- Founded in 1901, and located in one of this country's most historic towns, Concord, Massachusetts, Middlesex aspires to help its students "find their promise" through immersion in a rigorous academic program, inclusive extracurricular programs in arts and athletics, and a commitment to service. Middlesex students are exposed to a breadth and depth of opportunities typically found at only a much larger school.
- Over 150 classes include five languages, a much emulated Writing Program, and over 50 advanced and AP sections that wil stretch students intellectually as they pursue academic passions.
- At Middlesex, everyone engages in cocurricular life, participating in a thriving arts program (including a third of the school performing via vocal, instrumental or dramatic groups) that ofters opportunities for the beginner to high-end artist; similarly, each student participates in athletics, and we have a home for both the elite athlete and those new to team sports.
- All of this work takes place in a community strengthened by our shared commitment to five core values: honesty, respect, kindness, gratitude, and courage.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Boston University Middlesex is probably the boarding school that is far ahead in terms of student body diversity, and I mean that in a very good way. Between geographical and socioeconomic diversity, you really learn a ton. . .
- Northeastern The community that is centered around the circle is welcoming, and the nice fall and spring days leave the students socializing on the circle during free blocks throughout the day and in their free time. . .
- UMass Lowell The entire experience was not only unique, it was life changing! It opened my eyes and mind up to world I wasn't familiar with. I was able to meet, connect and bond with students from. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Middlesex School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 310 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most extracurriculars offered
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Middlesex School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||350 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||410 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1400||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||32||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||61||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$301.5 million|
(Includes Endowment & Long term investments)
(No additional fees)
(No additional fees)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Douglas C. Price|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||61||18|
|Courses||Advanced Approaches to Acting, Advanced Astronomy, Advanced Data Structures, Advanced French--The Francophone World, Advanced Greek Literature, Advanced Photography, Advanced Studies in Latin Literature, Advanced Studies in Latin Poetry, Advanced Studio Projects, Advanced Topics in Computer Science, Afro-American History, AP Art History , AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Studies, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Government and Politics, AP Latin ( Vergil), AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History, Art and Life in Nineteenth-Century France, British Romantic Literature, Engineering, Era of the American Civil War, Fantasy Literature in English, Fiction Writing, Forms of Poetry, Global. Studies, History of Dissent, Jane Austen, Modern American Poetry, Multivariable Calculus, Narratives of Nationhood, Nature Writing: Thoreau and Emerson, Postcolonial Literature, Seminar in Advanced Computer Science, Seminar in Advanced Mathematics, Studies in Medieval Literature, The American Romantic Tradition, The Harlem Renaissance, The Hero in 20th Century Literature, The Novel after Modernism, The Personal Essay, Utopias and Dystopias, Vector Calculus, War and Reconciliation|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||69||24|
|Extracurriculars||Community Service Club, Math Team, Middlesex Yearbook, Outing Club, Peer Support, Spectrum (Multi-cultural Organization), Student Activities Committee, Student Government, The Asian Society|
Club or Organization:
3 v 3 hoops, African Culture Appreciation Club, Applied Sciences, Backgamon Club, Best Buddies, Biology Club, Book Lovers Club, Campuses against Cancer, Chinese Club, Classical Music Club, Computer Science Club, Cooking Club, Creative Writing Club, Dog Walking Club, Fantasy Sports Club, Focus, Game Development Club, Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA), Global Events, Harry Potter Club, Hip Hop Dance Group, Iris, Jazz Lunch, Jewish Club, Knitting Club, Middlesex on the Issues, Mindfulness Club, MIT Launch Club, Model Congress, Modern Physics Club, Movie Appreciation Club, Music and Moves, MX Cares, MX Live, Mx Mentoring Club, National History Club, Omega Business Club, Outdoors Club, Photo Club, Poetry Club, Premier League Club, Programming Club, Public Speaking Club, Random Acts of Kindness Club, Robotics Club, Society of Latinos, Songwriters Club, Spanish Club, Spike Ball Club, Spirit Club, TED Talks, The Anvil, Video Production Club, Young Democrats, Young Republicans, Zebrettes
Arts and Music Programs:
Contemporary Chamber Ensemble, Middlesex Art Association, Mxlodians, Tech Theater
|Year: 2016 - 2020||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Chicago||17|
|New York University||15|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Middlesex School Mission and History
- Frederick Winsor wanted the school he founded in 1901 to be distinct from the church-affiliated boarding schools of the time, and from its beginnings, Middlesex School has occupied a unique place in the independent school landscape. It is a non-sectarian School with a positive sense of tradition and mission. It is a school with small-school intimacy and big-school opportunity, a school that early on sought students from every part of the country through a National Scholarship Program. As it has grown, Middlesex has broadened its national and international reach while always benefiting from its local surroundings-the human and cultural capital of the Boston/Cambridge area. Middlesex School, both in the present and in the past, has preferred capacity in many areas to specialization in one. We believe a transparent and familiar community is an ethical community. We believe in our students. From the start, Winsor`s mission was to "find the promise that lies hidden" in every student, and that message of individuality, hope, and possibility guides us today. Our campus, designed by the Olmsted Brothers firm, remains centered on its iconic circle. We are fortunate to live in a beautiful setting that naturally brings our paths and our lives together. Radiating from a common sense of place and purpose, Middlesex continues to prepare its students for a changing world. We have evolved in many ways since our founding over a century ago. We have undergone renovation, conservation, expansion, and constant transition in person and place. Yet our buildings, our fields, our programs, and our ethos still cleave to a human scale fostering collegiality and contact. Despite the school`s continuous transformation, our mission, with our students at the center, remains the same.
- Middlesex School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Steve Carell - Actor
- Kevin Systrom - Co-founder of Instagram
- Bill Richardson - Governor of New Mexico
- William Hurt - Academy Award Winning Actor
- Anthony Lake - Executive Director, Unicef
- Li Chung Pei - Architect
- Cass Sunstein - Head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs
- Sarah Leary - Co-Founder of Nextdoor
- Martin Hoffman - US Secretary of the Army
- Joseph Kahn - Managing Editor, The New York Times
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Middlesex School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.