EF Academy New York
South Hall is our brand new dorm for our 9th and 10th graders. It opened September 2016 and features spacious triple rooms, social lounges and a kitchen.
Our state-of-the-art science labs engage students in the STEM fields along with STEM clubs that include computer coding, 3D design and print club, Engineering club, web and app design club, electronics club and archaeology club. Our strongest science students apply to the Columbia University Science Honors Program which they participate in on Saturdays.
The EF Academy Storm boasts several interscholastic sports teams including: Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Girls Volleyball, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Golf, Cross Country, Track and Field, Cheerleading
Girls triple dormitory. Optional twin or single room is also available for students at an extra cost.
There are many spaces to lounge and socialize around campus. This is our front lobby. With plenty of natural light and comfy chairs, there are always people around.
Our theater is home not only to our dramatic and musical productions, but also serves as the venue for important events on campus such as Lunar New Year and assemblies featuring a Holocaust survivor, an Olympic Gold Medalist and a University a cappella group
- EF Academy's mission is to provide a superior education, preparation for university, and a future that knows no borders.
- Located on our 98-acre woodland campus in Thornwood, New York, our school is home to over 700 students from 80 different countries around the world all while being a 45-minute train ride to New York City. As an official IB World School, EF Academy is accredited to grant not only the New York State Diploma, but also the world-renowned International Baccalaureate Diploma, providing our students with an opportunity to experience a rigorous and progressive academic track in addition to a unique student life and an impressive array of clubs.
- Among friends and faculty from the US and around the world, EF Academy International Boarding School aims to prepare students not only for future educational success, but also to create true global citizens through critical learning and unparalleled intercultural immersion.
- EF Academy also offers an unprecedented global campus rotation option among its other locations: Oxford, England; and Torbay, England.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|EF Academy New York||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||100 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||715 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No tank tops, no flip flops, no ripped jeans, no hats, no references to drugs/tobacco/alcohol/violence, all clothing must be of appropriate length.)
|Average Class Size||17 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||38||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(Day students welcome to join weekend activities)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / Mar. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jason M. Kirschner|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||n/a||17|
|Courses||IB Biology SL/HL, IB Business SL/HL, IB Chemistry SL/HL, IB Chinese A Literature HL, IB Chinese AB Initio SL, IB Chinese B HL, IB Computer Sciences SL, IB Economics SL/HL, IB English B HL/SL, IB English Language and Literature HL, IB English Literature HL, IB Environmental Systems SL, IB French AB Initio SL, IB French B HL, IB Geography SL, IB German A Literature HL, IB German AB Initio SL, IB History HL/SL, IB Korean A Literature HL, IB Math SL/HL, IB Math Studies SL, IB Music SL/HL, IB Norwegian A Literature HL, IB Physics SL/HL, IB Portuguese A Literature HL, IB Psychology SL, IB Russian A Language and Literature HL, IB Russian A Literature HL, IB Russian AB Initio SL, IB Self-taught A Literature SL, IB Spanish A Literature HL, IB Spanish AB Initio SL, IB Spanish B HL, IB Thai A Literature HL, IB Theatre SL/HL, IB Vietnamese A Literature HL, IB Visual Arts SL/HL, Physics SL/HL|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||40||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
3D Design and Print, Archaeology Club, Art Club, Art Portfolio Prep Club, Chess Club, Coding Club, Comedy Improv Club, Community Service Club, Creative Writing Club, Culture and Language Exchange, Drama Club, Electronics Club, Film Lovers Club, Gardening Club, Gay Straight Alliance, Glee Club, Healthy Living Club, Literary Magazine, Lunar New Year Club, Math Club, Mind and Body Club, Model United Nations, National Honors Society, Orchestra/Music Ensembles, Outdoor Leadership Club, Photography Club, Physics Club, Psychology Tutoring and Peer Tutoring Club, Puzzle Game Club, Rockband, Soap Club, Social Media Club, STEAM (Engineering) Club, Stock Market Club, Student Council, Watercoloring, Web and App Design, Yoga Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian Club, Girls Workout Clu
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Local Goes Global: Our students come from more than 80 countries, including the United States, while our faculty represents over 40 countries. This unique atmosphere provides students with an advantageous experience, one that enhances their worldview in addition to their resume. We emphasize areas of study such as languages, cross-cultural communication, sciences and world history; all of which are increasingly in demand in the global marketplace.
- Safe, Peaceful, Scenic Campus: Our private and secure 98-acre campus is located in in the forested town of Thornwood, New York. Boasting modern facilities; including science labs, theaters, interactive classrooms, a library, a fitness center, tennis courts, full boarding accommodations and more, our campus serves as a comfortable and productive home away from home for our students. New York City, a center of culture and learning, is a 45-minute train ride away, and the train station is less than two miles from campus (5-10 minutes by local bus or taxi).
- IB Advantage: According to the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO), students who participate in IB Programs are more than twice as likely to be accepted into the Top 50 universities in the United States. With over 30 IB course offerings, EF Academy is proud to be an IB World School. Students in EF Academy programs have earned places at top universities including: Oxford, Cambridge, University of Michigan, Columbia, University of Southern California, Columbia, St. Andrew's, NYU, UCLA, Williams College, Johns Hopkins University, University of Virgina, and UC Berkeley.
- Worldwide Leader in Education: EF Academy is a division of EF Education First, a global leader in the field of international education. Founded in 1965, EF Education First is the largest private educational organization in the world. EF`s Hult International Business School is ranked among the Financial Times` top 100 business schools. EF is also well known for its study abroad and language programs; where it has cared for and educated thousands of young people for over 50 years.
- School Accreditations: IB World School, The University of the State of New York Education Department: Certificate of High School Registration, GIBS, ACCET, AAIEP, University of Cambridge International Testing Centre.
- School accreditations: IB World school, The University of the State of New York Education Department: Certificate of High School Registration, GIBS, ACCET, AAIEP, University of Cambridge International Testing Centre
- Submit Review for EF Academy New York
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 146 students 33.5 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 180 students 24.9 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
- Grades: 7-12 | 124 students 243.6 miles9790 Thayer Street
Houghton, NY 14744
March 22, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 14, 2018
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.