The Winchendon School
- The Winchendon School (TWS) is a coeducational, boarding and day school for grades 9-12 & PG. Located sixty-five miles (105 km) from Boston on over 300 acres in central Massachusetts, The Winchendon School sits in the shadow of Mount Monadnock.
- We believe attention is the key to student success. Our 250 students work collaboratively in small group settings.
- Our program is designed to allow every student and their learning style to be known and celebrated.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Boston College At the Winchendon School, small class sizes with no more than 8 or so students per class allow students valuable one on one time with teachers and more opportunities for participation during class. No students. . .
- Texas Small class size with support services and the golf course. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|The Winchendon||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||326 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||250 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1620||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||7 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$30 million||$18 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||20000||$22,844|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Scott Pottbecker|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Thomas Hamilton|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Community Service Club, Global Buddies, Judicial Board, Literary, Model United Nations, Newspaper, Organic Farming, Photography, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Chorus, Drawing, Jazz Club, Painting, Pottery, Sculpture, Winch Singers
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Aerobics, Cycling, Dance Club, Fun Fitness, Hiking Club, Horseback Riding, Outdoor, Triathlon Training
|Year: 2000 - 2004||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Rhode Island School of Design||3|
|UMASS - Amherst||3|
- At The Winchendon School, we are guided by real-world learning through innovation, relevance, and inquiry. Classes are exciting and energetic; teachers reject lecturing, and instead design active learning environments where students lead discussions, debate questions, and draw their own conclusions. We won`t give students the answer; rather, we will guide them to find it on their own. Our Signature Programs; Global Dynamics, Service Learning, and ColLABs reflect our commitment to providing an education rich in innovation, relevance, and inquiry driven.
- Our classrooms aren't confined to four walls. Students have two opportunities a year (for a total of five weeks) to pursue a graded, single focus immersive. These ColLABs (Collaborative Laboratories) encourage academic risks, self-reflection, and practical learning. Whether studying street art in New York City, working on an internship studying gravitational waves at LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory), or designing web animation, students are actively engaged in learning.
- Students connect studying to life beyond school, preparing them to be leaders and innovators. Backed by recent research, we know students learn better when they have strong connections with the people around them. The leaders of tomorrow must learn to connect with their communities locally and globally. The School`s Service Learning program engages all of our students in a mutually beneficial, sustainable, community-driven development program for students to find their own story and identity.
- Engaged learning begins with asking "Why?" The day is designed around the discovery of information and connecting to real-world issues. Global Dynamics, our two-credit course blends English, history, and regional cultural understanding. In Global Dynamics (we call it GD) students go beyond rote memorization of facts. Could you live on two dollars a day in Honduras? Why isn`t there enough food in the world, or is there? In GD, students explore and present on topics. Global Dynamics, Service Learning, and ColLABs give students a platform to tell a richer story about who they want to be and how they will impact the world.
- School accreditations: NEASC, NAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Perry Dye ‘71 - Founder and president of Dye Designs. He is a world renowned golf course designer and has contributed to the design of hundreds of courses world wide. Golf Digest has ranked many of Perry’s courses at the top of their lists.
- Greg Selkoe ‘92 - Former CEO/Founder of Karmaloop, Greg now leads Curateurs.com an online retail business that aims to connect consumers with their favorite celebrities, artists and influencers by offering a glimpse into their wardrobes and incredible personal collections,
- Bruno Sundov ‘99 - The 7’3 inch student athlete from Split, Croatia had already been drafted in the NBA’s by the Dallas Mavericks in 1998, the year of the NBA Lockout. Because of the work stoppage, Bruno decided to attend The Winchendon School to learn English, American Cul
- Francisco Garcia ‘02 - Started at Winchendon, then moved on to play for Legendary Coach Rick Pitino at the University of Louisville. He was drafted in the first round of the 2005 NBA Draft by the Sacramento Kings and played for ten seasons in Sacramento, CA and Houston, TX.
- Lauren Kelly ‘14 - Was an outstanding student athlete starring in multiple sports signed a scholarship to attend Northeastern University to play for the Women’s Hockey Team. She is a former recipient of the Jason Ritchie Scholarship while at Winchendon and captain of the te
- Max MacKenzie ‘16 - Is an American actor, voice over artist, producer, and activist. After taking up acting at The Winchendon School, he debuted in his first film at the age of 18, in ‘Just Say Goodbye’ and also starred in an episode of Investigation Discovery’s highest rate
- Submit Review for The Winchendon School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.
July 04, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.