- Founded in 1865, Cushing is an independent, college preparatory school for girls and boys in grades 9 through 12 and post-graduate.
- Cushing Academy exists for students and develops curious, creative, and confident learners and leaders.
- Our beautiful 162-acre campus is located in Ashburnham, Massachusetts, just one hour northwest of Boston.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pitzer College It's a place where they not only encourage students to go out and make a difference, but they help make that possible by supporting student endeavors. A lot of what happens at the school is. . .
- Northeastern University For me Cushing's highlight was definitely that it had its own rink. For someone that lives the ice, like me, this was amazing. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Cushing Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||162 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||390 students||310 students|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Dress code details at http://www.cushing.org/dress-code)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$8,800|
(Summer Session day student tuition is $3500 and boarding tuition is $8800. See website for more information.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$42 million||$22 million|
(See website for fees and optional services.)
(See website for fees and optional services.)
|Tuition international students||$70,000||$52,900|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Catherine Pollock|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Ambassador Program, Black Student Union, CA Super Fans, Classics Club, Community Service Club, Debate Team, E-sports Club, Economics Team, Environmental Action Coalition, Ethics Committee, Film Club, Gold Key Society, Habitat for Humanity, Kindness Club, Organic Garden, PRIDE, Student Leader Program, Writing Center Tutors
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Chamber, Classic Cinema Club, Cushing Chorus, Dance Club, Winter Musical
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded as a coeducational institution in 1865, Cushing Academy offers a transformative learning experience for students in grades 9-12 and PG. With a student-to-teacher ratio of 7:1, Cushing's 390 students are afforded individual attention and guidance within the school's rigorous academic curriculum. The Academy also offers Academic Support and English as a Second Language tailored to students' needs. A dynamic five-week summer program is also available.
- Cushing boasts a long tradition of excellence in athletics and is home to expansive visual and performing arts programs, as well.
- With students hailing from 28 states and 30 countries, Cushing's 162-acre campus features several new, state-of-the-art facilities including a field house, expanded dining commons, two new dormitories, a resurfaced turf field, and a renovated ice arena.
- Cushing Academy is located one hour northwest of Boston. Prospective students and families are invited to attend an Open House or make an appointment to visit. Details at www.cushing.org/openhouse.
- LD types supported: Language Based Learning Differences and Mild Learning Differences
- Cushing Academy accreditations: NEASC, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Bette Davis '26 - American actress of film, television, and theater
- Nate Berkus '90 - American interior designer, author, and television personality
- John Lilley '91 - Retired American professional ice hockey player and member of 1994 men's U.S. Olympic ice hockey team
- His Majesty Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck '99 - King of Bhutan
- John Cena '95 - American professional wrestler, actor, rapper, and television presenter
- Tom Poti '96 - American former professional ice hockey player and member of the 2002 silver-medalist men's U.S. Olympic ice hockey team
- Chris Bourque '04 - American professional ice hockey forward
- Erika Lawlor '05 - Member of the silver-medalist 2010 women's U.S. Olympic ice hockey team
- Meghan Duggan '06 - American ice hockey forward and member of the 2010 and 2014 women's U.S. Olympic ice hockey teams (two silver medals) and captain of the 2018 U.S. women's gold-medal Olympic ice hockey team
- Broc Little '07 - American professional ice hockey forward in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) and member of the 2018 men's U.S. Olympic ice hockey team
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Cushing Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.