Kimball Union Academy
Kimball Union Academy Photo #6 - One of the many opportunities for community service is the unique opportunity to train for the Fire Brigade and become be part of the Meriden Fire and Rescue Team.
Kimball Union draws from 200 years of experience to provide a 21st century curriculum which meets students where they are academically and prepares them for achievement in college and life.
Guided by consistent and engaged leadership, KUA inspires "mastery, creativity, responsibility, and leadership" in a friendly, warm, holistic environment on its 1300-acre campus in Meriden, NH.
Our extraordinary faculty delivers academic excellence from supported learning to advanced concentrations in specific academic areas.
Kimball Union is often defined by our positive and inclusive community, which is advanced by our comprehensive Student Life program. This highlights a (purposeful) focus on leadership, character building, and ethics in the classrooms, dorms, studios, and playing fields.
Signature Programs, including varsity athletics, visual and performing arts, STEM, Global Scholar and Art Scholar programs, Capstone projects, Fire Brigade, and sustainable farming, provide students with opportunities to take their learning beyond the classroom.
Some of the most experienced college division 1 level coaches in New England provide excellent training from skills development to the highest levels of competition while reinforcing our ideals of "the scholar athlete" and have lead our alumni to compete professionally in the NFL, NHL, and Olympic Games.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Endicott College I feel like the sense of community is like no other at KUA. I graduated nearly 4 years ago, yet I am still in daily contact with at least 15-20 students from my school. It. . .
- Emory University What is really unique about KUA is that the school keeps the student size relatively small; thus, you can always feel like you're at home. Everyone knows each other and every faculty knows every student's. . .
- Kenyon College Kimball Union Academy has a unique blend of varying interests. While many schools have social divides between different groups such as arts students and athletes KUA does not. There is a great blend between artists. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Kimball Union||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||1300 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||340 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1250||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$51.9 million||$25 million|
(Inclusive of Books)
(Inclusive of Books)
|Tuition international students||$70,200||$54,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,635||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||45%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Lindsey Ratliff|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||18|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Language and Composition, AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition, AP Mandarin Chinese , AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History, AP World History, Multivariable Calculus|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Fire Brigade, Math Team, Model UN, Relay Diversity Club, Residential Proctor, School Tour Guides, STEM, Student Government, The Claw - Student Newspaper, The Penny Fellowship - Community Service, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Activity, Digital Film Editing, Pottery Activity, Rock Ensemble, Theater Activity, Winter Musical Production, Woodworking
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian, Instructional Golf, Instructional Tennis, Recreational Skiing, Strength & Conditioning Activity, Strength Training
|Year: 2014 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Vermont||20|
|St Lawrence University||15|
|University of New Hampshire||15|
|Hobart William Smith Colleges||8|
|New York University||8|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Integrated college advising system prepares students throughout their KUA career to achieve their highest potential and attend highly competitive schools.
- Through our multi-layered learning center program, our faculty provides a range of expertise and support to students at all levels of performance.Facilities include a modern campus center, a beautiful arts center, SMART classrooms with state-of-the art technology, an environmental science center and greenhouse, athletic center and hockey arena, indoor and outdoor turf fields, fitness center, tennis courts, library, and technology labs.
- Kimball Union`s highly qualified and dedicated faculty is committed to serving our students and families. Our faculty members get to know each individual student in the classroom, as dorm parents, coaches, and mentors. These close relationships and the individual growth our students experience during their time here are hallmarks of a Kimball Union education.
- Nestled in the intellectually vibrant Upper Valley in close proximity to Dartmouth College, Kimball Union benefits from world-class arts, entertainment, athletic, and cultural events that are staples of the community.
- LD types supported: The Gosselin Learning Center
- Kimball Union Academy accreditations: NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ernest Everett Just - African American biologist
- Dana Stone - Vietnam War photographer
- Chester Bradley Jordan - Governor of New Hampshire
- Kathryn Woodman Leighton - artist
- Augustus Washington - African American photographer
- Andrew Wheating - Olympian
- F. Lee Bailey - defense attorney
- Kasim Edebali - NFL football player
- Steven Sotloff - journalist
- Richard Aitson - Native American poet
Profile last updated: 04/16/2021
- Submit Review for Kimball Union Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.