Kimball Union Academy
Kimball Union Academy Photo #9 - One of the many opportunities for community service is the unique opportunity to train for the Fire Brigade and become be part of the Meriden Fire and Rescue Team.
- Kimball Union draws from 200 years of experience to provide a 21st century curriculum which meets students where they are academically and prepares them for achievement in college and life.
- Guided by consistent and engaged leadership, KUA inspires "mastery, creativity, responsibility, and leadership" in a friendly, warm, holistic environment on its 1300-acre campus in Meriden, NH.
- Our extraordinary faculty delivers academic excellence from supported learning to advanced concentrations in specific academic areas.
- Kimball Union is often defined by our positive and inclusive community, which is advanced by our comprehensive Student Life program. This highlights a (purposeful) focus on leadership, character building, and ethics in the classrooms, dorms, studios, and playing fields.
- Signature Programs, including varsity athletics, visual and performing arts, STEM, Global Scholar and Art Scholar programs, Capstone projects, Fire Brigade, and sustainable farming, provide students with opportunities to take their learning beyond the classroom.
- Some of the most experienced college division 1 level coaches in New England provide excellent training from skills development to the highest levels of competition while reinforcing our ideals of "the scholar athlete" and have lead our alumni to compete professionally in the NFL, NHL, and Olympic Games.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Emory University What is really unique about KUA is that the school keeps the student size relatively small; thus, you can always feel like you're at home. Everyone knows each other and every faculty knows every student's. . .
- Kenyon College Kimball Union Academy has a unique blend of varying interests. While many schools have social divides between different groups such as arts students and athletes KUA does not. There is a great blend between artists. . .
- Northeastern University The campus, at least in 2001, was set up so you could be in either a dormitory-style building, or a more intimate farm-house settings with as few as 4 other students. The "dorms" had at. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Kimball Union||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||1300 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||340 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1250||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$23 million||$19 million|
(Inclusive of Books)
(Inclusive of Books)
|Tuition international students||$61,700||$48,850|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,635||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||45%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Lindsey Ratliff|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Kevin Ramos-Glew|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||17|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Language and Composition, AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition, AP Mandarin Chinese , AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History, AP World History, Multivariable Calculus|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||49||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Architecture Club, Day Student Proctor, Daycare volunteer, Economics Club, Environment Club, Equestrian Club, Fire Brigade, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), International Student Club, Library Monitors, Literary Magazine, Math Team, Model UN, Orange Key Tour Guides, Outing Club, Peer Mentoring, Peer Tutoring, Peer Writing Center, Penny Fellowship, Photography Activity, Poetry Club, Political Activism, Relay Diversity Club, Residential Proctor, Robotics, Rock Climbing, STEM, Student Government, Student Newspaper, Student Organization for Alumni Relations, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Activity, Classical Music Ensemble, Concordians A Capella, Dance Club, Elva's Bells- Female A Capella, Fall Play, Hilltoppers- Male A Capella, Jazz Club, Pottery Activity, Rock Ensemble, Theater Activity, Winter Musical, Wood Working
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Crew, Instructional Golf, Instructional Skiing, Strength & Conditioning Activity, Swimming
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of New Hampshire||10|
|St. Lawrence University||9|
|University of Vermont||9|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Integrated college advising system prepares students throughout their KUA career to achieve their highest potential and attend highly competitive schools.
- Through our multi-layered learning center program, our faculty provides a range of expertise and support to students at all levels of performance.Facilities include a modern campus center, a beautiful arts center, SMART classrooms with state-of-the art technology, an environmental science center and greenhouse, athletic center and hockey arena, indoor and outdoor turf fields, fitness center, tennis courts, library, and technology labs.
- Kimball Union`s highly qualified and dedicated faculty is committed to serving our students and families. Our faculty members get to know each individual student in the classroom, as dorm parents, coaches, and mentors. These close relationships and the individual growth our students experience during their time here are hallmarks of a Kimball Union education.
- Nestled in the intellectually vibrant Upper Valley in close proximity to Dartmouth College, Kimball Union benefits from world-class arts, entertainment, athletic, and cultural events that are staples of the community.
- LD types supported: Teaching and Learning Center
- Kimball Union Academy accreditations: NEASC
- Submit Review for Kimball Union Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.