Phillips Exeter Academy has a tradition of academic excellence, a distinguished faculty, and a long history of educating young people to find their place in the world. The heart of Exeter is its signature Harkness method of instruction.
The Harkness philosophy, developed at Exeter over 80 years ago, is centered on a way of thinking and engaging with others that requires preparation and provides a sense of readiness for learning, for college, for life. Exeter is a school for teenagers who want to be surrounded by peers who share their intellectual curiosity and raw excitement about learning.
The school is alive with learning: spirited conversations spill out of classrooms and make their way to the playing fields, theater stages, laboratories, the dining halls and the dorms.
Students are given the freedom to explore and know their intellect, to challenge themselves in new ways, and enjoy the richness of human interaction.
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 1,078 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $64,789
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $50,604
- Acceptance rate: 17%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15
- Source: Verified school update
Phillips Exeter Academy ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 289 schools) for:
Definition of Terms | 2023 School Data
Phillips Exeter Academy
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
% Students of Color
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Frequency of Saturday Classes
Classroom Dress Code
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
% Students on Financial Aid
Avg. Financial Aid Grant
(Day student average grant: )
(Day student average grant: )
Merit Scholarships Offered
Accepts Standardized Application
Average Percentile SSAT
Director of Admissions
John M. Hutchins
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling
Year: 2011 - 2013
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
New York University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Pennsylvania
- Phillips Exeter Academy is a co-educational residential school with students from the U.S. and over 30 foreign countries. Exeter has a centuries-old tradition of academic excellence and a commitment to empowering Exonians to find their place in the world.
- We are a community that celebrates curiosity and cultivates potential. With a student-to-teacher ratio of 5:1, more than 450 courses in 18 subject areas, and the opportunity to study on five continents, Exeter provides unparalleled opportunities for discovery and exploration, of both self and subject matter.
- We provide need-based financial aid that makes it possible for talented students to attend Exeter regardless of their family`s finances. Exeter works with families from all economic backgrounds to make tuition affordable. And, an Exeter education is free to any accepted student whose family income is $75,000 or less. We encourage all interested students to apply, regardless of their ability to pay.
- Phillips Exeter Academy accreditations: NAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Mark Zuckerberg - Founder and CEO, Facebook
- Dan Brown - Bestselling Author, The Da Vinci Code
- Pauline Chiou - Award-winning Anchor and Correspondent, CNN Hong Kong
- Win Butler - Lead Vocalist and Songwriter of Grammy Award-winning band Arcade Fire
- John Knowles - Author, A Separate Peace
- John Irving - Bestselling Author and Academy Award-winning Screenwriter, The World According to Garp, The Cider House Rules
- Suzy Welch - Bestselling Author, Television Commentator and Noted Business Journalist
- Pierre S. Du Pont - President, Du Pont; Chair and President, General Motors Corporation
- Robert Todd Lincoln - Son of President Abraham Lincoln, US Secretary of War
- Daniel Webster - US Senator from Massachusetts
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Phillips Exeter Academy cost?
Phillips Exeter Academy's tuition is approximately $64,789 for boarding students and $50,604 for day students.
What schools are Phillips Exeter Academy often compared to?
What is the acceptance rate of Phillips Exeter Academy?
The acceptance rate of Phillips Exeter Academy is 17%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 60%. Phillips Exeter Academy's acceptance rate is ranked as one of the top boarding schools with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from Phillips Exeter Academy?
Phillips Exeter Academy famous alumni include: Mark Zuckerberg, Dan Brown, Pauline Chiou, Win Butler, John Knowles, John Irving, Suzy Welch, Pierre S. Du Pont, Robert Todd Lincoln and Daniel Webster.
What sports does Phillips Exeter Academy offer?
Phillips Exeter Academy offers 28 interscholastic sports: Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track and Wrestling. Phillips Exeter Academy is ranked as one of the top boarding schools for most sports offered.
What is Phillips Exeter Academy's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Phillips Exeter Academy?
The application deadline for Phillips Exeter Academy is Jan. 15.
Alumni Reviews Review School
Phillips Exeter Academy Alumni #1
Class of 2021
Class of 2021
Phillips Exeter is distinct for its use of the Harkness Method and its unique athletic opportunities afforded by a robust alumni network and excellent teachers from various high-level academic positions within their fields. Harkness, a. . .
Phillips Exeter Academy Alumni #2
Class of 2020
Class of 2020
The Harkness method is one of Exeter's unique and best aspects. Teachers have very little involvement in class — homework is either reading or problem based, and nearly every class, from Math to English. . .
Phillips Exeter Academy Alumni #3
Class of 2019
Class of 2019
Exeter is the founding place of the Harkness method, in which students gather around a round table to discuss their homework and class material as a group. The idea of this method is that. . .
Show more reviews (27 reviews)
Nurturing Futures: A Journey through Boarding at Haut-Lac School in Switzerland
Nestled in the hills overlooking Lake Geneva in the French-speaking part of Switzerland lies an educational gem that embodies a unique blend of academic excellence, cultural richness and a profound sense of community. Founded over 30 years ago, Haut-Lac International Bilingual Day and Boarding School is now home to both 600 day students and a maximum of 30 boarders from around the world.
What To Wear at Your Job Interview
Navigating job interviews can be stressful, but knowing what to wear shouldn't be. Our comprehensive guide covers the essential dress code tips for men and women interviewing at boarding schools. Make your first impression count with style and professionalism.
Navigating the Modern Maze: Emerging Challenges for Boarding Schools
Explore the pressing challenges facing boarding schools, from marketing difficulties and rising insurance costs to facility maintenance and recruitment of competent trustees and teachers. This article delves into these complex issues and proposes innovative strategies to overcome them.