The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy)
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #2 - Thoughtful Balance: Encouraging students to embrace the joys, challenges, and rewards of a well-rounded life.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #3 - With True Courage: A fundraising campaign investing in our community`s people, programs, and places.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #4 - Building Character: The courage to try something is as respected as the ability to win.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #5 - Rich History: Combining centuries of tradition with a dedication to educational innovation.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #6 - Creative Exploration: The fine and performing arts foster creativity, resilience, critical thinking, and joy.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #7 - Building Character: The courage to try something is as respected as the ability to win.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #8 - Inclusive Community: Different personal experiences are the threads that define and connect us.
- The Governor's Academy is the oldest continuously operated boarding school in the U.S. Established as Dumm'r Charity School in 1763 through a bequest from Massachusetts Bay Lieutenant Governor William Dummer, what is now called The Governor's Academy provided the foundation for the preparatory school tradition in America.
- Today, more than 400 boarding and day students from 23 states and 18 countries create a vibrant, fascinating global community.
- Students flourish in a diverse community distinguished by enduring relationships with teachers and defined by a commitment to learning and a thoughtful balance of academics, athletics, arts and service to others.
- The Academy offers a full range of visual and performing arts, more than 50 interscholastic athletics teams, and dozens of service, leadership, cultural, and recreational activities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Clark University The Governor´s Academy was known as Governor Dummer Academy when I applied, and it was still known that way for part of my time as a student there. As such, my classmates and I. . .
- Princeton One of the main things is that it has a block schedule, which makes it more like a college schedule while you are still in high school. Instead of having. . .
- Allegheny College GDA has many unique experiences to offer its students. However, I would say that the best thing about this small school is the people. In the dorms you not only live with your classmates, but. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 321 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Governor's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||465 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||402 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$75 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$45,659||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||81%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Michael Kinnealey|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||30||24|
|Extracurriculars||Book Club, Chamber Orchestra, Chapel, Chorus, Christian Fellowship Club, Circle of Sisters, Concert Band, Concert Choir, Creative Writing Club, Dance Company of NMH, Deacons of the Church of Christ, Debate Club, Drama Club, Entrepreneurship Club, Environmental Club, GEECS: Guild of Electrical Engineers, Gemini: yearbook, Guitar Lessons, Peer Advisors, Proctors for Mansion House, Productions Club, Project Outreach, Social Committee, Student And Faculty Alliance, Student Center & Performing Arts Center, The Big Wind Jazz Band, The Governor (student newspaper), The Lorax, The Milestone (yearbook), The Spire (literary magazine)|
|Year: 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York university (NYU)||5|
|Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)||3|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||2|
|University of Pennsylvania||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Academy offers a challenging, thought-provoking, and student-centered curriculum that inspires a passion for learning. By focusing on the learning process and the development of 7 Essential Skills (http://www.thegovernorsacademy.org/page.cfm?p=2803), The Governor's Academy teaches students how to think critically, creatively, and independently. We encourage students to acquire knowledge through hands-on activity, multi-disciplinary inquiry, analysis, and reflection. Many structures, including the advising system, extra-help sessions, and evening study hours--supervised by dormitory parents--help students learn to study and manage their time well. Our goal is to teach young people to become actively accountable for their own learning and to grow by learning with others. Classes meet for 60- and 90-minute periods, affording students and teachers more opportunity to explore subject matter in depth, from different perspectives and with a variety of classroom activities. In addition to traditional assessments such as tests and papers, students debate, conduct hands-on laboratory and field experiments, make oral presentations, research in groups, use technology to create presentations, and design their own portfolios. Students and faculty bring to The Governor's Academy a richness of experience, perspective, and diversity which adds immeasurably to the education of all. This is the spirit that inspires a community--this family--of learners. During the past decade, many new buildings have been erected or renovated, including the Math and Science Center, Library, Student Center, Performing Arts Center, renovated dining hall, new ice hockey arena, synthetic turf field, and dormitory. For more information about admission, please contact Mike Kinnealey, Director of Admission, at email@example.com.
- The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges; Association of Boarding Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Booker T. Washington Jr. - son of famous abolitionist, statesman and author
- Yu Kil Chun - first Korean to study in West; essayist and social reformer
- Theophilus Parsons - helped draft Bill of Rights and developed US judiciary system
- Edward Preble - Commodore of the USS Constitution
- Dan Gadzuric - NBA basketball player
- Jeb Bradley - Congressman - New Hampshire
- Samuel Phillips - Founder of Phillips Academy, Andover
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.