- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 645 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $72,647
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $48,302
- Acceptance rate: 31%
- Average class size: 13 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
(Additional boarding student fees $3599. International additional boarding student fees $6944.)
(Additional day student fees $3797)
(Day student summer session cost is $3,950)
(average grant for day students is $30,716)
AP / Advanced Courses
Aerial Photography and Videography Club, Amnesty International, an Asian American advocacy group, Anglers Club, Animal Activist Club, Asian American Students Association, Atheist/Secular Humanist Students Association, Breakaway, Cancer Support Team, Chinese Student Association, Circle of Sisters, Debate Society, End the Silence of Relationship Violence Advocacy Group, Found Threads, Gemini (yearbook), Gender Sexuality Alliance, Getting Ahead of Global Epidemics, Green Cup Challenge, Interfaith Student Council, Investment Club, Jewish Students Alliance, Korean Student Association, Mandala (arts and literary magazine), Math Team, Me to We Club, Mindfulness Meditation, Model United Nations, Muslim Students Association, Nature-Centered Beliefs Group, NMH Outreach, Operation Happy Birthday, Peer Educators, Pokémon Trainers Association, Quiz Bowl, Room to Read, Science Club, Shark Club, South Asian Student Association, Spanish and Latino/a Students Association (SaLSA), St. Edmund Campion League of Catholic Students, Stream News, Student Alumni Association, Student Congress, Student Diversity Committee, Super Smash Brothers Club, The Bridge (student newspaper), The Brothers, The F Word (feminism), The Girl Effect, The Hermonite (student newspaper), The Prejudice Project, Third-Culture Kid Affinity Group, Vietnamese Student Association, VVar (vegan), WNMH Radio 106.7 FM, Youth Initiative
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappella Ensembles, Blue Key Society (Admission Tour Guide), Jazz Ensemble, NMH Pianists, NMH Singers, Quiz Bowl, Select Women’s Ensemble, Senior and Junior Dance Companies, Soapbox, Society for the Study of Political Ideologies (SSPI), Theater Program, Writers Forum
- Northfield Mount Hermon is a co-educational, secular boarding day school serving 650 students in grades 9 through 12, plus a postgraduate year. We are located on a serene, wooded 1,320-acre campus in Massachusetts` Connecticut River Valley.
- At NMH, students learn with passion, act with humanity, and lead with intention, as they find purpose in their potential. We provide an advanced educational experience that supports students as they discover and follow their passions in an inclusive, global community. Students come from almost 60 countries, and 25% of domestic students are students of color.
- NMH`s distinctive College-Model Academic Program (CMAP) allows students to explore subjects in greater depth and develop deeper relationships with their teachers. NMH`s average class size is 13 students, and our student-teacher ratio is 6 to 1. The NMH Advanced Program curriculum goes beyond typical AP courses, allowing students to take on college-level work and apply their learning using real-world skills and project-based assessments.
- NMH balances a challenging, innovative college-preparatory curriculum with extensive opportunities in international studies, athletics, the arts, and service. It`s an academic culture that prioritizes participatory, experiential learning; thoughtful exploration; and multi-disciplinary connections. Our curriculum-based campus life program is an immersive experience that connects learning objectives across all aspects of academic and residential life. Every member of our community is expected to engage across differing identities, recognize and challenge biases, and develop world views in a spirit of dialogue, not division.
- Each NMH student is surrounded by a network of compassionate adult mentors - advisors, teachers, coaches, and residential staff - who guide them and help them reach sky-high aspirations. This program, which we call Connection 360, connects residential life and advising systems to support each student`s growth.
- Northfield Mount Hermon accreditations: TABS, Institute for Independent Education; National Independent Private School Association; New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti '37 - Beat-generation poet; co-owner of City Lights Bookstore and publishing house
- Laura Linney ’82 - Academy Award-nominated actress; films include The Savages, The Nanny Diaries, Kinsey, You Can Count on Me
- Uma Thurman ’88 - Academy Award-nominated actress; films include The Producers, Pulp Fiction, Dangerous Liaisons
- S. Prestley Blake ’34 - Cofounder, Friendly Ice Cream
- Amy Domini ’68 - Founder and CEO of Domini Social Investments; creator of the Domini 400 Social Index; author of Socially Responsible Investing and The Challenges of Wealth
- William Rhodes ’53 - President, chairman, and CEO of Citibank, NA; senior vice chairman of Citigroup
- Arn Chorn-Pond ’86 - Founder of Children of War, Peacemakers, and Cambodia Master performers Program; winner of Reebok Human Rights Award
- Kimmie Weeks ’01 - Liberian child rights activist, UN advisor, director of Youth Action International/Peace for Kids
- Dallas Baker ’02 - Wide receiver for University of Florida Gators (winner 2006–07 college football national championship)
- Frank Shorter ’65 - Founding chairman of US Anti-Doping Agency; TV sports commentator; earned gold medal in 1972 Olympic marathon and silver in 1976
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Northfield Mount Hermon cost?
What schools are Northfield Mount Hermon often compared to?
What is the acceptance rate of Northfield Mount Hermon?
Who are famous alumni from Northfield Mount Hermon?
What sports does Northfield Mount Hermon offer?
Does Northfield Mount Hermon offer a summer program?
What is Northfield Mount Hermon's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Northfield Mount Hermon?
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2019
Class of 2018
Class of 2016
University of Rochester