Besant Hill School
Besant Hill School Photo #2 - A spectacular view of the Topa Topa mountains from the common room in our Phoenix dorm. Students gather here for study sessions, snacks and social activities.
Besant Hill School Photo #3 - Socratic teaching and emphasis on experiential learning create a stimulating environment where students learn how to think, not what to think.
Besant Hill School Photo #4 - Students on a science class field trip to a local beach is part of our Aun Aprendo Experience. Aun Aprendo, our school motto that means "I am still learning," is the basis of the opportunities provided to students for learning outside of the classroom.
Besant Hill School Photo #5 - Art class in our beautiful atelier. Visual arts courses include film, photography, painting, drawing, ceramics, printing, and more. Students benefit from field trips to local art galleries and museums in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.
Founded in 1946 by Annie Besant, Aldous Huxley, J Krishnamurti, Guido Ferrando, Robert Logan, Louis Zalk and Rosalind Rajagopal on 520 acres in the resort town of Ojai, California this boarding school community offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum with a cornerstone on creative expression, sustainability and divergent thinking.
Besant Hill offers 20+ art electives, competitive and noncompetative athletics, travel and experiential education programs, small classes and a 4:1 student teacher ratio.https://youtu.be/xKHH3RrSiBs.
- Application Open! - 09/08/2021 - 2022-23 Application is open! Visit www.besanthill.org/apply to begin your application now. We will keep in touch with you throughout the application process.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- CU Boulder The sense of community at Besant hill is truly unique. I almost never felt homesick because I always felt at home. My teachers became my best friends, and my best friends became my brothers and. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Besant Hill School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||Pre-prof. Arts / College-prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||5-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||520 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Respectful and Appropriate)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$24 million|
|Tuition international students||$64,155||$53,975|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,500|
(Apply at solutionsbysss.com)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Alex Spence|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Terra Furguiel|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||18|
|Courses||Advanced Environmental Studies, Advanced Studio Art, Algebra II Honors, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Economics, AP English, AP Environmental Science, AP Government, AP Human Geography, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US History, Honors English|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country Running, Dance, Golf, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Surf Team, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||27||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Cooking Club, Environmental Sustainability, Film Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Acting, Art Club, Ceramics Club, Choir, Dance Activity, Dance Club, Digital Art, Language Enhancement, Playwriting Club, Prefects (Senior Student Leaders), SAGE- Students Affirming Gender Equality, STEM, Studio, Theater, Voice
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Crossfit, Outdoor Education, Peer Writing Center, Sandy Hook Promise, Surfing, Swimming, Weight, Weight Lifting, Yoga
|Year: 2016 - 2021||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Lewis & Clark College||4|
|San Diego State University||4|
|Sarah Lawrence College||4|
|University of California, San Diego||4|
|University of California, Santa Cruz||4|
|University of Washington||4|
|New York University||3|
|University of California, Berkeley||3|
|University of Redlands||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- As a community, our goal is to cultivate what is excellent in each student. Besant Hill School provides a small intimate learning environment where students are able to fully explore and express both their intellectual and creative abilities. With small classes, positive student/teacher relationships, and a quiet, rural location, we provide a safe and peaceful atmosphere for learning, study, contemplation, and self-expression. The mission of Besant Hill School is the development of each individual's intellectual and artistic abilities. Through awakening the spirit of inquiry, we encourage each student to pursue integrity and excellence. Our non-competitive community builds honesty, respect, compassion and responsibility. Our goal is to develop a lifelong habit of learning as embodied in our school's motto Aun Aprendo, I am still learning.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia / Language-based and Mild Learning Differences
- Besant Hill School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges, (WASC), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Besant Hill School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12| 249 students 50.6 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed just about everything in our day-to-day lives. Here's a look at how the pandemic is impacting boarding schools.
A military high school might be an option for your son or daughter. We take a look at what these schools offer.
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.