St. Paul's School
- St. Paul's School is committed to educating the whole person and preparing students to make contributions to a changing and challenging world.
- The philosophy of St. Paul's School defines education as all of the structured experiences in which students participate: course work, athletics, activities, and our life together as a fully residential school.
- These opportunities involve valuable interaction between faculty, students, and staff.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Lehigh University One of the biggest qualities that stood out during my time at St. Paul's was the campus and the community. You will not come across a more beautiful campus in New England. Covering a span. . .
- Davidson College St. Paul's was unique in that it was 100% boarding. Attending a school where absolutely all of the students (and the majority of the staff) reside on the same campus for the entire academic. . .
- Swarthmore College One of the most memorable and unique aspects of SPS is the boarding atmosphere. Everyone lives on campus in school housing, even students who hail from the local town. Teachers live on campus. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
St. Paul's School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 319 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Boarding Focus High percentage of boarding students
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|St. Paul's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||2000 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||534 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1389||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||50||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$633.3 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$56,550|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||81%||-|
|Dean of Admission||Scott P. Bohan|
|Associate Director of Admission||Tim Caryl-Klika|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||50||17|
|Courses||Advanced Biology: Human Anatomy & Physiology, Advanced Biology: Limnology & Marine Biology, Advanced Biology: Molecular Biology, Advanced Biology: Terrestrial Ecology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Chinese, Advanced French, Advanced German, Advanced Japanese, Advanced Latin, Advanced Mathematics Seminar, Advanced Photography, Advanced Physics I, Advanced Physics I-2H, Advanced Portfolio: Drawing and Painting, Advanced Portfolio: Sculpture, Advanced Spanish, Calculus 1-2H, Linear Algebra, Mathematics Seminar Honors, Vector Calculus|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||54||24|
|Extracurriculars||Missionary Society, Society of Skeptics, Spectrum (Multi-cultural Organization), The Asian Society, WSPS-FM|
Club or Organization:
A/V (Audio/Visual) Club, AIDS Board, Anima (Japanese Animation Club), Arts Clubs, Athletic Association, Boarding Council, Cartoon Club, Celtic Club, Common Ground, Community Service Board, CORE (Council on Religious Exploration), Currents (current events journal), Day Council, Diversity Committee, Film Club, Film Production, Ikon, Instrumental Ensembles, John Enders Science Club, John Winant Society, Korean Society, Le Cercle Francais, Lectors Guild, Mathematics Society, Middlesex Yearbook, Model Congress, MOSAIC-Modelling Ongoing Student Action (for an) Inclusive Community, Mxlodians, Outing Club, Peer Support, Student Admissions Committee, Student Council, Student Cultural Alliance, Student Government, Taekwondo Society, The Circle (literary newspaper), The Pelican (student newspaper), Theatre, Video Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Arts Board, Contemporary Chamber Ensemble, Madhatters (all girls a cappella singing group), Madrigal Singers, SPS Ballet Company, Student Activities Committee, T-Tones (all boys a cappella singing group), The Anvil, The Tea Clu
|Year: 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Pennsylvania||20|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- St. Paul's School is committed to educating the whole person and preparing students to make contributions to a changing and challenging world. The philosophy of St. Paul's School defines education as all of the structured experiences in which students participate: course work, athletics, activities, and our life together as a fully residential school. These opportunities involve valuable interaction between faculty, students, and staff. In addition to its academic curriculum, St. Paul's School requires participation in four other areas of community life to complement the academic endeavors of our students: the Living In Community Program, the Community Outreach Program, Athletics, and the Chapel Program. The School's commitment to education and caring for the whole person, as reflected in this all-encompassing view of education, supports and nurtures the intellectual, spiritual, physical, and emotional development of our students.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- John Kerry - U.S. Senator, Massachusetts
- Garry Trudeau - Cartoonist, Doonesbury
- Robert Mueller - Director, FBI
- Lorene Cary - Author/Speaker
- Jeff Halpern - NHL All-Star
- Hobey Baker - Renowned hockey star and World War I war hero
- Edward Harkness - Philanthropist
- William Randolph Hearst - Newspaper publisher
- Nick Stoller - Filmmaker and Producer
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Paul's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.