5.00 (2 reviews)
39 School Street, P.O. Box 8000
Ashburnham, MA 01430
Ashburnham, MA 01430
- "Founded in 1865, Cushing is an independent, college preparatory school for girls and boys in grades 9 through 12 and post-graduate.
- Our beautiful 162-acre campus is located in Ashburnham, Mass., just one hour west of Boston.
- Cushing is the school that students from all over the world go to get connected and develops curious, creative and confident learners and leaders.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pitzer College It's a place where they not only encourage students to go out and make a difference, but they help make that possible by supporting student endeavors. A lot of what happens at the school is. . .
- Northeastern University For me Cushing's highlight was definitely that it had its own rink. For someone that lives the ice, like me, this was amazing. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Cushing Academy is Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 117 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Offering Breadth Most extracurriculars offered
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Cushing Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||162 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||400 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$42 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||24000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Catherine Pollock|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Meredith Colicchie|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Figure Skating, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||45||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Black Student Union, Book Lovers on Thursday (BLT), CA Super Fans, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Service Club, Current Events Club, E-sports Club, Ethics Committee, Film Club, Kindness Club, Literature Live, Model UN, Multicultural Awareness Club, Muslim Students Association, Open Doors, Organic Garden, Peking Opera Club, Planet@CA (environmental club), PRIDE, Student/Faculty Senate, The Boiler Room (student newspaper), The International Club, The Literary Magazine, The Peer Support Group, The Yearbook, Tour Guides, Young Ambassadors
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Chamber, Cushing Chorus, Dance Club, Instrumental, Portfolio, Shakespeare, Singers' Salon, Spring Theater Workshop, Technical Theater, Winter Musical
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Aerobics, Extreme Baseball League, Figure Skating, Instructional Ice Hockey, Instructional Tennis, Outdoor Program, Snowboarding
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Cushing Academy, an independent, coeducational boarding school for students in grades 9-12 and post-graduate, centers its curriculum around the Cushing Institute for 21st Century Leadership. Designed to foster and develop leadership skills today`s students will need to thrive amid the challenges and opportunities of this new century, the Institute shapes all of Cushing`s demanding and provocative course offerings and directly engages students with distinguished speakers, internships, and global travel. Founded in 1865, the Academy is home to students from over 28 countries and 26 states, with rigorous and renowned programs in academics, arts and athletics. The 162-acre campus is located in a bucolic setting approximately one hour west of Boston, Massachusetts.
- LD types supported: Language Based Learning Differences and Mild Learning Differences
- Cushing Academy accreditations: NEASC
- Submit Review for Cushing Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?