Applewild School Photo #2 - Students in Upper School learn to manage their academics through nightly homework as well as longer-term projects. They learn self-advocacy skills in classes and at regularly scheduled extra help sessions.
Applewild School Photo #3 - Children quickly find their place in the Applewild community. In an environment of small classes and enthusiastic students and teachers, everyone at Applewild is known personally, as an individual with talents and strengths to celebrate.
Applewild School Photo #4 - Throughout the course of their career, Applewild Upper School students learn who they are as learners through our metacognitive approach. They practice and develop the key skills of planning, initiating, and executing their academic objectives.
Applewild School Photo #5 - Accelerated sections in math and science are available beginning in the seventh grade. All students are valued, nurtured, and known as the individual learners that they are.
Applewild School Photo #6 - Art, shop, band, chorus, and drama are just as essential to an Applewild education as math, social studies, science, and language arts. We recognize that the arts are an integral part of every child`s emotional and intellectual development, so we`ve created spaces where our students have the opportunity to actively create and express themselves.
Applewild School Photo #7 - Our arts and athletics programs are highlights of the student experience at Applewild. Beginning in the sixth grade, our students learn to play an instrument and perform with our Symphonic Band, Jazz Gems, and Jazz Band as part of our instrumental music program.
Applewild School Photo #8 - Students who are passionate athletes become leaders and mentors for those trying a sport for the first time in our athletics program. There is great pride and fun putting on that green-and-white uniform and playing for the Hawks!
Applewild School Photo #9 - Families searching for the right combination of academic programs and school culture know the inherent value in finding "the right fit" for their son or daughter. These families can search far and wide to find the school that will best support their sons and daughters and for many, Applewild School is that magical "fit."
Applewild School Photo #10 - The Applewild curriculum prepares students to excel in secondary school. Our students often become leaders in the arts and in extracurricular activities at the secondary schools to which they matriculate, as well as stellar students. We teach students in a traditional setting that provides them with the time-management, organizational, and personal skills necessary for success.
Founded in 1957, Applewild School is an independent, coed junior boarding (5-9) and day school (PS-9).
Located one hour outside of Boston, Applewild students enjoy access to New England's finest landmarks and attractions.
Applewild has educated students from around the world for over a decade, with a vibrant liberal arts curriculum, thoughtful English Language Learning program, robust athletics and arts offerings, and excellent secondary school placement.
Our Core Values of Respect, Fairness, Responsibility, Compassion, Cooperation, Honesty, and Civic-Mindedness are the foundation of our community and curriculum.
- Boarding School Fair - Tue., October 19, 2021 - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., October 20, 2021 4:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., October 23, 2021 - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Fri., October 29, 2021 12:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., November 01, 2021 7:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., November 11, 2021 6:30pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., November 17, 2021 4:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Fri., December 03, 2021 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- ...read more
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Applewild School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||5-9||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-9||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||26 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||275 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(5 Day Boarding)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Dec. 15 / Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Alec Wall|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Track, Track and Field|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Located at the top of the hill, adjacent to our athletic fields and neighboring conservation lands, our Flat Rock Dormitory houses 16 boys and girls, plus three dorm parents. With a long tradition of faculty housing on campus, we understand the importance of multiple points of contact: our dorm parents will not only care for and attend to our boarding students during evenings and on weekends, but they will be involved in daily campus life as tutors, coaches, and teachers. Knowing our students well helps us to support them in all of their endeavors-academic, athletic, and social.
- Foundations at Applewild is a private school for creative and intelligent students diagnosed with Language-Based Learning Disabilities in grades 2 through 8. Five or Seven-day Junior boarding is available for grades 5-8. Located one hour outside of Boston, Foundations is co-located with Applewild School on a safe, convenient, and beautiful suburban campus. Foundations attracts students who would benefit from our therapeutic and prescriptive approach to addressing LBLDs within a vibrant liberal arts curriculum. Our Core Values of Respect, Fairness, Responsibility, Compassion, Cooperation, Honesty, and Civic-Mindedness are the foundation of our community and curriculum.
- LD types supported: dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, executive function
- Applewild School accreditations: AISNE, NAIS, SBSA, TABS
Profile last updated: 07/19/2021
- Submit Review for Applewild School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 3-9| 196 students 40.6 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 4-9 | 76 students 153.9 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.