5.00 (4 reviews)
49 Seahorse Lane
Christchurch, VA 23031
Christchurch, VA 23031
Christchurch School Photo #2 - A 125-acre waterfront campus on the Rappahannock River in the Chesapeake Bay watershed allows Christchurch School to offer an educational experience and a lifestyle found at no other school in the United States. The academic schedule is similar to a college schedule, with classes beginning at 9 a.m.
Christchurch School Photo #3 - Christchurch's innovative "Great Journeys" curriculum takes full advantage of the school's riverfront location. The river and historic Tidewater area serve as a living classroom where students participate in hands-on learning that is not duplicated by any other school. Applying the skills they learn to solve problems at the river prepares students to solve problems in the larger world.
Christchurch School Photo #4 - Sports are an integral part of the Christchurch experience. Every student has an opportunity to play, from aspiring college athletes to those who just want to hit the field for fun.
Christchurch School Photo #5 - An excellent education isn't limited to academics. Christchurch's co-curricular activities support and complement the academic program, while creating balance for student by encouraging them to develop interests outside of schoolwork.
Christchurch School Photo #6 - Christchurch is recognized for rigorous academics and a well-rounded college prep program. 100% of Christchurch students are accepted to four-year colleges, with the majority attending universities on the U.S. News & World Report's top 150 list.
Christchurch School Photo #7 - In addition to rigorous course material, students learn how to collaborate, problem solve, and use evolving technology as a creative tool. Students develop the critical thinking skills that prepare them for college courses and careers, including those that don't yet exist. In a world that is rapidly changing, Christchurch School teaches students how to navigate those changes with confidence.
Christchurch School Photo #8 - Approximately 25% of Christchurch students benefit from the learning skills program, the first program of its kind at a Virginia boarding school. Trained faculty offer specific learning and organizational strategies, in addition to study skills that prepare these students for academic success, often at a level they did not imagine possible.
Christchurch School Photo #9 - Christchurch residence halls are a welcoming home away from home, a place where friends live, study, and relax together. Students gain new sense of independence living away from mom and dad, but can rest assured that dorm parents will be available 24/7 to help with everything from coping with homesickness to how to do laundry.
- LOCATED ON THE SCENIC RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER, an hour east of Richmond, Virginia. Christchurch School is an Episcopal boarding and day school for students in grades 9-12. Our average enrollment is 200, with 70% boarding and 30% day.
- CHRISTCHURCH IS THE PLACE for students who aren't challenged by or satisfied with a one-size-fits-all education, and families who believe that learning should mean more than just taking a test.
- CHRISTCHURCH PROVIDES A CHALLENGING, YET NURTURING, ENVIRONMENT in which students are encouraged to explore their current interests and their future potential. Christchurch helps students clarify what they want and where they want to go, and then helps them develop the skills and formulate the plan that will get them there.
- STUDENTS DISCOVER SKILLS, APTITUDES, AND TALENTS they didn't know they had. They come to realize and understand their own intrinsic value, and the tremendous value they bring to their school, to the community, and to the world.
- THE ULTIMATE PAYOFF from a Christchurch education is more than just earning a diploma or being accepted into the right college.
- CHRISTCHURCH SCHOOL IS THE PLACE and the experience where your best possible future begins. Set YOUR course at the river.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Radford University Our focus is revolved around the health of the Chesapeake Bay especially the Rappahannock River. We have a Cans for Oyster drive where we plant oyster seeds in the mouth of the river to clean. . .
- Wesley Theological Seminary I attended Christchurch School (CCS) from 1973 - 1976. I was one of the first African American students to attend and the seventh black to graduate from the school. I graduated with the distinct honor. . .
- Ohio Wesleyan University Christchurch helps all of their students truly find out "who they are" and what their strengths are. As a college and life preparatory environment, Christchurch succeeds in every way preparing their family of students to. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Christchurch School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||125 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||206 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1180||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Casual neat, no jeans, collared shirt)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4 million||$18 million|
(Personal laptop required)
(Personal laptop required)
|Tuition international students||$8,000||$48,850|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$27,380|
(Need-based financial aid grants)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Billy Burlee|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Kelly Espy-Page|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|Courses||Honors Biology, Honors Calculus I, Honors Calculus II, Honors Chemistry, Honors Chinese III, Honors Chinese IV, Honors Computer Science, Honors Early American History, Honors English 10, Honors English 11, Honors English 12, Honors English 9, Honors History Seminar, Honors Integrated Science 10, Honors Integrated Science 11, Honors Integrated Science 9, Honors Modern World History, Honors Physics, Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Spanish Seminar, Honors Spanish V, Honors US History and Government|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Swimming, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||7||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Diners Club, Drama Club, Fashion and Design, Music, National Honor Society, Senior Class Officers
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2007 - 2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|James Madison University||10|
|University of Mary Washington||9|
|College of William and Mary||4|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||4|
|University of Richmond||3|
|University of Virginia||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Many students begin high school with a self-understanding that's very narrow - "I'm a lacrosse player," "I'm a good student," or sometimes, "I just don't fit in." At Christchurch, we help students realize their potential isn't limited to just one box. The Christchurch hallmark isn't our unique curriculm, our many sports championships, or our beautiful campus. It's the graduate who leaves Christchurch a larger person than when he or she came in, a graduate who can do well academically, professionally, and socially at any college, in any profession, or at any place int he world. That's the real goal of a Christchurch education. -- Jeb Byers, Headmaster, Christchurch School
- LD types supported: Executive Function Deficit, ADHD/Language-based Learning Differences, Mild Dyslexia
- Christchurch School accreditations: VAIS, TABS, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Bill Easterling - Nobel Laureate, Dean, College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, Penn State; lead author, United Nations climate change report
- William Styron - Pulitzer Prize Winner
- Lewis B. Puller, Jr. - Pulitzer Prize Winner
- Malcolm Campbell - Former Publisher, SPIN Magazine
- Vincent Canby - Chief Film Critic, New York Times
- Bill Broaddus - Former Attorney General, Commonwealth of Virginia
- John Craine, Jr. - President, SUNY Maritime College
- Alec Faulkner - Player, Valentine FC (pro soccer)
- Devin Robinson - Player, Washington Wizards (NBA)
- Pat Young - Player, Charlotte Hounds (pro lacrosse)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Christchurch School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 170 students 120.5 miles1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.