The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy)
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #2 - Thoughtful Balance: Encouraging students to embrace the joys, challenges, and rewards of a well-rounded life.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #3 - With True Courage: A fundraising campaign investing in our community's people, programs, and places.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #4 - Building Character: The courage to try something is as respected as the ability to win.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #5 - Rich History: Combining centuries of tradition with a dedication to educational innovation.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #6 - Creative Exploration: The fine and performing arts foster creativity, resilience, critical thinking, and joy.
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Photo #7 - Building Character: The courage to try something is as respected as the ability to win.
- Bright, bold, and ambitious students have been learning and growing at The Governor`s Academy, the oldest boarding school in New England, for over 250 years.
- Located in Byfield, Massachusetts, thirty-three miles north of Boston and five miles south of Newburyport, our expansive campus is bordered by the Parker River and the Great Marsh.
- Govs is an open, optimistic learning community filled with life-changing opportunities.
- Students in ninth through twelfth grade learn and grow at Govs in our classrooms, studios, theaters, fields, and courts.
- Surrounded by friends and teachers, our students discover and develop their passions across academics, arts, and athletics, and achieve excellence.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Clark University The Governor´s Academy was known as Governor Dummer Academy when I applied, and it was still known that way for part of my time as a student there. As such, my classmates and I. . .
- Princeton One of the main things is that it has a block schedule, which makes it more like a college schedule while you are still in high school. Instead of having. . .
- Allegheny College GDA has many unique experiences to offer its students. However, I would say that the best thing about this small school is the people. In the dorms you not only live with your classmates, but. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 305 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Governor's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||465 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||410 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$75 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$47,511||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||81%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Michael Kinnealey|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||24|
|Extracurriculars||Book Club, Chamber Orchestra, Chapel, Chorus, Concert Band, Concert Choir, Creative Writing Club, Dance Company of NMH, Debate Club, Drama Club, Entrepreneurship Club, Environmental Club, Guitar Lessons, Peer Advisors, Proctors for Mansion House, Productions Club, Project Outreach, Social Committee, Student And Faculty Alliance, Student Center & Performing Arts Center, The Governor (student newspaper), The Milestone (yearbook), The Spire (literary magazine), Tour Guides|
|Year: 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York university (NYU)||5|
|Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)||3|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||2|
|University of Pennsylvania||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Academy offers a challenging, thought-provoking, and student-centered curriculum that inspires a passion for learning. By focusing on the learning process and the development of 7 Essential Skills, The Governor's Academy teaches students how to think critically, creatively, and independently. We encourage students to acquire knowledge through hands-on activity, multi-disciplinary inquiry, analysis, and reflection. Many structures, including the advising system, extra-help sessions, and evening study hours--supervised by dormitory parents--help students learn to study and manage their time well. Our goal is to teach young people to become actively accountable for their own learning and to grow by learning with others. Classes meet for 60 and 90-minute periods, affording students and teachers more opportunity to explore subject matter in depth, from different perspectives and with a variety of classroom activities. In addition to traditional assessments such as tests and papers, students debate, conduct hands-on laboratory and field experiments, make oral presentations, research in groups, use technology to create presentations, and design their own portfolios. Students and faculty bring to The Governor's Academy a richness of experience, perspective, and diversity which adds immeasurably to the education of all. This is the spirit that inspires a community--this family--of learners. During the past decade, many new buildings have been erected or renovated, including the Math and Science Center, Library, Student Center, Performing Arts Center, renovated dining hall, new ice hockey arena, synthetic turf field, and dormitory. For more information about admission, please contact Mike Kinnealey, Director of Admission, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy) accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges; Association of Boarding Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Booker T. Washington Jr. - Son of famous abolitionist, statesman and author
- Yu Kil Chun - First Korean to study in West; essayist and social reformer
- Theophilus Parsons - Helped draft Bill of Rights and developed US judiciary system
- Edward Preble - Commodore of the USS Constitution
- Dan Gadzuric - NBA basketball player
- Jeb Bradley - Congressman - New Hampshire
- Samuel Phillips - Founder of Phillips Academy, Andover
- Duncan Robinson - NBA basketball player
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Governor's Academy (formerly Governor Dummer Academy)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?