Ojai Valley School
Ojai Valley School Photo #2 - Ojai Valley School offers students in grades 3-12 the ability to live and learn alongside peers from around the world. Residents participate in a vibrant community of motivated students and develop friendships that last a lifetime. Just ask our alumni. Many of their closest friendships began in the OVS dorms or were developed on camping trips or sports teams.
Ojai Valley School Photo #3 - Ojai Valley School is one of the few equestrian boarding schools in California with stables on both the middle and high school campuses, allowing students to walk from class to the barn to ride nearly every afternoon in place of sports or P.E. classes. Our program welcomes riders of all levels.
Ojai Valley School Photo #4 - Ojai Valley School offers a challenging college prep curriculum with opportunities for Advanced Placement (AP) and honors course work. Last year, juniors and seniors took, on average, three AP classes each year.
Ojai Valley School Photo #5 - Outdoor Education is a key part of the OVS experience. Students in grades 3-12 participate in multiple outdoor trips throughout the year, many of which relate to classroom studies. In freshman Humanities, for example, students read A River Runs Through It, and then a group took a fly fishing trip to the eastern Sierras.
Ojai Valley School Photo #6 - The Athletic program is a vital component of life at OVS. Middle and high school students participate in athletics each season. High school sports options include soccer, basketball, volleyball, cross country, track, baseball, equestrian, tennis, golf, and lacrosse.
Ojai Valley School Photo #7 - Surf's up! OVS students enjoy great Southern California weather and frequent excursions to the Pacific Ocean for early morning surf trips. The "Dawn Patrol" surf club welcomes beginners and experienced surfers alike, and they regularly paddle out from local surf spots.
Ojai Valley School Photo #8 - At the OVS Upper Campus, high school students in grades 9-12 flourish from the attention they receive in small classes and benefit from a college prep program that emphasizes character development and academic achievement.
Ojai Valley School Photo #9 - The arts curriculum at OVS include drawing, music theory and composition, music history, voice, ceramics, photography and three AP art courses. Students have the opportunity to explore costume design, graphic design, and film. They can also participate in electives such as dance and chorus. OVS produces musical and drama productions throughout the year.
- It is our goal to recruit intellectually curious, outgoing students who want to participate in all aspects of Ojai Valley School`s academic and extracurricular programs.
- We strive to enroll students from all backgrounds whose talents, skills and interests will enrich the OVS community.
- Through the development of a strong college prep curriculum and with emphasis on study skills, confidence and leadership, students earn placement at select colleges and universities worldwide.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of California, Berkeley I started boarding at Ojai Valley School (OVS) since fifth grade in Elementary School and this experience had been the best time of my life largely due to the supportive environment of the faculty members. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Ojai Valley School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||3-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||195 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||269 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2.6 million||$20 million|
(Jr. Boarding Tuition (5/7 day) Grades 3-5: $44,500)
(Varies per grade level: http://www.ovs.org/?id)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,635||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||45%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Tracy Wilson|
|Associate Director of Admissions||John Valenzuela|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2D, AP Studio Art: 3D, AP Studio Art: Drawing, AP United States History, AP World History, Honors English 10, Honors Geometry, Honors Spanish II|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Computer Club, Flame, Leadership, Literary Forum, Science Society of Marianapolis, Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica, Woodshop, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Formal Club, National Forensic League, Performing Arts
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Disaster Relief Club, Green Knights, Host Family Program, Junior Engineering Technical Society (JETS), Kiski Yearbook, Nursing Home Volunteers, Ropes Course, Surfing, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Yoga
|Year: 2012 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||3|
|University of Nevada, Las Vegas||3|
|California College of the Arts||2|
|California Lutheran University||2|
|Michigan State University||2|
|University of California, San Diego||2|
Founded in 1911, Ojai Valley School is recognized for its challenging academics and unique programs:
- 100% college placement
- Interscholastic sports
- Outdoor education (trips to Yosemite, Escalante, the Lost Coast and Joshua Tree)
- Equestrian program
- Community service (includes a trip to Oaxaca, Mexico)
- Fine and performing arts
- International ESL and summer programs A spectacular location 40 miles southeast of Santa Barbara and at the foot of the Los Padres National Forest ensures weekend access to beaches, lakes and mountains.
- Ojai Valley School accreditations: ACA, WAIC, WASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Barbara B. Smith (L35) - Ethnomusicologist, Professor Emeritus of Music, University of Hawaii
- Robert Erburu (L46) - Former Chairman of the Board and CEO, Times Mirror
- Michael Mondavi (L58) - Founder, Folio Wine Partners
- Jeffrey Hyland (L63) - President, Hilton & Hyland, architectural historian and author
- John Slavik (L66, U69) - Owner, Pinnacle Holdings, Inc.
- Keith Carradine (U67) - Actor, composer, musician
- David Lazarus (L74, U78) - American business and consumer columnist for the Los Angeles Times
- Bruce Sommers (L79) - President of Sincbox Media
- Mari Holden (L84, U88) - 2000 Olympic silver medalist, cycling
- Tiana Coudray (L02,U06) - 2010 winner, USEA Gold Cup Series CIC3* division, Galway Downs International Horse Trials
- Submit Review for Ojai Valley School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 249 students 49.9 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.