Milton Academy Photo #2 - The typical class size at Milton is 14 students. Classes meet around the Harkness table or lab bench, where students and faculty share dialogue, inquiry, and reflection.
Milton Academy Photo #3 - Skilled coaches and teammates help students learn the great lessons of athletics: the value of hard work, preparation, risk-taking, collaboration, and winning and losing with dignity. Students can choose from 30 interscholastic teams and seven intramural athletic offerings, including ultimate frisbee, strength training and yoga.
Milton Academy Photo #4 - Music is all around at Milton, with performances by one of the many a capella groups; the talented jazz band; and the Gospel Choir. Milton's orchestra includes over 115 musicians. The Chamber Orchestra and Chamber Singers travel during spring break to perform in places like Prague, England, Ireland, Italy and China.
Milton Academy Photo #5 - Lots of green space on campus means having class outside on a sunny day. After school, students relax on the Quad or play casual games of soccer or spike ball.
Milton Academy cultivates in its students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Embracing diversity and the pursuit of excellence, we create a community in which individuals develop competence, confidence and character. Our active learning environment, in and out of the classroom, develops creative and critical thinkers, unafraid to express their ideas, prepared to seek meaningful lifetime success and to live by our motto, "Dare to be true."
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Claremont McKenna College Milton is unique primarily due to the major emphasis on discussion in many classes through the harkness table method. This is prevalent in English and history classes. The organization of the student center allows for. . .
- Columbia University Despite its rigorous education, Milton has a very supportive community. The institution offers a lot of resources for students who need help relating to either personal or academic needs. Students at Milton truly want to. . .
- University of Chicago Milton Academy is a pretty racially diverse school. We don't really have social hierarchies. Our location is very convenient, and our grass is always green and healthy.. . .
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Milton Academy ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 305 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Milton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||5-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||Pre-K-12|
|Campus Size||130 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||710 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1414||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||31||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$325 million||$24 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||90%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Paul Rebuck|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||45||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Amnesty International, Arts Board, ASA (African Student Association), Asian Society, Athletic Association, Boarding Council, Caribbean Students Association, Chess Club, Chinese Club, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Engagement Board, Day Council, Film Club, French Club, GASP!, Habitat for Humanity, Hip-Hop Club, Improv Club, International Student Club, Invest in Girls, Jewish Student Union, Latinx Association, Lorax, Math Club, Model UN, Multicultural Club, ONYX, Orange and Blue Key Tour Guide Program, Peer Tutoring, Programming Club, Public Issues Board, Reach to Teach, Robotics Team, SAGE (Students Advocating for Gender Equity), SAMENA (South Asian, Middle Eastern, and North African), Science and Engineering Club, Self-Governing Association, SIMA (Students Interested in Middle Eastern Affairs), Spanish Club, Speech and Debate Team, Step Team, Student Activities Association, Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), Sustainability Board, World Health Organization (WHO)
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Eight miles south of Boston, Milton is enriched by its diverse and talented student and faculty community as well as by the quality, breadth, and depth of its curricular and co-curricular offerings.
- Life at Milton centers on the pursuit of excellence. Milton's curriculum provides rigorous preparation for college and includes 185 courses in 11 academic departments. We offer academic challenge in an atmosphere that is warm and supportive. Students and faculty members are motivated participants in the world of ideas, concepts, and values. They work through collaboration to achieve intellectually.
- At Milton, you do not have to choose whether you want to be an intellectual, a musician, an athlete, a performer or an artist. You can be all of these; one of the best things about Milton is that there is no limit to the way you define your identity.
- Milton Academy embraces diversity, and boasts students from 29 states and territories and 30 countries. Growing and learning among individuals who share widely divergent life stories and appreciating their respective cultures is an invaluable aspect of a true education.
- Milton Academy students live in one of eight houses ranging in size from 31 students to 48 students. Milton houses include all four classes as well as faculty members' families. Living with older and younger "siblings" ensures role models, support, a sense of belonging and affection. Students spend all their Milton years in one house, experiencing a family-at-school context for developing close relationships with valued adults, learning about responsibility to the community, taking leadership roles with peers, and sharing social and cultural traditions.
- Milton students graduate with the confidence in themselves and the competence to succeed at the most selective colleges and universities in the country.
- Milton Academy accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Profile last updated: 06/22/2021
- Submit Review for Milton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Are you thinking about sending your daughter off to boarding school? Go for it!
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.