Phillips Academy Andover
Welcome to the state of being curious about everything. We offer over 300 intensely interactive courses, all designed to inspire a lifelong love of learning.
The Growth Mindset-Students work with cutting edge tools; have opportunities for independent research, and collaborate with working scientists, on and off campus.
Think openly and deeply. Andover brings together bright, curious students with dynamic teacher-scholars.
All-School Meeting is our 'community classroom,' held almost every Wednesday in Cochran Chapel. Many ASMs feature distinguished guest speakers. Recent speakers included President George H.W. Bush '42, and novelist/poet Julie Alvarez '67.
In any given year, students perform in more than 100 concerts, Dance Labs, Drama Labs,and main stage dance and theater performances.
We offer 67 interscholastic teams in 21 different sports and our student-athletes are as passionate about sports as they are about coursework.
- Students come to Andover to join 1100 smart, engaged, passionate students from around the world; to work with brilliant, accomplished teachers; to have access to unparalled resources; and to feel a sense of limitless opportunity.
- Imagine a school where it's cool to be smart. What if you could learn and grow in a warm, welcoming community surrounded by smart, curious, motivated peers and inspirational teachers? At Andover, not only is it cool to be excited about Renaissance literature, a mysterious 19th-century skeleton, or AP math-your classmates are likely to share your enthusiasm. Conversations about issues like Middle East peace, gender roles, immigration, and sustainable energy, continue throughout the day.
- Imagine teachers who give you the freedom to think openly and deeply, to question and make mistakes. With more than 300 dynamic courses, Andover's rigorous academic program offers a strong foundation in the arts, humanities, mathematics, and natural sciences.
- Our more than 150 electives include student-faculty research, independent projects, and immersive learning opportunities locally and abroad. There is no single teaching method. Faculty share a philosophy of "learning by doing" and a zeal for using technology to inform and empower. The Academy's approach to teaching not only prepares students superbly for college, but also instills a lifelong love of learning.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Bowdoin College Phillips Andover has the motto 'Non SIbi' or 'Not For Self' which is taken very seriously and has been engrained in the culture of the academy for over 200 years. Non Sibi day is celebrated. . .
- Yale University Andover is pretty big for a boarding school so one thing that Andover has makes it special are clusters. There are five of them and they divide the school into smaller communities. They are residential. . .
- Eugene Lang the New School for Liberal Arts Andover is the biggest in student numbers of similar boarding schools and this gives it an incredibly diverse, dynamic character without losing the personalized feeling and small classes you would expect at this caliber. There. . .
- Harvey Mudd College Andover has made me realize how precious each moment is, no matter how mundane, tedious, or tiring it may seem at the time. Looking back, I treasure each memory, and try to remind myself to. . .
- Wesleyan University One aspect that sets Andover apart is the immense alumni network. I'm merely one year removed from Andover, but there are graduates of all ages that are ready to help. Andover has a network called. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 326 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Large student body (number of students)
- Diversity High percentage of students of color
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
- Offering Breadth Most extracurriculars offered
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Phillips Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||500 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||1150 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2118||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||70||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$970 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$39,800||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||James F. Ventre '79|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||70||16|
|Courses||A Room of Their Own: Women's Studies and Literature, A Social History of Latin America, Accelerated Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Biology, Advanced Chinese, Advanced College Chemistry, Advanced courses in painting, ceramics, drawing, photography, video, Advanced Electronic Music, Advanced Fourth-Level German, Advanced Latin Authors, Advanced Theory & Composition, Advanced Topics in French, African Literature, An Introductory Survey of African American Literature, AP AB Calculus, AP Accelerated AB Calculus, AP Accelerated BC Calculus, AP BC Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP Statistics, Applied Logic, Architecture, Asia (history), Atomic America: Service Learning, Calculus-Based Physics, California Dreaming, Chamber Music Performance Seminar, Children in Literature: Growing Up in a Changing World, Community Engagement in the City of Lawrence: We, the People (Spanish), Comparative Government, Contemporary American Poetry, Creative Nonfiction, Creative Writing: Fiction, Creative Writing:Poetry, Critical Race Theory: The American Dream Deferred, Current Events and Multimedia: Approaches to the Hispanic World (Spanish), Economics Research Colloquiem, Ethics:The Environment, Foundations of Modern Physics, Haunted by Shadows:Viewing African Independence through Lens and Literature, History of Art, Honors Computer Science Seminar: Software Design; Computer Graphics; Data Structures & Algorithms, Honors Math Seminar: Differential Equations; The Genius of Euler; Bayesian Statistics, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Introduction to Hispanic Literature (Spanish), Introduction to Theory and Composition, James Joyce, Justice and Globalization, Macroeconomics and the Global Consumer, Medieval Literature, Microeconomics and the Developing World, Molecular and Cellular Biology: Indepdendent Laboratory Research, Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra, Nonviolence and Social Change, Our Americas: Crossing Borders (Spanish), Out of Tune: Music and the State in the 20th Century, Playwriting, Race and Comparative American Literatures, Religion and Pilgrimage, Shakespeare, The American Civil War, The Internet in Print, The Middle East, The World in Pieces:Poetry and Cinema of the Avant-Garde, Twentieth Century Drama, U.S. History, Understanding Latin America (Spanish), Writers in Depth|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||26||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||176||23|
|Extracurriculars||3D Printing Club, Academy Manor Nursing Home volunteers, ActiveMinds Andover, AdoptaPlatoon, Afro-Latino-American Society (Af-Lat-Am), Alianza (Latino Student Alliance), Amnesty International Club, Andover Ambassadors, Andover Art Society, Andover Japanese Connection, Andover-Lawrence String Program, App Development, ARC Buddies, Archaeology and History Club, Architecture Club, Art Exchange, Art for Expression, Art Music Society, Asian Society, Astronomy Club, Azure, Babel Foreign Language Magazine, Backtracks Magazine, Baking Club, Ballroom Dance Society,|
|Year: 2014 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Chicago||0|
|University of Pennsylvania||0|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- One of the Latin mottoes on our seal translates as "The end depends on the beginning." Andover is a place where we're always beginning. We're always discovering new opportunities, experimenting with a approach, finding the courage to take risks. We're always looking for new ways to reach out to people in need, to work together with new communities. Always making room for you to be your most honest, authentic, daring self.
- We are a culturally rich, intentionally diverse community. With nearly every U.S. state and 45 countries represented on our campus, we have much to learn from one another. Learn more about 10 years of needs-blind admission: https://youtu.be/HzLS7cJp85s
- We offer over 300 courses with an average class size of 13. They are intensely interactive, all designed to inspire a lifelong love of learning.
- We have hundreds of friendly, caring faculty and staff members, including more than 200 classroom teachers-nearly all of whom live on campus. They are ever-present as teachers, coaches, academic advisors, house counselors, mentors, and lifelong resources.
- School accreditations: NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- President George Bush - 41st President of the United States
- Oliver Wendell Holmes - Poet, literary leader and doctor
- Benjamin Spock - Author; authority on child-rearing; anti-war activist
- Jack Lemmon - Academy Award-winning actor
- President George W. Bush - 43rd President of the United States
- Julia Alvarez - Poet, novelist, and author
- Frederick Law Olmstead - designed NYC's Central Park
- Christopher Hughes - co-founded Facebook and served as online strategist for Obama campaign
- Rebecca Dowling Adams - US's first female Top Gun pilot
Submit Review for Phillips Academy Andover
- School Location Miles Grades Students
July 20, 2017
American boarding schools face many challenges in the 21st century. We look at five of these and offer advice.
July 17, 2017
The media loves to focus on things like elitism and how boarding schools are just for troubled kids. Let's look at the truth.
June 28, 2017
Read frequently asked questions on a range of boarding school related topics.