5.00 (9 reviews)
245 North Undermountain Road
Sheffield, MA 01257
Sheffield, MA 01257
- Founded in 1907, Berkshire School is a co-ed college preparatory boarding and day school for 400 ninth-12th graders and post-graduates, offering a forward-thinking curriculum and state-of-the-art facilities on a 400-acre campus in Sheffield, Massachusetts.
- Berkshire's signature programs, including Advanced Math/Science Research, Advanced Humanities Research, and the Sabin Entrepreneurial Prize, are offered along with advanced sections and AP offerings in all disciplines.
- These programs are designed to expand the minds, provide real-world experiences, and help distinguish our students in an increasingly competitive college process.
- With a range of artistic and athletic offerings and national recognition for our efforts in sustainability, Berkshire provides an extraordinary setting in which students are encouraged to learn in the words of the School motto: Pro Vita Non Pro Schola Discimus, "Learning-not just for school but for life.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Columbia University I wouldn’t trade my time at Berkshire for anything because of the extraordinary community that I joined. The students, teachers, faculty, and alumni I met at Berkshire were amazingly genuine and inspiring. Teachers are invested. . .
- Gettysburg College One of the most unique aspects of Berkshire is the strong sense of community, which forms in a natural manner from year to year. Both faculty and peers provide a sturdy support system that enables. . .
- Northeastern University Berkshire is more than a school: it is a lifestyle, a culture, and a family environment that makes you want to be successful in and out of the classroom everyday. Every person at Berkshire is. . .
- St. Lawrence University Their are many different aspects of Berkshire School that makes it different from the majority of boarding schools in the country. I would have to say that the interactions between students and faculty are extremely. . .
- Bates College Berkshire School is a fantastic boarding school. The campus is secluded beneath Mt. Everett and the rest of the Berkshire Mountains. It has no main roads traveling through the campus which gives the students an. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Berkshire School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||400 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||403 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Less than once a month|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Button-down shirts/blouses/dresses with a second layer: blazer, sweater, tie, cardigan, or scarf; Bottoms: pants and skirts, no jeans)
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$124 million|
(As of June 30, 2017)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$42,000||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||65%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Andrew Bogardus|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Dana Anselmi|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||17|
|Courses||Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, Physics C: Mechanics, Spanish Language, Studio Art 2D Design, Studio Art 3D Design, Studio Art Drawing, Biology, Statistics, US Government and Politics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||33||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
1907 Society, Afro-Latino Society, Badminton Club, Berkshire Birding Club, Debate Club, Dog Walking Club, Entrepreneurs Club, Environmental Action Club, Fly Fishing Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Green Key Club, Greensleeves (Boys' A Cappella), Investment Club, Jewish Student Union, Kids 4 Kids (Elementary School Tutoring), Maple Syrup Corporation, Math Team, Mock Trial Club, Model United Nations, Philanthropy Society, Quiz Bowl, Student Activities Committee, The Dome (Literature and Arts Journal), The Green and Gray (School Newspaper), Ursa Minor (Girls' A Cappella), VOCA (Voice of Cultural Awareness), WBSL Radio 91.7 FM, Yearbook, Yoga and Meditation Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance Program, Ritt Kellogg Mountain Program, Theater Productions
|Year: 2015 - 2017||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|St. Lawrence University||13|
|University of Colorado at Boulder||7|
|University of Denver||7|
|New York University||6|
|Wake Forest University||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1907, Berkshire School is a co-ed college preparatory boarding and day school for 400 ninth-12th graders and post-graduates, offering a forward-thinking curriculum and state-of-the-art facilities on a 400-acre campus in Sheffield, Massachusetts. Berkshire`s signature programs, including Advanced Math/Science Research, Advanced Humanities Research, and the Sabin Entrepreneurial Prize, are offered along with advanced sections and AP offerings in all disciplines. These programs are designed to expand the minds, provide real-world experiences, and help distinguish our students in an increasingly competitive college process. With a range of artistic and athletic offerings and national recognition for our efforts in sustainability, Berkshire provides an extraordinary setting in which students are encouraged to learn in the words of the School motto: Pro Vita Non Pro Schola Discimus, "Learning-not just for school but for life."
- Berkshire is committed to ensuring that each student has a unique and relevant learning experience. By design, every student makes an impact at Berkshire and no student is anonymous. Our enrollment size allows us to cultivate an exceptionally affirming and close-knit residential community. From the foundation of being known well, our students build confidence, which enables them to reimagine their potential in all areas of their development. Berkshire students genuinely care about each other-having a great sense of pride in seeing others do well-a distinguishing element that creates a healthy culture that balances ambition and humility.
- Berkshire's dedication to academic, artistic, and athletic excellence has led to record numbers in admissions, success and achievement in every corner of our campus, and nearly 90% of our graduates earning acceptances to the most selective colleges and universities. The talent and dedication of our students has produced Regeneron Science Talent Search semi-finalists, primary authorships on scholarly publications, Scholastic Art Award national medalists, and New England Championship athletic teams.Upon leaving Berkshire, our graduates are able to communicate effectively and persuasively, think critically and creatively, collaborate with others, and understand that they are part of something larger than themselves. They are a part of a global network of nearly 6,000 alumni, spanning 54 countries and 50 states.
- Berkshire strives to instill core values-curiosity, integrity, perseverance, inclusion, respect, and resilience-along with the critical skills, initiative, and confidence that will ensure our students` success in school and in life.
- School accreditations: New England Association of School and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Lincoln Kierstein '26 - Co-founder of the New York City Ballet
- William Knowles '34 - Recipient of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Calvin Tomkins '43 - Author and Art Critic for "The New Yorker"
- Stephen Malawista '50 - Lyme disease co-discoverer
- Jeff McLaughlin '84 - Olympic Bronze and Silver Medalist in Rowing
- Kristin Baker '93 - Artist
- Kacey Bellamy '05 - Two-time U.S. Olympic Silver Medalist in Women's Ice Hockey
- Kevan Miller '07 - NHL Boston Bruins Defenseman
- Kendall Coyne '11 - U.S. Olympic Silver Medalist in Women's Ice Hockey
- Jack Harrison '15 - MLS NYCFC Professional Soccer Player
- Submit Review for Berkshire School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
April 20, 2018
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
March 22, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.