Students can choose from 30 interscholastic teams and seven intramural athletic offerings, including ultimate frisbee, strength training and yoga.
Milton’s orchestra includes over 115 musicians. The Chamber Orchestra and Chamber Singers travel during spring break to perform in places like Prague, England, Ireland, Italy and China.
The typical class size at Milton is 14 students. Classes meet around the Harkness table, where students and faculty share dialogue, inquiry and reflection.
- Milton Academy cultivates in its students a passion for learning and a respect for others.
- Embracing diversity and the pursuit of excellence, we create a community in which individuals develop competence, confidence and character.
- Our active learning environment, in and out of the classroom, develops creative and critical thinkers, unafraid to express their ideas, prepared to seek meaningful lifetime success and to live by our motto, "Dare to be true.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stanford University One of my favorite things about Milton is its proximity to the city. It's great to be able to easily go into Boston instead of being trapped on campus all the time. I also love. . .
- Columbia University Despite its rigorous education, Milton has a very supportive community. The institution offers a lot of resources for students who need help relating to either personal or academic needs. Students at Milton truly want to. . .
- University of Chicago Milton Academy is a pretty racially diverse school. We don't really have social hierarchies. Our location is very convenient, and our grass is always green and healthy.. . .
- Harvard College Milton is known for its very green and well-groomed quad that sits in the center of campus. We use the Harkness round-table style of discussion. Class discussions are fueled by students, and participation is a. . .
- University of Pennsylvania Milton is a place where everyone takes an active role in cultivating students, in academics, athletics, art, and as a citizen of the world. There is a deep sense of community and the teachers take. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 324 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity High percentage of students of color
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
- Offering Breadth Most extracurriculars offered
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Milton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||125 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||700 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1350||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$260 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||90%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Paul Rebuck|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||24||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||63||23|
|Extracurriculars||A/V (Audio/Visual) Club, Ache (celebrating diverse culture magazine), AIDS Board, Amnesty International Club, Animation Club, Arts Board, Asian Society, Athletic Association, Boarding Council, CARE (Campus Awareness for Recycling and the Environment), Caribbean Club, Cartoon Club, Celtic Club, Christian Fellowship Club, Common Ground, Community Service Club, Culinary Club, Day Council, Film Club, French Club, GAIA (environmental journal), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Gender Equity Club, Habitat for Humanity, Helix (science magazine),|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Eight miles south of Boston, Milton is enriched by its diverse and talented student and faculty community as well as by the quality, breadth and depth of its curricular and co-curricular offerings.
- Life at Milton centers on the pursuit of excellence. Milton`s curriculum provides rigorous preparation for college and includes 180 courses in nine academic departments. We offer academic challenge in an atmosphere that is warm and supportive. Students and faculty members are motivated participants in the world of ideas, concepts, and values. They work through collaboration to achieve intellectually.
- At Milton, you do not have to choose whether you want to be an intellectual, a musician, an athlete, a performer or an artist. You can be all of these; one of the best things about Milton is that there is no limit to the way you define your identity.
- Milton Academy embraces diversity, and boasts students from 28 states and 27 countries. Growing and learning among individuals who share widely divergent life stories and appreciating their respective cultures is an invaluable aspect of a true education.
- Milton Academy students live in one of eight single-sex houses ranging in size from 31 students to 48 students. Milton houses include all four classes as well as faculty members` families. Living with older and younger "siblings" ensures role models, support, a sense of belonging and affection. Students spend all their Milton years in one house, experiencing a family-at-school context for developing close relationships with valued adults, learning about responsibility to the community, taking leadership roles with peers, and sharing social and cultural traditions.
- Milton students graduate with the confidence in themselves and the competence to succeed at the most selective colleges and universities in the country.
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- T.S. Eliot - Poet, dramatist and literary critic
- Buckminster Fuller - American architect, author, designer, futurist, inventor and visionary
- Robert F. Kennedy - Former United States Attorney General, former US Senator from New York and one of former U.S. President John F. Kennedy's younger brothers
- Ted Kennedy - Former Massachusetts State Senator and one of former U.S. President John F. Kennedy's younger brothers
- Deval Patrick - Current Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the first African American to hold that office
- James Taylor - American singer and songwriter
- Touré - American novelist, music journalist, cultural critic and television personality
- Charles Codman Cabot - Former Justice of the Superior Court of Massachusetts and former Chief of the Secretariat of the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey during World War II
- David Lindsay-Abaire - Pulitzer Prize winning American playwright
- Hanford MacNider - Former United States diplomat and United States Army General, serving in both World War I and World War II
- Submit Review for Milton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
December 05, 2017
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
December 02, 2017
Here are some considerations to ponder whilst choosing schools and when your child is actually away at school.
December 02, 2017
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.