The Winchendon School
The Winchendon School (TWS) is a coeducational, boarding and day school for grades 9-12 & PG. Located sixty-five miles (105 km) from Boston on over 300 acres in central Massachusetts, The Winchendon School sits in the shadow of Mount Monadnock.
We believe attention is the key to student success. Our 285 students work collaboratively in small group settings.
Our program is designed to allow every student and their learning style to be known and celebrated.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Boston College At the Winchendon School, small class sizes with no more than 8 or so students per class allow students valuable one on one time with teachers and more opportunities for participation during class. No students. . .
- Texas Small class size with support services and the golf course. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Winchendon||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||5-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||326 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||285 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$30 million||$24 million|
(7 and 5 day boarding available: 5-day $57,150)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||John Toffey|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Laura DiCarlo|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||18|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, Chinese Language and Culture, Comparative Government and Politics, Computer Science A, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Environmental Science, European History, French Language and Culture, Latin, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Physics, Psychology, Spanish Language and Culture, Statistics, US Government and Politics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Affinity Group, Community Service Club, Current Events & Debate, Green Key Student Ambassadors, Math Team, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Robotics, Service Learning Groups, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
A cappella group, Drawing, Theater Productions
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Aerobics, Fun Fitness, Strength and Conditioning
|Year: 2015 - 2020||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of the Holy Cross||3|
|New York University||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- At The Winchendon School, we are guided by real-world learning through innovation, relevance, and inquiry. Classes are exciting and energetic; teachers reject lecturing and instead design active learning environments where students lead discussions, debate questions, and draw their own conclusions. We won`t give students the answer; rather, we will guide them to find it on their own. Our Signature Programs; Impact Learning, reflects our commitment to providing an education rich in innovation, relevance, and inquiry-driven.
- Here, classrooms aren't confined to four walls. We encourage academic risks, self-reflection, and practical learning. Whether studying street art in New York City, working on an internship studying gravitational waves at LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory), or designing web animation, students are actively engaged in learning.
- Students connect studying to life beyond school, preparing them to be leaders and innovators. Backed by recent research, we know students learn better when they have strong connections with the people around them. The leaders of tomorrow must learn to connect with their communities locally and globally. The School`s Service Learning program engages all of our students in a mutually beneficial, sustainable, community-driven development program for students to find their own story and identity.
- Engaged learning begins with asking "Why?" The day is designed around the discovery of information and connecting to real-world issues. Students go beyond rote memorization of facts. Could you live on two dollars a day in Honduras? Why isn`t there enough food in the world, or is there? Learning to think big, take action, and have impact gives students a platform to tell a richer story about who they want to be and how they will impact the world.
- The Winchendon School accreditations: NEASC, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Perry Dye ‘71 - Founder and president of Dye Designs. He is a world renowned golf course designer and has contributed to the design of hundreds of courses world wide. Golf Digest has ranked many of Perry’s courses at the top of their lists.
- Greg Selkoe ‘92 - Founder and CEO of XSET Former CEO/Founder of Karmaloop, Previously led Curateurs.com and former President of FaZe.
- Bruno Sundov ‘99 - The 7’3 inch student athlete from Split, Croatia had already been drafted in the NBA’s by the Dallas Mavericks in 1998, the year of the NBA Lockout. Because of the work stoppage, Bruno decided to attend The Winchendon School to learn English.
- Francisco Garcia ‘02 - Started at Winchendon, then moved on to play for Legendary Coach Rick Pitino at the University of Louisville. He was drafted in the first round of the 2005 NBA Draft by the Sacramento Kings and played for ten seasons in Sacramento, CA and Houston, TX.
- Lauren Kelly ‘14 - Was an outstanding student athlete starring in multiple sports signed a scholarship to attend Northeastern University to play for the Women’s Hockey Team. She is a former recipient of the Jason Ritchie Scholarship while at Winchendon and captain of the te
- Max MacKenzie ‘16 - Is an American actor, voice over artist, producer, and activist. After taking up acting at The Winchendon School, he debuted in his first film at the age of 18, in ‘Just Say Goodbye’ and also starred in an episode of Investigation Discovery’s highest rate
- Bryan Perla '17 - Caused a bidding war on Shark Tank for the product he developed while a student at The Winchendon School during ColLAB program.
- Sophie Jamison '18 - Known to millions of followers on social media as Sophie Lightning.
Profile last updated: 02/26/2021
- Submit Review for The Winchendon School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Are you thinking about sending your daughter off to boarding school? Go for it!
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.