5.00 (2 reviews)
39 School Street, P.O. Box 8000
Ashburnham, MA 01430
Ashburnham, MA 01430
- Founded in 1865, Cushing is an independent, college preparatory school for girls and boys in grades 9 through 12 and post-graduate.
- Our beautiful 162-acre campus is located in Ashburnham, Mass., just one hour northwest of Boston.
- Mission Statement: Cushing Academy exists for students and develops curious, creative, and confident learners and leaders.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pitzer College It's a place where they not only encourage students to go out and make a difference, but they help make that possible by supporting student endeavors. A lot of what happens at the school is. . .
- Northeastern University For me Cushing's highlight was definitely that it had its own rink. For someone that lives the ice, like me, this was amazing. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Cushing Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||162 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||400 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Dress code details at http://www.cushing.org/dress-code)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$8,575|
(Summer Session day student tuition: $34753-week Summer Session boarding tuition: $51003-week Summer Session day student tuition: $2200 (limited number of 3-week spaces)See website for fees and optional services)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$42 million||$20 million|
(See website for fees and optional services)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Catherine Pollock|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||38||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Ambassador Program, Black Student Union, Book Lovers on Thursday (BLT), CA Super Fans, Catholic Studies, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Service Club, Current Events Club, E-sports Club, Ethics Committee, Fellowship of Christian Students, Film Club, Gold Key Society, Habitat for Humanity, Kindness Club, Organic Garden, P. A. Medical Society, PRIDE, Sports Information Dissemination Club, Student Leader Program, Walkabout, Water Polo Club, Writing Center Tutors, Wyldlife
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Bagpipers, Chamber, Classic Cinema Club, Cushing Chorus, Dance Club, Environmental Action Coalition, Retan Rifles, Winter Musical
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Aerobics, Classics Club, Debate Team, Dillard Guard, Economics Team
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Mission Statement: Cushing Academy develops curious, creative, and confident learners and leaders.
- Founded as a coeducational institution in 1865, Cushing Academy offers a transformative learning experience for students in grades 9-12 and PG. With an average student/teacher ratio of 8:1, Cushing`s 400 students are afforded individual attention and guidance within the school`s rigorous academic curriculum. The Academy also offers Academic Support and English as a Second Language options that are tailored to students` needs and a dynamic five-week summer program. Cushing boasts a long tradition of excellence in athletics and is home to an expansive visual and performing arts program. Home to students from 28 states and 30 countries, Cushing`s 162-acre campus features several brand new, state-of-the-art facilities including a new field house, dining commons, dormitories, turf field, and a renovated ice arena. Cushing Academy is located one-hour northwest of Boston. Prospective students and families are invited to attend an Open House. Details at http://www.cushing.org/openhouse
- LD types supported: Language Based Learning Differences and Mild Learning Differences
- Cushing Academy accreditations: NEASC
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Cushing Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.