Kimball Union Academy
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 340 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $70,500
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $44,800
- Acceptance rate: 38%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
(Inclusive of Books)
(Inclusive of Books)
AP / Advanced Courses
Fire Brigade, Math Team, Relay Diversity Club, Residential Proctor, School Tour Guides, STEM, Student Government, The Penny Fellowship - Community Service, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Activity, Digital Film Editing, Pottery Activity, Rock Ensemble, Theater Activity, Winter Musical Production, Woodworking
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian, Instructional Golf, Instructional Tennis, Recreational Skiing, Strength & Conditioning Activity, Strength Training
- KUA Design is our approach to learning at Kimball Union. Students' unique experiences, interests, and abilities influence how they learn and engage inside and outside the classroom and tell us how best to support and inspire them. That`s why, from the day students arrive at KUA, it`s our mission to learn about them. Using relationships as our foundation, we leverage everything we know about the science of learning and how the brain works to design intentional experiences to challenge and support their growth. As a result, students find their voice, develop new knowledge, and strengthen their character through a robust academic curriculum. This philosophy is infused throughout our environment. Learning transcends classroom walls; it occurs on a soccer field, on the stage, in an advisory group, over a shared meal, and throughout our residential programming. You`ll find that everyone here is highly invested in our students' intellectual and individual growth. Our teachers will engage students in all their pursuits, help them build confidence, and make education feel rewarding and satisfying.
- Kimball Union Academy offers a variety of residences for boarding school students to choose from, and students have a voice in where they`d like to live. We develop relationships within and across classes and give every student the chance to thrive in the nurturing environment of multi-aged supporters. Each dorm is guided by a dedicated faculty member or House Head who creates a healthy environment where students can find friendships, connections, and space in different ways. Each House Head has their own approach to creating a "home away from home" that speaks to the individuality of the residents. For some, weekend baking and crafts are a favorite activity while other dorms enjoy grill nights and Sunday afternoon football games. Dorm families eat together, study together, tackle problems together, and find space away from each other when necessary, just like a family. Typically, dorm meetings are held on Tuesday nights as time for discussion and general housekeeping, but also for community time and celebration. Student proctors help create a sense of culture and maintain respect within the dorms.
- Day students are fully engaged members of the KUA community and are often described as "boarders who sleep at home." There`s no way to distinguish between our boarding and day students until the day is done. Our day student community about 75 students is fully invested in the KUA experience, participating in all academic, athletic, and extracurricular, and weekend activities. They hold leadership positions and help shape the life of the Academy and the community, and join their friends for meals in Doe Dining Commons.
- Kimball Union Academy opens opportunities for students to share their vision and tap into their creativity. Students will find a grounding in aesthetics, history, and criticism, and a chance to discover their unique voice. Regardless of their previous level of engagement, students will find a robust arts experience and immersive programming led by KUA`s exceptional faculty who are also practicing artists. Our artists find a home in the expansive Flickinger Arts Center. Students also benefit from our proximity to the rich cultural resources of Dartmouth College's Hood Museum of Art and Hopkins Center for Performing Arts, as well as Northern Stage. Our visiting artists' program exposes students to working professionals. While we require that every student fulfill visual and performing art requirements, most students explore the arts through afternoon activities and participation in ensemble groups. Our schedule is designed so students will never have to choose between the arts or another activity, like athletics.
- Kimball Union offers a competitive and engaging athletic and recreational program for student-athletes looking to progress in their sport. As a member of the New England Preparatory School Athletic Conference (NEPSAC) and the Lakes Region League, the Wildcats compete in 14 varsity sports, such as hockey, basketball, field hockey, and soccer, with more than 70% of students earning at least one varsity letter each year. Each year KUA graduates student-athletes who pursue their sport at the college and professional levels. They'll work closely with talented and experienced coaches, utilizing exceptional facilities, and leave KUA with self-confidence, commitment, time management, and leadership skills.
- Kimball Union Academy accreditations: NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ernest Everett Just - African American biologist
- Dana Stone - Vietnam War photographer
- Chester Bradley Jordan - Governor of New Hampshire
- Kathryn Woodman Leighton - artist
- Augustus Washington - African American photographer
- Andrew Wheating - Olympian
- F. Lee Bailey - defense attorney
- Kasim Edebali - NFL football player
- Steven Sotloff - journalist
- Richard Aitson - Native American poet
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Kimball Union Academy cost?
Kimball Union Academy's tuition is approximately $70,500 for boarding students and $44,800 for day students.
What schools are Kimball Union Academy often compared to?
Kimball Union Academyis often viewed alongside schools like Cushing Academy by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of Kimball Union Academy?
The acceptance rate of Kimball Union Academy is 38%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from Kimball Union Academy?
Kimball Union Academy famous alumni include: Ernest Everett Just, Dana Stone, Chester Bradley Jordan, Kathryn Woodman Leighton, Augustus Washington, Andrew Wheating, F. Lee Bailey, Kasim Edebali, Steven Sotloff and Richard Aitson.
What sports does Kimball Union Academy offer?
Kimball Union Academy offers 20 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Riding, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Track and Field.
What is Kimball Union Academy's ranking?
Kimball Union Academy ranks among the top 20 boarding schools for Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for Kimball Union Academy?
The application deadline for Kimball Union Academy is Feb. 1.
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2022
Class of 2016
Class of 2014