Beyond the academic requirement in art, all Tilton students have opportunities to gain significant experience in creative and cultural arts.
Tilton School students, faculty and dormitory proctors work together to create a residential community designed to be supportive, productive and safe. Our residential environments foster an educational tone, stressing the importance of personal integrity, responsibility and commitment to the community.
All Tilton School students take advantage of small class sizes and additional support provided by faculty members. The Center for Academic Achievement offers tutorial instruction and support that goes beyond the extra help available in the regular academic program.
Tilton School challenges students to embrace and navigate a world marked by diversity and change. Through the quality of human relationships, the Tilton School community cultivates in its students the curiosity, the skills, the knowledge and understanding, the character and the integrity requisite for the passionate pursuit of lifelong personal success and service.
Boarding students are provided with a single or double occupancy room. Students are grouped by gender and grade level. A designated Tilton School faculty member is on duty in every dormitory each night and again throughout the weekend.
A student might work for one of the school's student publications (newspaper, yearbook or literary magazine), or a student may participate in any number of special creative and cultural events and activities throughout the school year. Students may also participate in after-school art activities during the fall and winter seasons.
Tilton School is committed to the belief that good schools have the responsibility to set high standards and then do everything in their power to help students reach those expectations. Thus challenge and support are two key elements of the academic program.
At Tilton School, our philosophy is simple. Young people have within them the potential to learn, to lead, and to change the world. Our faculty cares about each student and helps him or her to navigate the demands of a rigorous college preparatory curriculum.
- Founded in 1845, Tilton School is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory school serving students from 9th to 12th grade and postgraduates.
- We have 250 students consisting of day and boarding from 20 states and 17 countries.
- With a small student body and dedicated staff, we are focused on helping every student realize the power of his or her own potential.
- We believe that students who are able to effectively communicate, collaborate, think critically and creatively, and engage with mindfulness and compassion are better prepared to thrive in an ever-changing world. To do this, Tilton School provides students with a uniquely customized learning process that uses authentic assessments of skills, interests, and learning style preferences to help them create their own Personalized Guided Program of Study for their journey at Tilton.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- The College of Wooster Despite being able to boast an exquisite New England campus environment, Tilton school offers a setting equipped with a dedicated faculty and staff that services the needs of every kind of student. Unique to Tilton. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Tilton School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||146 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||250 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1600||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||21||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$16 million||$17 million|
|Tuition international students||$60,500||$47,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||22000||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Candace Landroche|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|Courses||AP Art, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP European History (supervised on-line), AP French Language, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art (Independent Study), AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||23|
|Extracurriculars||Adopt-a-Highway, American Red Cross, Literary Magazine, Newspaper, Oxfam America, Recycling, Spaulding Youth Center, The Bread and Roses Soup Kitchen, The Tilton-Northfield Youth Assistance Program, Toys for Tots, Yearbook|
Club or Organization:
Admission Ambassador, Debate Club, Dorm Prefects, National Honor Society, Peer Counseling, Robotics Club, Strength and Conditioning Pogram, The New Hampshire Veteran's Home
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Stage Band, Tilton Arts Coalition
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Mountain Biking, Outdoor Program
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Tilton combines academic rigor with social, creative and athletic opportunity to enable every student to tap into the power of his or her potential, preparing them for life beyond the Hill.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences & ADD/ADHD
- School accreditations: TABS, AISNE, NAIS, ISANNE, NEASC
- Submit Review for Tilton School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.