- Founded in 1901, and located in one of this country's most historic towns, Concord, Massachusetts, Middlesex aspires to help its students "find their promise" through immersion in a rigorous academic program, inclusive extracurricular programs in arts and athletics, and a commitment to service. Middlesex students are exposed to a breadth and depth of opportunities typically found at only a much larger school.
- Over 150 classes include five languages, a much emulated Writing Program, and over 50 advanced and AP sections that wil stretch students intellectually as they pursue academic passions.
- At Middlesex, everyone engages in cocurricular life, participating in a thriving arts program (including a third of the school performing via vocal, instrumental or dramatic groups) that ofters opportunities for the beginner to high-end artist; similarly, each student participates in athletics, and we have a home for both the elite athlete and those new to team sports.
- All of this work takes place in a community strengthened by our shared commitment to five core values: honesty, respect, kindness, gratitude, and courage.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Brown University The two primary aspects that I believe differentiate Middlesex (MX) from other independent schools are its class schedule and its student body composition. MX has a six day class schedule; every week, students have. . .
- Cornell University The first unique aspect of Middlesex that comes to mind is our plaque tradition. It is and always has been a graduation requirement to carve a plaque and every single one is hung up. . .
- Harvard College An aspect of Middlesex that truly sets it apart from other boarding schools is the strong relationships formed between the students and the faculty. Middlesex, probably by design, has it so that an individual can. . .
- Amherst One aspect of Middlesex that makes it unique is the sense of community that exists between students, faculty, staff, and administrators. There is an incredible amount of support that stems from all sides and. . .
- Stanford University One big thing that differentiates Middlesex from other boarding schools is the strength of its writing and English program. Middlesex's program is anchored by Writing Workshop, a program developed by the head of the English. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 327 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most extracurriculars offered
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Middlesex School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||350 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||401 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2080||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1870 - 2220||-|
|Average ACT score||31||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||61||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$236 million||$16 million|
(No additional fees)
(No additional fees)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$44,900||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||86%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Douglas C. Price|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||61||16|
|Courses||Advanced Approaches to Acting, Advanced Astronomy, Advanced Data Structures, Advanced French--The Francophone World, Advanced Greek Literature, Advanced Photography, Advanced Studies in Latin Literature, Advanced Studies in Latin Poetry, Advanced Studio Projects, Advanced Topics in Computer Science, Afro-American History, AP Art History , AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Studies, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Government and Politics, AP Latin ( Vergil), AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History, Art and Life in Nineteenth-Century France, British Romantic Literature, Engineering, Era of the American Civil War, Fantasy Literature in English, Fiction Writing, Forms of Poetry, Global. Studies, History of Dissent, Jane Austen, Modern American Poetry, Multivariable Calculus, Narratives of Nationhood, Nature Writing: Thoreau and Emerson, Postcolonial Literature, Seminar in Advanced Computer Science, Seminar in Advanced Mathematics, Studies in Medieval Literature, The American Romantic Tradition, The Harlem Renaissance, The Hero in 20th Century Literature, The Novel after Modernism, The Personal Essay, Utopias and Dystopias, Vector Calculus, War and Reconciliation|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||68||23|
|Extracurriculars||Alumni Ambassador, Amnesty International Club, Animation Club, Astronomy Club, Bateman's Bullfrogs, Bonsai Club, Chess Club, Children's Play, Chorus, Circle of Women, Common Sense (Environmental Organization), Community Service Club, Contemporary Chamber Ensemble, Cooking Club, Cowboys' Lunch, Diversity Club, Divine Visions (Step Dance), Fancy Dress Friday, Finance Club, Fishing Club, Freedom of Speech, French Club, Frisbee Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Horror Movie Club,|
|Year: 2013 - 2017||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Chicago||15|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Middlesex School Mission and History
- Frederick Winsor wanted the school he founded in 1901 to be distinct from the church-affiliated boarding schools of the time, and from its beginnings, Middlesex School has occupied a unique place in the independent school landscape. It is a non-sectarian School with a positive sense of tradition and mission. It is a school with small-school intimacy and big-school opportunity, a school that early on sought students from every part of the country through a National Scholarship Program. As it has grown, Middlesex has broadened its national and international reach while always benefiting from its local surroundings-the human and cultural capital of the Boston/Cambridge area. Middlesex School, both in the present and in the past, has preferred capacity in many areas to specialization in one. We believe a transparent and familiar community is an ethical community. We believe in our students. From the start, Winsor`s mission was to "find the promise that lies hidden" in every student, and that message of individuality, hope, and possibility guides us today. Our campus, designed by the Olmsted Brothers firm, remains centered on its iconic circle. We are fortunate to live in a beautiful setting that naturally brings our paths and our lives together. Radiating from a common sense of place and purpose, Middlesex continues to prepare its students for a changing world. We have evolved in many ways since our founding over a century ago. We have undergone renovation, conservation, expansion, and constant transition in person and place. Yet our buildings, our fields, our programs, and our ethos still cleave to a human scale fostering collegiality and contact. Despite the school`s continuous transformation, our mission, with our students at the center, remains the same.
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Steve Carell - Actor
- Kevin Systrom - Co-founder of Instagram
- Bill Richardson - Governor of New Mexico
- William Hurt - Academy Award Winning Actor
- Anthony Lake - Executive Director, Unicef
- Li Chung Pei - Architect
- Cass Sunstein - Head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs
- Kevin Systrom - Co-Founder of Instagram
- Martin Hoffman - US Secretary of the Army
- Conrad Aiken - Author
Submit Review for Middlesex School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
August 17, 2017
As you consider sending your child off to boarding school, you have concerns. Every parent does. We address some of those concerns for you.
August 16, 2017
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 05, 2017
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.