Besant Hill School
Besant Hill School Photo #2 - Doornink Grove student/faculty housing overlook a five-acre farm and are a short walk from classrooms.
Besant Hill School Photo #3 - Art class in our beautiful atelier. Visual arts courses include film, photography, painting, drawing, ceramics, printing, and more. Students benefit from field trips to local art galleries and museums in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.
Besant Hill School Photo #4 - Performing arts offerings include music and acting with one play, one musical, two concerts, and two variety shows performed each year. A small, supportive community allows each student to explore their creativity.
Besant Hill School Photo #5 - Students enjoy swimming and aquatics fitness in a new Aquatics Center part of many team sports and fitness offerings including basketball, soccer, golf, volleyball, cross country, yoga, surfing, and more.
Besant Hill School Photo #6 - Students enjoying a meal on the outdoor dining patio. A typical lunchtime meal includes organic, seasonal produce provided by an on-campus farm which also allows for unique student learning opportunities and special collaboration between Besant Hill's executive chef and farmer.
Besant Hill School Photo #7 - Socratic teaching and emphasis on experiential learning create a stimulating environment where students learn how to think, not what to think.
Besant Hill School Photo #9 - Community is strengthened through group projects, trips, and all-school councils.
Besant Hill School Photo #10 - Our unique location 90 minutes north of Los Angeles, and just minutes from California's mountains and coastline allow for amazing Experiential Learning opportunities. Each spring, students and faculty embark on international educational trips that recently included Greece, Italy, Cuba, Galapagos Islands, and Iceland.
- Founded in 1946 by Annie Besant, Aldous Huxley, J Krishnamurti, Guido Ferrando, Robert Logan, Louis Zalk and Rosalind Rajagopal on 520 acres in the resort town of Ojai, California this boarding school community offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum with a cornerstone on creative expression, sustainability and divergent thinking.
- Besant Hill offers 20+ art electives, competitive and noncompetative athletics, travel and experiential education programs, small classes and a 4:1 student teacher ratio.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- CU Boulder The sense of community at Besant hill is truly unique. I almost never felt homesick because I always felt at home. My teachers became my best friends, and my best friends became my brothers and. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Besant Hill School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||Pre-prof. Arts / College-prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||5-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||520 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Respectful and Appropriate)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$58,140||$49,850|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,400|
(Apply at solutionsbysss.com)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kristen Kaschub|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Terra Furguiel|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|Courses||Advanced Environmental Studies, Advanced Studio Art, Algebra II Honors, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Economics, AP English, AP Environmental Science, AP Government, AP Human Geography, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US History, Honors English|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Swimming, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Environmental Sustainability, FOCUS- Fellowship of Christian Schools and Universities, Gunn Hall Newsletter
Arts and Music Programs:
Acting, Art Club, Ceramics Club, Dance Activity, Dance Club, Digital Art, Language Enhancement, Playwriting Club, Prefects (Senior Student Leaders), Rifle Marksmenship, SAGE- Students Affirming Gender Equality, STEM, Studio, Theater, Voice
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Crossfit, Peer Writing Center, Sandy Hook Promise, Surfing, Swimming, Weight, Weight Lifting, Yoga
|Year: 2011 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Santa Cruz||4|
|University of California, Santa Barbara||3|
|Cal State Poly Pomona||2|
|California Polytechnic State University||2|
|Evergreen State College||2|
|Michigan State University||2|
|Otis College of Art and Design||2|
|School of the Arts Institute of Chicago||2|
|University of California, Los Angeles||2|
|University of Southern California||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- As a community, our goal is to cultivate what is excellent in each student. Besant Hill School provides a small intimate learning environment where students are able to fully explore and express both their intellectual and creative abilities. With small classes, positive student/teacher relationships, and a quiet, rural location, we provide a safe and peaceful atmosphere for learning, study, contemplation, and self-expression. The mission of Besant Hill School is the development of each individual's intellectual and artistic abilities. Through awakening the spirit of inquiry, we encourage each student to pursue integrity and excellence. Our non-competitive community builds honesty, respect, compassion and responsibility. Our goal is to develop a lifelong habit of learning as embodied in our school's motto Aun Aprendo, I am still learning.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia / Language-based and Mild Learning Differences
- Besant Hill School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges, (WASC), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Besant Hill School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 249 students 50.6 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.