- Christ School is a college preparatory school affiliated with the Episcopal Church. Our mission is to produce educated men of good character, prepared for both scholastic achievement in college and productive citizenship in adult society.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Birmingham Southern College I think that one of the most unique aspects of Christ School is the morning job program. Many boarding schools have students take care of the light cleaning in their respective dormitories once a week. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Christ School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||500 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||293 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Shirt and Tie )
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$17.5 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Dec. 15 / Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Palmer Straughn|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Eric Thorp '01|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Language, AP English LIterature, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics C, AP Physics I, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government and Politics, AP U.S. History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Football, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||34||24|
|Extracurriculars||Big Brother Program, Community Service Club, Judiciary Committee, Kayaking, Library Club, Merit Program, National Honor Society, Prefects, Public Speaking, Senior Leaders, Student Honor Council, Student Tutors, Triple Threat Club, Yearbook, Young Life|
Club or Organization:
Art and Literary Magazine, Blue Key (admission guides), Boy Scouts of America, Cadet Art Show - Alumni Weekend, Coosa International Tennis Academy, Junior States of America, Korean Culture Club, Meant to be RED newspaper, Physics Club, School Senate, Senior Peer Leaders, Sesquipedalians, Soccer Academy, Student Admissions Representatives (STARS), The Struan (Literary and Arts Magazine), Toastmasters, Writing Lab
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2015 - 2020||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|UNC- Chapel Hill||31|
|North Carolina State University||18|
|University of South Carolina||11|
|Appalachian State University||10|
|University of Tenneessee||9|
|Sewanee: The University of the South||8|
- Christ School, an all-boys college preparatory school affiliated with the Episcopal Church, is known for educating boys through its fourfold philosophy:
- First and most important, we challenge and encourage each student, in the nurturing environment of a close-knit campus, to develop academically to his maximum potential.
- Second, through competitive sports, student self-government, and a variety of extracurricular activities, we help each student to develop his physical fitness and leadership skills, and his respect for others regardless of their origins, cultures or beliefs.
- Third, by involvement in the care of our campus home, students learn civic duty, along with a sense of the dignity of honest labor.
- Finally, through religious instruction and regular participation in Chapel activities, each of our students learns the sustaining value of faith and spiritual growth throughout his life.
- Our hallmarks include small classes, AP and honors courses in all subjects, extensive extracurricular opportunities, and an outstanding faculty.
- The nationally recognized Outdoor Program utilizes our 500-acre campus and the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains.
- The athletic program features 19 teams in 11 sports, assuring places for all boys.
- Graduates attend leading national universities.
- Affiliated with the Episcopal Church, we serve boys of all faiths.
- LD types supported: Yes
- Christ School accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS),Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS) & Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Charles Wright '53 - Poet Laureate of the United States (2014-15)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Christ School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 215 students 361.5 miles49 Seahorse Lane
Christchurch, VA 23031
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?