Phillips Exeter Academy
School spirit runs high at sporting events, thanks in part to the Red Bandits, who lead cheers and stir up the crowds.
The entire campus gathers twice weekly for assembly, a shared cultural experience featuring notable speakers, performances or campus-wide celebrations.
We have 60 interscholastic teams in 20 sports, and additional athletic opportunities include club sports, yoga, dance and ultimate frisbee.
- Phillips Exeter Academy has a tradition of academic excellence, a distinguished faculty, and a long history of educating young people to find their place in the world. The heart of Exeter is its signature Harkness method of instruction.
- The Harkness philosophy, developed at Exeter over 80 years ago, is centered on a way of thinking and engaging with others that requires preparation and provides a sense of readiness for learning, for college, for life. Exeter is a school for teenagers who want to be surrounded by peers who share their intellectual curiosity and raw excitement about learning.
- The school is alive with learning: spirited conversations spill out of classrooms and make their way to the playing fields, theater stages, laboratories, the dining halls and the dorms.
- Students are given the freedom to explore and know their intellect, to challenge themselves in new ways, and enjoy the richness of human interaction. Hear more from the students on our admissions blog.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Carnegie Mellon University Exeter offers an incredible level of academic rigor coupled with amazing and diverse students. With small classes held around a Harkness Table, the wonderful students Exeter aggregates create a fantastic learning environment. . .
- NYU The most unique, and in my opinion best, thing about Exeter is the Harkness method. You won't be lectured by teachers all day but will instead be expected to learn and help to teach others. . .
- Cornell University The Harkness table was one of the best things that ever happened to me. As a low income student coming from a very reserved community, and a school where talking was discouraged, Exeter quickly became. . .
- University of the Virgin Islands The implementation of the Harkness method in all aspects of learning makes Exeter stand out from all other boarding schools that I am familiar with. It requires you to be quick, some days it was. . .
- University of Washington The Harkness method in every class room, including all the math and science classes, definitely makes Exeter stand out from every other school. As a student, you feel engaged and motivated to succeed, and you. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 324 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Large student body (number of students)
- Diversity High percentage of students of color
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
- Offering Breadth Most extracurriculars offered
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Phillips Exeter||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||619 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||1084 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||31||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1150 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$44,923||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||94%||-|
|Director of Admissions||John M. Hutchins|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||28||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||159||23|
|Extracurriculars||Adult Education, Afro-Latino Exonian Society, Afterburners Club (rocketry), American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Amnesty International Club, Angels, Animation Club, Anthropology Club, Aquatics, Archery Club, Asia Connection, Asian Society, Asian Students Association, Astronomy Club, Attitude, Branch-Soule Debate Society, Bridge Club, Broadside, Building With Books, Business Club, Catholic, Chamber, Chess Club, Chinese Students Association, Christian Fellowship Club,|
|Year: 2011 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||34|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||27|
|University of Pennsylvania||22|
- Phillips Exeter Academy seeks students who combine proven academic ability, intellectual curiosity, and tenacity with decency and good character. True to its mission defined more than two centuries ago, Exeter continues the commitment to unite knowledge and goodness. `Goodness without knowledge is weak and feeble, yet knowledge without goodness is dangerous, and that both united form the noblest character, and lay the surest foundation of usefulness to mankind.`
- Since its founding, Exeter has provided need-based financial aid that has made it possible for talented students to receive an Exeter education. An Exeter education is free to any accepted or current student whose family income is $75,000 or less. This initiative, in conjunction with our strong middle income financial aid initiative, means that 95% of families in the US are at income levels that, depending on their circumstances, make them eligible for financial aid at Exeter. We encourage all interested students to apply to Exeter -- regardless of their ability to pay.
- Follow our admissions blog to learn more!
- School accreditations: NAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Mark Zuckerberg - Founder and CEO, Facebook
- Dan Brown - Bestselling Author, The Da Vinci Code
- Pauline Chiou - Award-winning Anchor and Correspondent, CNN Hong Kong
- Win Butler - Lead Vocalist and Songwriter of Grammy Award-winning band Arcade Fire
- John Knowles - Author, A Separate Peace
- John Irving - Bestselling Author and Academy Award-winning Screenwriter, The World According to Garp, The Cider House Rules
- Suzy Welch - Bestselling Author, Television Commentator and Noted Business Journalist
- Pierre S. Du Pont - President, Du Pont; Chair and President, General Motors Corporation
- Robert Todd Lincoln - Son of President Abraham Lincoln, US Secretary of War
- Daniel Webster - US Senator from Massachusetts
- Submit Review for Phillips Exeter Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
October 24, 2017
How to handle five basic challenges involved in choosing a boarding school.
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.