5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (828) 254-6345
360 Asheville School Rd.
Asheville, NC 28806
Asheville, NC 28806
Asheville School Photo #3 - Boyd Chapel. Our Core Values are perseverance, integrity, respect, and compassion.
Asheville School Photo #4 - Smaller classes allow students to engage in respectful discussion and debate with their peers or one-on-one guidance with their teacher. The average class size is 13.
Asheville School Photo #5 - Asheville School classrooms are a warm and inviting place. While the substance of the curriculum is traditional, teachers use innovation to connect the subject matter to their students and keep it relevant.
Asheville School Photo #6 - Students at Asheville School are a part of a very close and caring community.
Asheville School Photo #8 - Asheville School has 21 interscholastic sports teams and the school's athletic facilities are considered among the best in the Southeast.
- Asheville School is one of the nation's leading boarding schools.
- What sets us apart? Academics - Our challenging academic program-including 22 Honors courses and 16 Advanced Placement (AP) courses-helps give our students a competitive edge.
- Asheville School students learn to reason and communicate clearly, and they attend top colleges.
- Most importantly, Asheville School students go on to lives of leadership and service.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Emory University Required Afternoon Activities made our campus pretty special. You were forced to sign up for either a sport, music, theater, or art to take up your afternoons. It was pretty beneficial because it. . .
- Harvard University What really sets Asheville School apart are the teachers and how much they care about the students. I have never seen or heard tell of another faculty as devoted to their students and to helping. . .
- Sewanee: The University of the South Asheville School is situated in the most beautiful area of the country. My dorm looked out over the Blue Ridge Mountains. Nothing could have been better for a teenager to wake up to. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Asheville School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||300 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||294 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1310||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1170 - 1350||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||37||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$48.8 million||$22 million|
|Tuition international students||$58,280||$53,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$31,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Dec. 10 / Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||63%||-|
|Director of Admissions||John T. Smith III|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Derry Roberson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||37||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Literature, AP French, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Computer Science, AP Environmental Science, AP European English, AP European History, AP Studio Art, Honors Algebra II , Honors American Studies, History, Honors Chemistry , Honors Chinese II, Honors Chinese IV, Honors Chinese V, Honors European Studies, History, Honors French II, Honors French III, Honors French IV, Honors Geometry, Honors Humanities Seminar, Honors Humanities Seminar II, Honors Physics , Honors Precalculus , Honors Precalculus, Advanced, Honors Spanish II, Honors Spanish III, Honors Spanish IV, Honors World Studies, English|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||38||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
App Development, Bird Watching Club, Black Student Union, Bow Tie Society, Chess Club, Christian Fellowship, Cinema, Cooking Club, Cycling, Design Club, Forensics, Gay Straight Alliance, Hoste Society (tour guides), International Club, Martial Arts Club, Math Club, Microlending, Mitchell Cabinet (Service Club), Multicultural Club, Peer Tutoring, Photography Club, Robotics, Student Activities Committee, Student Council, Table Tennis Club, The Ashnoca (Student Newspaper), Theatre Performance
Arts and Music Programs:
Chapel Choir, Chorus, Dance, Drama, Handbell Choir, SongCraft, Studio Art, The Blue and White (Yearbook), The Review (Literary Magazine)
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1900, Asheville School is one of the few remaining true small boarding schools in America.
- This is a nurturing community, where our students and faculty genuinely know one another - thanks to family-style seated meals, senior chapel talks and century-old traditions.
- We offer a rigorous college preparatory program. Many of our graduates are accepted to the most prestigious schools in the country. In fact, the majority of our recent graduates are attending colleges and universities Barron's rates as "highly selective" and "most selective."
- We teach 21st century and timeless skills - critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creativity - in a traditional setting, where students are known and loved.
- Our acceptance rate is 40 percent, and we have alumni in all 50 states and in about 35 countries around the world.
- Our 300-acre campus, with pastoral fields encircled by the Blue Ridge Mountains, is nestled in the city of Asheville, North Carolina. In fact, Architectural Digest named Asheville School the most beautiful private high school in North Carolina in 2018.
- Asheville School accreditations: NAIS, TABS, SACS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Amy "Bellamy" Young 1987 - Amy "Bellamy" Young is an actress best known for her role as First Lady Mellie Grant on ABC’s political drama series Scandal.
- Pete Dye, Jr. 1944 - Dye designed world-renowned golf courses, including Oak Tree in Oklahoma City, The Johns Island Club in Vero Beach, the Harbortown Golf Course in Hilton Head, The Saw Grass Course in Ponte Vedra and the Ocean Course in Kiawah.
- Roy Kim 2012 - In 2012, Roy Kim won Korea’s hit TV show Superstar K4. He received Mnet’s Booming Star and Hot Music Cover awards and has been at the top of Korean pop music charts.
- Jose Gonzalez 1985 - In 2017, Gonzalez was appointed as Mexico's Minister of Finance under President Peña Nieto. He previously served as the CEO of Petróleos Mexicanos, more commonly known as PEMEX.
- Charles Ries 1968 - Charles Ries was the U.S. Ambassador to Greece from 2004-2007. He served as Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs from 2000-2004, overseeing U.S.-European Union economics, energy, and public diplomacy.
- Frederick F. Wherry 1990 - Wherry is a professor of sociology at Princeton University. He serves as the department representative for the Department of Sociology, and he has served as vice-president and president of the Social Science History Association.
- Jennifer Pharr-Davis 2001 - In 2011, Jennifer Pharr-Davis set the record for the fastest thru hike of the Appalachian Trail with a time of 46 days, 11 hours, and 20 minutes. She has written two memoirs: Becoming Odyssa and Called Again.
- James Hormel 1950 - James Hormel was the first openly gay person to serve as a United States Ambassador. He was appointed by President Bill Clinton in 1999 to be the Ambassador to Luxembourg. He is the grandson of George A. Hormel, founder of Hormel Foods.
- Levin H. Campbell 1944 - Honorable Judge Levin H. Campbell was confirmed to serve on the First Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in 1972. He served as Chief Judge from 1983 to 1990 and assumed senior status in 1992.
- Perla Haney-Jardine 2015 - Perla Haney-Jardine is an actress best known for her roles in Steve Jobs (2015), Future Weather (2012), Spider-Man 3 (2007) and Kill Bill: Vol 2 (2004).
- Submit Review for Asheville School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?