Besant Hill School
Doornink Grove student/faculty housing overlook a five-acre farm and are a short walk from classrooms.
Art class in our beautiful atelier. Visual arts courses include film, photography, painting, drawing, ceramics, printing, and more. Students benefit from field trips to local art galleries and museums in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.
Performing arts offerings include music and acting with one play, one musical, two concerts, and two variety shows performed each year. A small, supportive community allows each student to explore their creativity.
Students enjoy swimming and aquatics fitness in a new Aquatics Center part of many team sports and fitness offerings including basketball, soccer, golf, volleyball, cross country, yoga, surfing, and more.
Students enjoying a meal on the outdoor dining patio. A typical lunchtime meal includes organic, seasonal produce provided by an on-campus farm which also allows for unique student learning opportunities and special collaboration between Besant Hill's executive chef and farmer.
Socratic teaching and emphasis on experiential learning create a stimulating environment where students learn how to think, not what to think.
Our unique location 90 minutes north of Los Angeles, and just minutes from California's mountains and coastline allow for amazing Experiential Learning opportunities. Each spring, students and faculty embark on international educational trips that recently included Greece, Italy, Cuba, Galapagos Islands, and Iceland.
- Founded in 1946 by Annie Besant, Aldous Huxley, J Krishnamurti, Guido Ferrando, Robert Logan, Louis Zalk and Rosalind Rajagopal on 520 acres in the resort town of Ojai, California this boarding school community offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum with a cornerstone on creative expression, sustainability and divergent thinking.
- Besant Hill offers 20+ art electives, competitive and noncompetative athletics, travel and experiential education programs, small classes and a 4:1 student teacher ratio.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- CU Boulder The sense of community at Besant hill is truly unique. I almost never felt homesick because I always felt at home. My teachers became my best friends, and my best friends became my brothers and. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Besant Hill School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||Pre-prof. Arts / College-prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||520 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1440 - 1870||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Respectful and Appropriate)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$17 million|
|Tuition international students||$57,000||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,400||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kristen Kaschub|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Terra Furguiel|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|Courses||Advanced Environmental Studies, Advanced Studio Art, Algebra II Honors, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Economics, AP English, AP Environmental Science, AP Government, AP Human Geography, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US History, Honors English|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Swimming, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||23|
|Extracurriculars||Acting, Art Club, Ceramics Club, Crossfit, Dance Club, Digital Art, Environmental Sustainability, Film Club, Film Making Club, Golf Club, Hiking Club, History Club, Instrumental, Media, Music, Performing, Photography, Student Government, Studio, Surfing, Swimming, Theater, Voice, Weight, Weight Lifting,|
|Year: 2011 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Santa Cruz||4|
|University of California, Santa Barbara||3|
|Cal State Poly Pomona||2|
|California Polytechnic State University||2|
|Evergreen State College||2|
|Michigan State University||2|
|Otis College of Art and Design||2|
|School of the Arts Institute of Chicago||2|
|University of California, Los Angeles||2|
|University of Southern California||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- As a community, our goal is to cultivate what is excellent in each student. Besant Hill School provides a small intimate learning environment where students are able to fully explore and express both their intellectual and creative abilities. With small classes, positive student/teacher relationships, and a quiet, rural location, we provide a safe and peaceful atmosphere for learning, study, contemplation, and self-expression. The mission of Besant Hill School is the development of each individual's intellectual and artistic abilities. Through awakening the spirit of inquiry, we encourage each student to pursue integrity and excellence. Our non-competitive community builds honesty, respect, compassion and responsibility. Our goal is to develop a lifelong habit of learning as embodied in our school's motto Aun Aprendo, I am still learning.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia / Language-based and Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges, (WASC), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Submit Review for Besant Hill School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 245 students 50.6 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
December 05, 2017
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
December 02, 2017
Here are some considerations to ponder whilst choosing schools and when your child is actually away at school.
December 02, 2017
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.