Phillips Exeter Academy
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #2 - Exeter students live and learn all over the world by participating in 40 off-campus programs from Iceland (shown) to South Africa to Washington, DC.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #3 - We have over 60 interscholastic teams in 20 sports, and additional athletic opportunities include club sports, yoga, dance and ultimate frisbee.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #4 - There are no desks, no lectures here. Students learn by listening and collaborating with a diverse group of peers around the Harkness table.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #5 - This is a community designed to help you make friends. From day one, you`re part of a dorm, whether you`re a boarder or a day student. Students live in the same dorm all four years, alongside resident advisers and friends of all ages.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #6 - Down-time dilemma: It`s hard to be bored at Exeter, when you can walk downtown, hang out on the quad or get involved with some of the 100 student-led clubs.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #7 - Everyone on campus gathers twice weekly for assembly, a shared cultural experience featuring notable speakers, performances or campus-wide celebrations.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #8 - Exeter brings together curious students from all over the world and from all backgrounds to learn from each other. You will be at the center of it all, with a community of friends right by your side.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #9 - Big Red spirit runs high at Exeter. It`s especially on display during sporting events.
- Phillips Exeter Academy has a tradition of academic excellence, a distinguished faculty, and a long history of educating young people to find their place in the world. The heart of Exeter is its signature Harkness method of instruction.
- The Harkness philosophy, developed at Exeter over 80 years ago, is centered on a way of thinking and engaging with others that requires preparation and provides a sense of readiness for learning, for college, for life. Exeter is a school for teenagers who want to be surrounded by peers who share their intellectual curiosity and raw excitement about learning.
- The school is alive with learning: spirited conversations spill out of classrooms and make their way to the playing fields, theater stages, laboratories, the dining halls and the dorms.
- Students are given the freedom to explore and know their intellect, to challenge themselves in new ways, and enjoy the richness of human interaction.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Colorado College Exeter is the founding place of the Harkness method, in which students gather around a round table to discuss their homework and class material as a group. The idea of this method is that. . .
- Northwestern University Phillips Exeter Academy created a wonderful atmosphere to grow and develop as a human being rather than just as a student. Its use of the Harkness method encourages students to speak up and form nuanced. . .
- Harvey Mudd College Exeter is known for the Harkness method, and for good reason. Because we use it in every class, it really permeates all other aspects of life at Exeter. Even casual conversations at the dining hall. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Phillips Exeter Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 318 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Phillips Exeter||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||673 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||1081 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(Upper School (9th through 12th graders) $1,400)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$48,735|
(Day student average grant: )
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||94%||-|
|Director of Admissions||John M. Hutchins|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||28||16|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Year: 2011 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||34|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||27|
|University of Pennsylvania||22|
- Phillips Exeter Academy is a co-educational residential school with students from the U.S. and over 30 foreign countries. Exeter has a centuries-old tradition of academic excellence and a commitment to empowering Exonians to find their place in the world.
- We are a community that celebrates curiosity and cultivates potential. With a student-to-teacher ratio of 5:1, more than 450 courses in 18 subject areas, and the opportunity to study on five continents, Exeter provides unparalleled opportunities for discovery and exploration, of both self and subject matter.
- We provide need-based financial aid that makes it possible for talented students to attend Exeter regardless of their family`s finances. Exeter works with families from all economic backgrounds to make tuition affordable. And, an Exeter education is free to any accepted student whose family income is $75,000 or less. We encourage all interested students to apply, regardless of their ability to pay.
- Phillips Exeter Academy accreditations: NAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Mark Zuckerberg - Founder and CEO, Facebook
- Dan Brown - Bestselling Author, The Da Vinci Code
- Pauline Chiou - Award-winning Anchor and Correspondent, CNN Hong Kong
- Win Butler - Lead Vocalist and Songwriter of Grammy Award-winning band Arcade Fire
- John Knowles - Author, A Separate Peace
- John Irving - Bestselling Author and Academy Award-winning Screenwriter, The World According to Garp, The Cider House Rules
- Suzy Welch - Bestselling Author, Television Commentator and Noted Business Journalist
- Pierre S. Du Pont - President, Du Pont; Chair and President, General Motors Corporation
- Robert Todd Lincoln - Son of President Abraham Lincoln, US Secretary of War
- Daniel Webster - US Senator from Massachusetts
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Phillips Exeter Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.