The Kohler Environmental Center, opened in 2012, is the first teaching, research, and residential environmental center in U.S. secondary education with a focus on the environment. The year-long signature Environmental Immersion Program is open to 14 upperclassmen.
What's your artistic passion? Music? Theater? Visual arts? Choate's got a program for you. Participate in the spring musical, playwriting festival, or the numerous singing and musical groups on campus. In addition, the Arts Concentration Program offers a program for students who are able to demonstrate a commitment to their own artistic development.
Held in November, Deerfield Day ends the fall sports season. Choate's athletic rivalry with Deerfield Academy is the root of this legendary weekend. There's a Friday night pep rally and bonfire and various sport team competitions throughout Saturday.
Created by Rosemary Hall students many years ago, Garden Party is one of the school's cherished traditions. A special dress pre-graduation event, senior girls invite a junior girl and a faculty member to pass along Rosemary traditions to the junior girls. Other traditions? The Last Hurrah, the Spring Musical, Physics Phlotilla, Lessons and Carols, Senior Dance Lessons and Deerfield Day to name a few.
Choate's team name/mascot is The Wild Boars. Choate is a member of the Founders League, Western New England Preparatory School Athletics Association and District IV of the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council. No other high school in the nation can claim three graduates simultaneously on an Olympic team in any sport. Angela Ruggiero '98, Julie Chu '01 and Hilary Knight '07 were all members of the 2010 U.S. Women's Ice Hockey team.
- Choate Rosemary Hall is an innovative boarding and day school of 864 students and 118 teaching faculty.
- As a school, we are dedicated to transformative student experiences, as well as to cultivating a vibrant cohesive community that celebrates diversity and instills life-long habits of learning, leadership, and service. We are committed to enrolling exceptional students and to preparing them to achieve success in all aspects of their lives.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Brown University Choate has a welcoming and diverse student body. It is the perfect size student body and the perfect size campus. It is a tight knit community and in my experience felt supported personally, academically, and. . .
- Columbia University I think Choate is a lot less traditional than many of its peer schools, which was one of my favorite things about the schools. Choate has an open campus, so it's not as isolated or. . .
- Boston College Choate has a large campus but many of the dorms are close together which creates an awesome, close-knit community. It also has one of the best reputations for boarding schools in New England which makes. . .
- New York University It is a coeducational college-preparatory boarding school that focuses on small classes and extracurriculars. Choate features many signature programs such as the Science Research Program, Capstone, Directed Study, Term Abroad, and Environmental Immersion Program. Environmental. . .
- University of California, San Diego Academic excellence aside, what distinguishes Choate is the culture of caring promoted throughout the campus. The faculty and staff show a genuine care for the students' development outside of the classroom. As a. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 329 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Choate Rosemary Hall||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||458 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||862 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2026||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1880 - 2200||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$346 million
(As of June 30, 2016)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$41,835||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 10||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Amin Gonzalez|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||16|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Calculus AB (3 terms), AP Calculus AB (4 terms), AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language and Culture, AP Computer Science, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language and Culture, AP Latin, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory and Harmony, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics, AP United States History, AP US Government and Politics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||144||23|
|Extracurriculars||ACS Chemistry Club, Animated Arts Club, Any Where Autism Relates to Everyone (AWARE), Arabic Club, Architecture Club, Art Club, Asian Students Association, Astronomy Club, Bellacanto (coed a cappella), Beyond Choate (world news summaries), Beyond Choate-publication, Birding Club, Boar Pen - pep club, Boars Open Doors, Buddhist Meditation, Call to Care Uganda, Caribbean Club, Catholic, Catholic Community at Choate, Chess Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Choate Afro-Latino Student Alliance, Choate Against Cancer, Choate Amnesty International, Choate Chinese Teaching Program,|
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||57|
|George Washington University||32|
- Students from across the nation and the globe thrive in our rigorous, resource-rich academic community. In 2015 the School will open a new LEED Gold mathematics and computer science facility that will include a flexible space for robotics, as well as, i.d.Lab spaces that will allow our students to imagine, invent, dream, and design. Other unique opportunities: a year-long interdisciplinary honors Environmental Immersion Program at the LEED Platinum Kohler Environmental Center and our one-to-one iPad initiative.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Adlai Stevenson ’18 - former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations
- John F. Kennedy ’35 - 35th President of the United States
- Edward Albee ’46 - Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright
- Robert D. McCallum Jr. ’64 - former U.S. Ambassador to Australia
- Glenn Close '65 - Emmy, Tony and Golden Globe Award-winning film and stage actress
- Victoria J. Nuland ’79 - former U.S. Representative to NATO
- Paul Giamatti '85 - Emmy Award-winning broadway and film actor
- Angela Ruggiero ’98 - four-time Women’s Olympic Ice Hockey Champion
- Chris Denorfia '98 - center fielder for the San Diego Padres
- Hilary Knight '07 - 2010 Olympic Ice Hockey Champion, youngest member of Team USA
Submit Review for Choate Rosemary Hall
- School Location Miles Grades Students
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.