The Williston Northampton School
The Williston Northampton School Photo #2 - Williston promises an academic culture that respects your ability to think for yourself and gives you the right balance of structure and freedom to make the most of it. You'll be immersed in a challenging curriculum that cultivates active, lifelong learning. And with an average class size of 13 students, your teachers are truly going to know you.
The Williston Northampton School Photo #3 - Williston offers 145 courses in the humanities, sciences, and arts, including 37 Advanced Placement and honors courses. The Williston Scholars Program includes a faculty-directed independent study project. These two-trimester classes are small and dive deeply into subject matter. Students work with Five College professors and utilize other resources and professionals in the Pioneer Valley.
The Williston Northampton School Photo #4 - Students use a hybrid tablet device as part of Williston's Curricular Technology Initiative (CTI). The CTI is designed to bring consistent technology to campus so that students can quickly and easily access the digital tools they need to succeed, and in the process, not just keep up with the latest innovations but use them in their education.
The Williston Northampton School Photo #5 - Williston's college search process is highly personalized. Beginning in the junior year, students work individually with counselors to foster independent thinking so that each student can effectively determine which colleges are uniquely suited to him or her. The Class of 2014 was admitted to over 500 colleges and universities, including Brown, Connecticut College, Cornell, Harvard, Trinity, Union, Wesleyan, and Yale.
The Williston Northampton School Photo #6 - Williston offers an academic arts program with faculty who are practicing musicians, actors, and visual artists.The Reed Campus Center houses six painting and drawing studios, a dance studio, music classrooms, a gallery, and five sound-proofed practice rooms. The Williston Theater seats 288 people and offers a thrust stage, fly system, computerized lighting and sound system, and a scene shop.
The Williston Northampton School Photo #7 - Williston fields 67 interscholastic teams at the varsity, junior varsity, and beginner levels in 35 sports to give students a full range of opportunities to play. Athletics is an integral part of our education and community. Williston has always taken pride in its ability to be both highly competitive and inclusive, and the Wildcats have an impressive record of success.
The Williston Northampton School Photo #8 - Williston's athletic facilities include two basketball courts, four squash courts, wrestling room, fitness center, six-lane pool with diving well, two synthetic turf fields, eight-lane all-weather track, 12-court tennis complex, two softball fields, two baseball fields, seven playing fields, 3.1 mile cross country course, and ice rink.
The Williston Northampton School Photo #9 - Williston has 10 dorms, five for girls and five for boys. Freshmen live in separate ninth grade dorms but all other dorms are mixed grades. The school's Ninth Grade Program provides extra support to students as they make the important transition to high school. C.O.R.E. (Curiosity, Organization, Reflection, and Empathy) is the ninth grade theme and the program's foundation.
The Williston Northampton School Photo #10 - Williston is a community that's diverse, inclusive, and fun. Events such as the Holiday Banquet, Williston Film Festival, and Willy Gras, give you the opportunity to develop leadership and organizational abilities. Joining or starting clubs, serving as class officers or dorm proctors, managing sports teams, leading campus tours, and organizing community service projects are great ways to be involved.
- Williston is an exceptionally well-balanced educational community in the Five College-Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire & UMASS-area of Western Massachusetts.
- Our academic program will provide you every opportunity to challenge yourself, develop new interests and encounter traditional subject matter taught in innovative ways.
- The school integrates a core college preparatory curriculum with exciting electives and a unique relationship with the Five Colleges while all classes emphasize mastery of language, clarity of thought and academic integrity.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Elon University Williston has a great balance of day students and boarding students, which allow students to know and learn more about the area. With a widespread campus in a safe neighborhood and numerous stores and restaurants. . .
- University of Maine Williston was the best community I could've ever established an identity with. My parents teach at the school, so we actually had a house on the campus. I developed close relationships with not only. . .
- Harvard University At a first glance, The Williston Northampton School appears similar to most college preparatory schools. It contains a beautiful New England campus, wonderful and caring teachers, and great athletic and artistic facilities. However, as many. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Williston||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||7-12, PG||Pre-K-12|
|Campus Size||125 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||440 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$44 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,250||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||61%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Christopher J. Dietrich|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, AP Comparative Government & Politics, AP Computer Science, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Latin: Vergil, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP United States History, AP US Government & Politics, BC & Multivariable Calculus|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||35||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Adlibbers-Acting Group, BAHSA(Black and Hispanic Student Alliance), Blue and White Society (school spirit), Blue Notes (male a capella), Filipino Culture Club, Jane Austen Club, Maiyeros (boys a capella), Math Tutoring Society, Milagros (gospel choir), Mitchell Cabinet (Service Club), Model UN, Philanthropy Society, Photography Club, Science Team, Service Club, Spanish Community Center Tutors, Student Council Officers, Student Multicultural Board, Subterraneans, T.R.I.B.E. (Trust, Respect, Individuality, Belief, Equality), The Book Club and Literary Society, The Debate Society, The Log (Student Newspaper), Theater, Westtown Competitive Gaming Club, Willistonian (Student Newspaper)
Arts and Music Programs:
Chinese Chess Club, Make-a-Wish, Muslim Students Association, Native American Club, Peer Educators (healthy decisions), Philanthropy Club, Principles of Coaching
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Maiyeros - male a cappella, The Press - campus sports news
|Year: 2011 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University, Trinity College||20|
|Hobart College, University of Massachusetts||16|
|Connecticut College, Union College||14|
|Colby College, Bentley University, Ithaca College||11|
|University of Vermont||10|
|Cornell, Skidmore, Babson, USC||8|
|Williams, Middlebury, Wesleyan, Fordham||6|
|Brown, University of Pennsylvania, Tufts, Carnegie Mellon||5|
|Harvard, Yale, Amherst, Hamilton||3|
- The Williston Northampton School accreditations: NEASC, TABS, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Steve Porter ’97 - PorterHouse Media produces ESPN video mashups
- G.P. Gromacki ’89 - Led Amherst College women's basketball team to the NCAA Division III championship, named Coach of the Year by D3hoops.com.
- William S. Clark - UMass/Amherst President
- Winthrop Crane - 40th Governor of Massachusetts, U.S. Senator
- Brad Hall ’75 - Actor, producer, writer. Saturday Night Live Weekend Update anchor
- Patrick Rissmiller - Professional hockey player, NHL NY Rangers forward
- George Crockett Strong, Class of 1851 - U.S. Civil War General
- Robert Samuelson ’63 - Economic columnist and journalist, editor for Newsweek and the Washington Post, author
- George Stanley Hall - Psychologist, father of American Psychology
- Tony Lavelli ’45 - First overall NBA draft pick, accordionist for the Harlem Globetrotters
- Submit Review for The Williston Northampton School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
Boarding Schools in a Minute gives an overview of independent residential schools in North America.
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.