The Calverton School
The Calverton School Photo #2 - Visit our beautiful campus situated in Southern Maryland on 152 acres. We welcome you come for a tour of our facilities or view our campus video.
The Calverton School Photo #4 - DC Calverton is our elite soccer program which combines club-level ball with our International Baccalaureate academics. This program is designed to provide training and opportunities for players looking to play at the next level.
The Calverton School Photo #5 - Welcome to our One World Residential Village. Four residential houses are tucked back on our campus for student boarding.
The Calverton School Photo #6 - At Calverton there is a combination of local day students, boarding students from across the US, and international students from many different countries.
The Calverton School Photo #7 - Student driven fundraising for Project Hope brought awareness and funds to medical professionals in China and across the globe.
The Calverton School Photo #8 - This is an example of the spacious rooms in our One World Residential Village.
Fostering a culture of respect, high expectations, and shared experiences, The Calverton School instills in students intellectual curiosity, personal responsibility, and a strong work ethic to prepare them for higher education and responsible citizenship in a democratic and global community.
- Grades: (Boarding) 8-12, PG
- Students: 286 students
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Definition of Terms | 2021 School Data
The Calverton School
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
Grades Offered (Day)
% Students of Color
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Average SAT Score
* National Avg. »View
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
Number of IB Courses Offered
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
% Students on Financial Aid
Merit Scholarships Offered
None / Rolling
Associate Director of Admissions
Beth Lennon, Heidi Merryman
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
- The Calverton School, founded in 1967, is an independent college preparatory school serving students from early childhood through Grade 12. Calverton prides itself on providing a challenging college-preparatory program in an environment that promotes honesty, tolerance, respect, and responsibility. Small class sizes and excellent student-to-teacher ratios ensure that each student is challenged in every aspect of school endeavor. Our small school size provides each student the opportunity to contribute to the larger community and helps to create an inclusive school that celebrates diversity and helps each student reach his or her potential. The school provides students with experiences of diversity and welcomes students of all races, socioeconomic backgrounds and beliefs. The Calverton School, steeped in a solid academic tradition, educates students to have the independence of judgment, personal freedom, and strength of character so that they can become leaders with broad intellectual horizons.
- The Calverton School accreditations: National Association of Independent Schools, AIMS- Association of Independent Maryland and DC Schools
Profile last updated: 10/03/2021
Want To Teach In A Boarding School?
Teaching in a boarding school is the same as teaching in a public school, right? Not exactly. Some explanations here.
Academics: Advanced Placement
As part of your evaluation of boarding schools, you will examine the academics. We look at one aspect of what many schools teach, namely, Advanced Placement courses.
Are You Looking At The Wrong Schools?
By "wrong schools", I mean schools that don't fit your needs and requirements. Finding the "right school' implies that the school meets 99% of what you require. More here.