- Lawrence Academy is a coeducational independent school of 395 students located in Groton, Massachusetts.Offering grades 9-12, LA is home to an equal split of day and boarding students, within a welcoming, open educational culture.Immersive, individualized learning is essential to our program, and our knowledgeable faculty teach students how to think, not what to think.Throughout the year, our teachers assess students' interests and needs and adapt to them.Our goal is to see students grow in knowledge, confidence, and empathy.Within Lawrence Academy's healthy environment of rigorous learning, students graduate as well-developed individuals with a mission and a passion for that purpose.
- Virtual Event - Thu., October 08, 2020 6:30pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., October 15, 2020 6:30pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., October 22, 2020 6:30am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., October 29, 2020 6:30pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., November 05, 2020 6:30pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., November 12, 2020 6:30pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- ...read more
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Emory University The ninth grade program is completely unique to Lawrence Academy. It teaches students how to learn and develop thinking skills rather than immediately be immersed in facts and dates. It develops a strong. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Lawrence Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||140 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||409 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1230||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$29.6 million||$22 million|
|Tuition international students||$65,925||$52,900|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$39,890||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||55%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Phil Blood|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Rob Olsen|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
A Taste of Groton Club, A/V Communications Club, Admissions Tour Guides, Asian Culture Club, Business Club, Coding Club, Community Service Advisory Board, Consortium (literary magazine), Debate Club, Dorm Proctor, Environmental Sustainability Council, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Girl Up Club, Grilling Club, Judiciary Council, Makers Club, Moral Courage Task Force, Pawsitive Vibes Dog Club, Peer Counseling, Peer Tutoring, Spartan Science, Spoken Word Poetry Club, Student Government, Student/Faculty Senate, Umoja (Unity), Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Dance Program, Jazz Band, L.A. Singers, Lawrencian Chorale, Stage Crew, Theater
|Year: 2015 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||12|
|New York University||7|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Lawrence Academy embraces an individualized approach to learning in a highly collaborative community of 400 boarding and day students. LA features a balanced academic program of intellectual development, self-discovery, wellness, and a desire to serve the greater good.
- Our curriculum is supported by LA`s advisory program; daily meetings between adults and a group of 4-8 students. In the classroom, faculty teach students how to think, not what to think. Our Research and Immersive Learning electives allow students to pursue topics independently. Meanwhile, the Omnibus program pursues essential and complex health conversations.
- Co-curricular activities are key to the LA experience. Our Dance students are mainstays at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, while the LA Singers frequently grace the stage at Carnegie Hall. LA Spartans compete in the Independent School League and our student-athletes often move on to compete on NCAA squads. Clubs, diversity groups, and leadership roles of nearly every ilk also encourage students to develop in confidence and character.
- Winterim, LA`s two-week experiential education program, takes students outside the classroom. Science excursions to the Galapagos Islands, volunteering at a refugee camp in Greece, or exploring the legal system in Boston and Washington, D.C., are just a few of Winterim`s opportunities.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Lawrence Academy accreditations: NEASC, TABS, NAIS, AISNE
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Tim Armstrong - AOL Chairman and CEO
- Dana Messina - CEO and owner of Steinway Piano
- Audrey McNiff - Managing Director at Goldman Sachs
- Page McConnell - Keyboard player for Phish
- Steve Heinze - '88 Olympian in men's hockey and former NHL player for Boston Bruins and LA Kings
- Laurie Baker - Three time Olympian in women's hockey
- Antoine Wright - NBA player for Dallas Mavericks
- Tyler Beede - Player for the San Francisco Giants
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Lawrence Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.