The Webb Schools
The Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology is the only fully accredited museum located on a high school campus in North America. Our museum program involves students in all aspects of the scientific process--from discovery to published research.
Webb's mission is to graduate honorable leaders--young men and women of character with moral courage and critical thinking skills.
Webb offers a broad-based liberal arts education where learning happens through authentic discovery and challenging coursework. We strive to develop students' abilities to think and learn independently, collaborate productively with peers, and communicate effectively.
Webb offers a competitive interscholastic athletic program for students of all skill levels with 42 teams participating in 15 sports. Our new, state-of-the-art aquatics center is perfect for swimming, diving and water polo competitions. In addition to athletics, our afternoon program offers students a variety of other activities in which to participate.
Webb offers introductory and advanced level courses in art, music and theater. Our campus is home to two performing arts spaces including the Copeland-Donahue Theater and Susan A. Nelson Performing Arts Center.
Located at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, our campus setting provides easy access to hiking, snorkeling, rock climbing and other outdoor adventures.
Although community service hours are not required at Webb, many of our students voluntarily choose to participate in one or more of our numerous service activities. In the past few years, our students have traveled to Costa Rica, Thailand, Romania, Australia, Nepal, Fiji and three countries in Africa on service trips.
- Two schools on one campus: Vivian Webb School for girls and Webb School of California for boys.
- The only accredited museum of paleontology located on a high school campus in North America.
- These attributes just begin to describe what makes Webb, Webb.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Occidental College The Webb Schools is unique in many ways different than other boarding schools. One being that it is a boy's school and a girl's school on one shared campus. This allows the freshman and sophomore. . .
- UC San Diego I think there was generally a good work-life balance, or more like study-life balance at Webb. The community was small enough that we would know most everybody, teachers cared tremendously for the students, sports were. . .
- United States Military Academy The classroom setting of a round table discussion instead of lecture based teaching. I believe it really puts the pressure on the student to understand what is going on in the class and bring an. . .
- Pitzer College Having half of the student body as day students creates an interesting dynamic and environment. Also, the paleontology museum makes Webb very unique.. . .
- University of California San Diego Webb has a clear focus on community and it really shows. When you are a student you become best friends with the faculty and your fellow students, traversing the boundaries of what most schools can. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|The Webb Schools||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||70 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||413 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||2000||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||16 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$32 million||$18 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jamila Everett|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||17|
|Courses||Advanced Studies in Paleontology, Advanced Studies Linear Algebra, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP Language & Composition, AP Literature & Composition, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, AP World History, Honors Advanced Museum Research, Honors American Literature, Honors Biology, Honors Chamber Singers, Honors Foundation of Virtue, Honors French 2, Honors French 3, Honors Integrated Math II, Honors Museum Research, Honors Paleontology, Honors Precalculus, Honors Spanish 2, Honors Spanish 3, Honors Strings Sinfonia Orchestra, Honors Studio Art, Honors Winds Sinfonia Orchestra|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||36||24|
|Extracurriculars||Yearbook - "El Espejo"|
Club or Organization:
Acappella, Archive Club, Astronomy Club, Chess Club, Community Service Club, Computer Club, Cooking Club, Debate Club, Dorm Prefects, Farm and Forest, Fencing Club, French Club, Honor, Indoor Sports, Mock Trial, Model UN, Museum, Newspaper, Orchestra, Photography Club, Radio Station, Robotics, Student Government, Tour Guides
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Portfolio Club, Dance Club, Drama Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Athletic Training, Baseball, Basketball Club, Fitness Club, Outdoor Activities, Sports Reporting, Triathlon, Yoga
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Southern California, CA||44|
|New York University, NY||17|
|Wellesley College, MA||14|
|Cornell University, NY||11|
|University of California, Berkeley, CA||11|
|Barnard College, NY||10|
|University of Chicago, IL||9|
|Columbia University, NY||8|
|Harvard University, MA||8|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Art Clokey ’39 - Creator of Gumby
- James D. Watkins ’44 - Former U.S. Secretary of Energy
- John Trefethen '62 - Owner of Trefethen Vineyards
- Jon Congdon ‘81 - Co-founder of Product Partners, LLC; owner of Beachbody’s P90X workout plan
- Josh Marshall '87 - Editor and publisher of TalkingPointsMemo.com
- John Scalzi ’87 - Writer
- Punch Hutton ’89 - Vanity Fair editor
- Polly Liu ’91 - Founder of Beau-coup.com
- Hosain Rahman ’93 - Founder and CEO of Jawbone
- Otis Y. Chandler ’96 - Founder of Goodreads.com
- Submit Review for The Webb Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 245 students 139.4 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.
July 04, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.