flourish from the attention they receive in small classes and benefit from a college prep program that emphasizes character development and academic achievement.
- It is our goal to recruit intellectually curious, outgoing students who want to participate in all aspects of Ojai Valley School`s academic and extracurricular programs.
- We strive to enroll students from all backgrounds whose talents, skills and interests will enrich the OVS community.
- Through the development of a strong college prep curriculum and with emphasis on study skills, confidence and leadership, students earn placement at select colleges and universities worldwide.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of California, Berkeley I started boarding at Ojai Valley School (OVS) since fifth grade in Elementary School and this experience had been the best time of my life largely due to the supportive environment of the faculty members. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Ojai Valley School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||3-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||195 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||275 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$2.6 million||$20 million|
(Jr. Boarding Tuition (5/7 day) Grades 3-8: $60,500)
(Varies per grade level: http://www.ovs.org/?id)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$18,209|
($18,209 average boarding; $10,541 average day)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Tracy Wilson|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Misty Hall|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics C, Electricity/Magnetism, AP Physics C, Mechanics, AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2D, AP Studio Art: 3D, AP Studio Art: Drawing, AP United States History, AP World History, Honors English 10, Honors Geometry, Spanish III Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Football, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||16||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Computer Club, Journalism, Leadership, Robotics Team, Woodshop, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Chorus, Garage Band, Performing Arts
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ropes Course, Surfing, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Yoga
|Year: 2017 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Cal Poly San Luis Obispo||3|
|Savannah College of Art and Design||3|
|George Washington University||2|
|UC Santa Barbara||2|
|University of Washington||2|
Founded in 1911, Ojai Valley School is recognized for its challenging academics and unique programs:
- 100% college placement
- Interscholastic sports
- Outdoor education (trips to Yosemite, Channel Islands, Escalante, Lost Coast, Zion, and Joshua Tree)
- Equestrian program
- Community service
- Fine and performing arts
- International ESL and summer programs A spectacular location 40 miles southeast of Santa Barbara and at the foot of the Los Padres National Forest ensures weekend access to beaches, lakes and mountains.
- Ojai Valley School accreditations: ACA, WAIC, WASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Barbara B. Smith (L35) - Ethnomusicologist, Professor Emeritus of Music, University of Hawaii
- Robert Erburu (L46) - Former Chairman of the Board and CEO, Times Mirror
- Michael Mondavi (L58) - Founder, Folio Wine Partners
- Jeffrey Hyland (L63) - President, Hilton & Hyland, architectural historian and author
- John Slavik (L66, U69) - Owner, Pinnacle Holdings, Inc.
- Keith Carradine (U67) - Actor, composer, musician
- David Lazarus (L74, U78) - American business and consumer columnist for the Los Angeles Times
- Bruce Sommers (L79) - President of Sincbox Media
- Mari Holden (L84, U88) - 2000 Olympic silver medalist, cycling
- Tiana Coudray (L02,U06) - 2010 winner, USEA Gold Cup Series CIC3* division, Galway Downs International Horse Trials
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Ojai Valley School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 249 students 49.9 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.