5.00 (11 reviews)
3152 Forest Lake Road
Pebble Beach, CA 93953
Pebble Beach, CA 93953
Stevenson School Photo #2 - Stevenson has a remarkable athletics culture that balances good sportsmanship, competitiveness, and camaraderie.
Stevenson School Photo #3 - Stevenson students engage the sciences not only in the classroom and lab, but through broad participation in science fairs and competitions at the local, state and national level. Many students work one-on-one with faculty on individual research projects, too.
Stevenson School Photo #4 - The Fine Arts department offers dance, music, drama, painting, ceramics, graphic design, and more. There are no limits to self-expression and developing your creative talents.
Stevenson School Photo #5 - Students gather around a warming fire in the outdoor fire pit on a cool evening.
- Stevenson School is a selective, co-ed college preparatory school for 500 boarding and day students, nestled securely within the world-renowned coastal community of Pebble Beach, California.
- Named after storyteller and adventurer Robert Louis Stevenson, the school embraces his independent spirit by valuing challenge, creativity, curiosity, responsibility, and self-expression in all of its pursuits.
- Rigorous academics are the core of Stevenson’s program—with a 10:1 student-faculty ratio, average class size of 14, and 1:1 advisory program.
- Emphasizing critical thinking and inquiry-based learning, we offer 23 Advanced Placement classes, including BC Calculus, Chinese, Environmental Science, Art History—just to name a few.
- With 100% student college acceptance rate, our trained College Center staff guides students to the right college that best fits their interests and strengths.
- Last year, one hundred thirty-one students received 578 college acceptances.
- We offer three theatrical main stage productions a year and eight instrumental and vocal musical troupes; art classes ranging from painting, sculpture, and drawing to digital art, architecture, and fashion; ballet, jazz, and modern dance instruction, as well as the largest student-run radio station in the Western United States (KSPB 91.9).
- With 24 spirited and competitive interscholastic teams – including football, lacrosse, golf, water polo, soccer, field hockey, sailing, baseball, volleyball and much more - students can excel at a favorite sport and are welcome to try a new one.
- Our professional coaching staff is student-focused and values sportsmanship above all else—and teams bring home local, regional, and state championships.
- Our 500 students maintain a community of respect, diversity, and friendships that last a lifetime--with a ratio of 60% boarding and 40% day, representing 25 countries and 19 states.
- And no matter where our students are from—Singapore, Kazakhstan, Mexico, or just around the corner--we prepare them to go to amazing places.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stevenson University Every teacher is always accessible and they are always friendly. I felt so at home there. They also have a counseling center where they take ideas from students about how to improve the school psychologically. . .
- Elon University Stevenson is a stunning atmosphere both beauty and quality of life. The school is situated in Pebble Beach, on the beautiful Monterey Peninsula. However, the scenery is not the most beautiful part about Stevenson. The. . .
- Santa Clara University The most striking thing about Stevenson School is the immense support system at so many different levels. No matter what issues you may face, there is the exact person you need to help you there. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Stevenson School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||5-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||Pre-K-12|
|Campus Size||60 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||750 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1330||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$31 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||68%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Bernadette Sotak|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||52||23|
|Extracurriculars||ABC Club, American Field Service, Amnesty International Club, Blue Notes (A Cappella - Girls), Breakfast Bible Study, Chess Team, Computer Club, Cycling Club, Dance Club, Debate Society, Environment Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Fencing Club, Hunger Education and Response Training Council (H.E.A.R.T.), Jewish Union, Multi-Ethnic Club Cultural Awareness (M.E.C.C.A.), PANGAEA (Diversity), Paumonak (Student Arts Journal), Peer Mediators, Physics and Engineering Club, Prefect Board, Resident Advisors, Rules and Discipline Committee, Scholar Bowl, Science Bowl, Skeet Club, SPIRITUALS, String Orchestra, Student Rock Bands, TEPS, The Tweeds (male a capella), Theatre and the Arts, Vailima, Yearbook, Young CEO's Club|
Club or Organization:
Alumni Committee, Chess Club, Dream Theater Club, Driven, Earthshine, European Car Club, Fantasy Book Club, Federation of Jewish Intellectuals, International Awareness Club, International Christian Fellowship (I.C.F.), Kayaking, Multicultural Student Union, Outdoor Skills, Student Vestry, The Dames (female a capella), The Tabard Inn (Senior Discussion Club)
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2007 - 2011||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||33|
|University of Southern California||23|
|University of California, Santa Barbara||19|
|University of California, Berkeley||17|
|University of California, Santa Cruz||15|
|University of Colorado at Boulder||15|
|University of Arizona||14|
|University of California, Davis||14|
|University of California, Los Angeles||13|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Stevenson offers an exceptional educational opportunity at a boarding school in the most picturesque part of California. Stevenson's educational philosophy may be different from that of any other school you are considering. Our approach to education starts with you. You are here to prepare for your college years—so work constantly to sharpen your mind, to expand your academic knowledge, and to stretch your intellectual reach. In the meantime, remember that you are more than an academic machine. We want you to love learning and achievement—but we also want you to love the arts, nature, recreation, friends and your own evolving perspective on the world. Respect yourself, and respect everyone else whose life touches yours. We believe that if you can meet these requirements—within an environment as beautiful as Stevenson's, and among people as intelligent and congenial as the ones here—your high school years will turn out to be more fulfilling than you had ever expected.
- Stevenson School accreditations: Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Paul Saffo '72 - Forecaster and Essayist, Institute for the Future, Menlo Park, CA
- Chris Flavin '73 - President, World Watch Inc., Washington, D.C.
- Carie Crandall '79 - Managing Director, New York Stock Exchange, Palo Alto, CA
- David Drummond '81 - Chief Counsel, Google Inc., Mountain View, CA
- Cynthia Chapman '83 - Attorney/Partner, Caddell & Chapman, Houston, TX
- Ms. Shea Pepper '90 - Creative Director, BBC America, New York, NY
- Emily Chan '92 - Director, Doctors Without Borders, Hong Kong, HK
- Sylvain White '93 - Film Director,
- Jonathan Ferrantelli '97 - Post Production Film,
- Robert Grube '04 - Member, 2007 NCAA Golf Championship Team, Stanford University
- Submit Review for Stevenson School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 249 students 169.2 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
The Association of Boarding Schools has a common admissions application form which simplifies the admissions application process.
Here are some answers to the more common concerns we parents have when our child goes off to boarding school.
Teaching in a residential school brings its own challenges as well as some very powerful advantages. Here's how to survive your stint as a teacher in a boarding school.