Cheshire Academy features a combination of academics, athletics, the arts, community service, leadership opportunities, a diverse environment, and a strong residential life program.
Small class sizes, offering breadth and depth of curriculum, enable students to challenge themselves both personally and academically.Advance Placement courses, the International Baccalaureate Programme, and our Roxbury Academy Support program help to meet students where they are academically and take them to the next level.
An active community life program keeps students involved after class hours, while the residential life staff continually searches for creative ways of making school a “home” for boarders.Throughout the year, Cheshire Academy hosts 'Community Weekends' to foster team-building and explore topics like diversity and health through all-school activities.
Cheshire Academy is a student-centered institution emphasizing both academic and character development.The Roxbury Academic Support Program is known for its individual and small group instruction, sessions that provide the structure, support, and strategies that students with different learning styles need in a traditional school setting.
This aerial view of Cheshire Academy highlights the over 100 acre campus, complete with state-of-the-art Simosa Track & Field and the surrounding town of Cheshire.The campus also includes its own Ropes Course, tennis courts and baseball diamond.
Students participate in an annual convocation to usher in each new school year; formal dress code and the school's official blazer is required each Friday, with semi-formal dress in effect during the rest of the school week.Students enjoy several traditions throughout the year, including CA Spirit Week and the highly anticipated Spring Fling.
Athletics have a long, proud heritage at Cheshire Academy, with three seasons of offerings at all skill levels.All students participate in our Afternoon Program, choosing from a wide range of athletics, clubs and activities. Sportsmanship and team participation are stressed as integral parts of the Cheshire Academy community.
Diversity is one of Cheshire Academy’s core values, and students travel from all over the world to become part of our family. Students who currently attend Cheshire Academy hail from over 30 different countries.During our International Festival Weekend each year, students represent their cultures by presenting music, food and history to the entire school.
- The Student-Centered School, Cheshire Academy is a community within a community, close to large cities, yet suburban enough that students feel comfortable on- and off-campus.
- What discoveries await a student here? There are as many answers to that question as there are students, because education that inspires the individual is our way of life.
- Students, teachers, coaches, and parents combine their diverse talents to create a learning and living environment that honors the differences in all of us.
- Our history includes women and men who changed the course of world events because they stood up for who they are, and we`re proud they learned to do that here.
- While our past makes us one of the nation`s oldest schools, our progressive curriculum encourages intellectual and ethical maturity for today`s global society.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Syracuse University My family's relationship with Cheshire predates my brother's and my attendance there; our grandfather was a student at the Academy in the 1940s. The family came back to the school because of the summer program. . .
- Johnson & Wales University I lived in a house that was converted into a dorm, with the dorm parent living on the 1st floor, and five students living on the 2nd floor. Because the dorm had so few. . .
- Guilford College One aspect of Cheshire Academy that I liked in particular was the diverse and inclusive feeling of the school. When I attended, CA had a large proportion of students from overseas, which made for interesting. . .
- Fordham University Was the perfect place for me at the time. Small classroom size suited my needs and forced me to get involved in the curriculum. Required study time at night helped me to develop good study. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Cheshire Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||104 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||437 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1661||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1520 - 1860||-|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Dress is business casual Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, with casual Wednesdays and formal Fridays.)
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||6||16|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||24||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$11 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$22,734||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 10 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Scott Pottbecker|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Sarah Thompson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||6||16|
|Courses||AP American Government, AP Calculus I-AB, AP Language & Composition, AP Literature & Composition, AP Music Theory, AP Psychology, AP Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||22||23|
|Extracurriculars||Campus, Chamber, Chess Club, Community, Computer Club, Craft, Drama Club, Dramatics, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Horizons, Jazz Club, Key, Martial, Math, National, Peer, Proctors, Prom, Ropes, Ski, Student, Yearbook|
|Year: 2013 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Connecticut||11|
|Michigan State University||6|
|New York University||6|
|Penn State University||6|
|University of Rochester||6|
|Hobart & William Smith Colleges||5|
|University of Delaware||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Student-Centered School, Cheshire Academy is a community within a community, close to large cities, yet suburban enough that students feel comfortable on- and off-campus. What discoveries await a student here? There are as many answers to that question as there are students, because education that inspires the individual is our way of life. Students, teachers, coaches, and parents combine their diverse talents to create a learning and living environment that honors the differences in all of us. Our history includes women and men who changed the course of world events because they stood up for who they are, and we`re proud they learned to do that here. While our past makes us one of the nation`s oldest schools, our progressive curriculum encourages intellectual and ethical maturity for today`s global society.
- Academics & College Prep: Cheshire stresses strong, informed college preparation. We offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, a range of honors classes, AP courses, electives, and independent studies. Academic support, including a writing center and math lab, rounds out our curriculum. A full-time college counseling team guides students through their college search process, and more than 150 college representatives visit campus each year. 2015 college acceptances included Brown, Bates College, Bowdoin College, Boston College, Cornell, Duke, Tufts, New York University, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt University, University of Michigan, and Bucknell.
- Athletics & Afternoon Programs: The tradition of athletics is integral to the life of Cheshire Academy. With programs including baseball, basketball, cross country, fencing, field hockey, football, golf, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, and wrestling, each student is encouraged to participate for a minimum of one season, although many choose to play all three. For those who want to explore a new sport, the beginning and junior varsity teams provide a chance to acquire basic skills, make new friends, and learn about sportsmanship. Cheshire Academy`s other afternoon programs introduce new interests and life-long passions that emphasize teamwork, goal setting, and self-confidence. Our community has produced a wide range of internationally recognized athletes, musicians, actors, novelists, and playwrights.
- Extracurricular Activities: Extracurricular activities are as varied as student interests, often organized in response to student requests. The Proctors, Student Council, Peer Counselors, and the National Honor Society provide student leadership. Our many other organizations include the Diversity Club, Key Club, Earth Club, Chess Club, Model U.N., and two computer clubs. A literary magazine and new multi-media clubs provide practical experience in writing, editing, photography, and digital imaging.
- Campus Life: Learning occurs not only in classrooms but also in halls and dormitories. A powerful connection is created when teachers also serve as dorm parents and advisors. Programs like the Citizenship Committee are fundamental to who we are as a school and a community. Each program adds to our authentic, whole-learning environment, and students are able to voice their opinions about the activities that interest them. To follow what our students are currently up to, find us on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/cheshireacademy
- Financial Assistance: Cheshire Academy annually awards $4.1 million in financial assistance. In addition, we award a four-year scholarship to a town resident, a three-year scholarship to an incoming sixth grader, and a scholarship from the Goizueta Foundation for a candidate of Latin background.
- Admission: There is much more to learn about us! We look forward to showing you our wonderful community. To arrange a tour, please contact the admission office at 203-439-7250.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges, National Association of Independent Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools, Connecticut Association of Independet Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Fred Friendly - Former president, CBS News
- Roberto C. Goizueta - Former chairman & CEO, Coca-Cola
- Joseph W. Hasel - Voice of the New York Giants
- Rockwell Kent - Artist
- Robert Ludlum - Author
- J.P. Morgan - Industrialist
- Angela Robinson - State Superior Court judge
- James Van Der Beek - Actor
- Gideon Welles - Secretary of the Navy (Lincoln)
- Patrick McCaskey - Director, board member, Chicago Bears
- Submit Review for Cheshire Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.