5.00 (4 reviews)
360 Asheville School Rd.
Asheville, NC 28806
Asheville, NC 28806
Asheville School has 21 interscholastic sports teams and the school's athletic facilities are considered among the best in the Southeast.
Smaller classes allow students to engage in respectful discussion and debate with their peers or one-on-one guidance with their teacher. The average class size is 13.
Asheville School classrooms are a warm and inviting place. While the substance of the curriculum is traditional, teachers use innovation to connect the subject matter to their students and keep it relevant.
- Asheville School is one of the nation's leading boarding schools.
- What sets us apart? Academics - Our challenging academic program-including 21 Honors courses and 16 Advanced Placement (AP) courses-helps give our students a competitive edge.
- They learn to reason and communicate clearly. They attend top colleges.
- Most importantly, they go on to lives of leadership and service.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Emory University Required Afternoon Activities made our campus pretty special. You were forced to sign up for either a sport, music, theater, or art to take up your afternoons. It was pretty beneficial because it. . .
- Harvard University What really sets Asheville School apart are the teachers and how much they care about the students. I have never seen or heard tell of another faculty as devoted to their students and to helping. . .
- Sewanee: The University of the South Asheville School is situated in the most beautiful area of the country. My dorm looked out over the Blue Ridge Mountains. Nothing could have been better for a teenager to wake up to. . .
- UNC-Chapel Hill The Mountaineering program at Asheville School is one of the best outdoors programs in the Southeast. From rock-climbing, to equestrian, to ice-climbing, to camping in the Blueridge Mountains, the Asheville School Mountaineering program offers. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Asheville School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||300 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||288 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1310||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1170 - 1350||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||37||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$49 million||$18 million|
|Tuition international students||$55,500||$48,100|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||33500||$22,844|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Dec. 10 / Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||63%||-|
|Director of Admissions||John T. Smith III|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Derry Roberson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||37||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Literature, AP French, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Computer Science, AP Environmental Science, AP European English, AP European History, AP Studio Art, Honors Algebra II , Honors American Studies, History, Honors Chemistry , Honors Chinese II, Honors Chinese IV, Honors Chinese V, Honors European Studies, History, Honors French II, Honors French III, Honors French IV, Honors Geometry, Honors Humanities Seminar, Honors Humanities Seminar II, Honors Physics , Honors Precalculus , Honors Precalculus, Advanced, Honors Spanish II, Honors Spanish III, Honors Spanish IV, Honors World Studies, English|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Christian Fellowship Club, Hoste Society (Tour Guides), International Club, Mitchell Cabinet (Service Club), Peer Tutoring, Prefects (Senior Student Leaders), Proctors (Junior Student Leaders), Service Projects, Students for Environmental Awareness, The Ashnoca (Student Newspaper), The Blue and White (Yearbook), The Review (Literary Magazine)
Arts and Music Programs:
Chapel, Chorus, Fine Arts Club, Handbell Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Caving, Hiking Club, Ice Climbing, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Skiing
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Asheville School is one of the nation's leading boarding schools. What sets us apart?
- Academics. Our challenging academic program-including 21 Honors courses and 16 Advanced Placement (AP) courses-helps give our students a competitive edge. They learn to reason and communicate clearly. They attend top colleges. Most importantly, they go on to lives of leadership and service.
- Size. We're small -- about 288 dynamic, talented students in grades 9-12. Students receive support from dedicated, inspiring faculty, most of whom live right on campus.
- Values and Opportunities. From our student-run honor system to our unwritten code of respect, values matter here. And students have many opportunities for leadership and participation in competitive athletics, the arts, and outdoor adventure.
- Campus. Our stunning 300-acre campus is in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains-on the outskirts of Asheville, NC, a city that mixes cosmopolitan style with southern culture. Our facilities combine gorgeous, historic buildings with 21st century technology.
- School accreditations: NAIS, TABS, SACS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Sam Johnson - The founder of S.C. Johnson Wax. The Johnson family of companies also owns Saran, Ziploc, Raid, OFF, Glade, Pledge, Drano, Shout and Windex, among others.
- Reg Garner - The creator of Texas Pete Hot Sauce.
- Richard Kimberly - Kimberly-Clarke
- Harvey, Roger and Russell Firestone - Firestone Tires
- Submit Review for Asheville School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.
July 04, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.