EF Academy New York
EF Academy New York Photo #2 - EF Academy's state-of-the-art science labs engage students in the STEM fields along with STEM clubs that include computer coding, 3D design and print club, engineering club, web, and app design club, electronics club and archaeology club. Our strongest science students apply to the Columbia University Science Honors Program which they participate in on Saturdays.
EF Academy New York Photo #3 - South Hall is EF Academy New York's residential community for our 9th and 10th graders. Newly built, it features spacious triple rooms, social lounges and a kitchen.
EF Academy New York Photo #4 - EF Academy New York's South Hall residence (for students in grades 9 and 10).
EF Academy New York Photo #5 - There are many spaces on the EF Academy New York campus to lounge and socialize.
EF Academy New York Photo #6 - Twin room at EF Academy New York. Upgrades are available for students in grades 11 and 12. Rooms are also available as a single.
EF Academy New York Photo #7 - EF Academy's small class sizes allow for personal attention. The average class size in New York is 13 students.
EF Academy New York Photo #8 - Our theater at EF Academy New York is home not only to our dramatic and musical productions but also serves as a venue for important events on campus such as Lunar New Year and assemblies featuring a Holocaust survivor, an Olympic Gold Medalist and a University a cappella group.
EF Academy New York Photo #9 - The EF Academy New York campus boasts several interscholastic sports teams including Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Girls Volleyball, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Golf, Track and Field, Cheerleading, and Cross Country.
- Surrounded by 100 acres of wooded grounds, EF Academy New York takes you to one of the most international cities in the world.
- Experience a modern, American-style education in an international high school with space and encouragement to study and reach your aspirations.
- Earn an internationally recognized degree, get personalized course planning and university preparation and engage in more than 120 learning enrichment and club activities per year.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- EF Academy New York Core requirements for full IB diploma and university preparation process are constantly supervised and reminded by teachers. Well-facilitated campus that creates a comfortable learning and living environment includes gym, lounges, studio dance, library and cafeteria. . .
- EF Academy New York EF Academy, in general, is a great boarding school. Here, I have friends from all over the world who come from more than 60 different countries. Our school has a great location. It is surrounded. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
EF Academy New York is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 318 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|EF Academy New York||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||100 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||650 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1200||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||60||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(upgrades to twin and single rooms also available)
(Day students welcome to join weekend activities)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jason M. Kirschner|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Katlin Freschi|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||n/a||18|
|Courses||IB Biology SL/HL, IB Business and Management SL/HL, IB Chemistry SL/HL, IB Chinese A Literature SL/HL, IB Computer Science SL, IB Core: CAS, EE & TOK, IB Economics SL/HL, IB English A: Language and Literature SL/HL, IB English A: Literature SL/HL, IB English B SL/HL, IB Environmental Systems and Societies SL, IB French ab Initio SL, IB French B SL/HL, IB Further Mathematics HL, IB Geography SL, IB German A: Literature SL/HL, IB German ab Initio SL, IB History SL/HL, IB Korean A: Literature SL/HL, IB Mandarin ab Initio SL, IB Mathematical Studies SL, IB Mathematics SL/HL, IB Music SL/HL, IB Norwegian A: Literature SL/HL, IB Physics SL/HL, IB Portuguese A: Literature SL/HL, IB Psychology SL, IB Russian A: Literature SL/HL, IB Self-taught A Literature SL, IB Spanish A: Literature SL/HL, IB Spanish ab Initio SL, IB Spanish B SL/HL, IB Sports, Health & Exercise SL, IB Thai A: Literature SL/HL, IB Theatre SL/HL, IB Vietnamese A: Literature SL/HL, IB Visual Arts SL/HL|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||51||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
AI Club, Anime Club, Chess & GO Club, Chinese Language and Culture, Christian Club, Code Club, Cooking Club, Culture and Language Exchange Club, Culture Fair Club, D.E.A.R. Club, Dance Club, DECA Leaders and Entrepreneurs Club, DJ Club, Drama Club, E-Mart Club, E-sports Club, EF Talks Club, EFTV Club, Environmental Leadership Club, Finance Club, Girls Who Code Club, Habitudes - Habits and Attitudes of Leadership, Hands to Paw Club, Language A Club, Literary Magazine, Lunar New Year Club, Magic Circle Club, Math Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Outdoor Leadership, Paint the School Club, PC Builds Club, Peer Tutoring Club, Philanthropy Club, Pride Not Prejudice Club, Recycling Club, Robotics Club, RPG D&D Club, SAT Prep Club, Social Media Marketing Agency Club, Spirit Club, TedX Club, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Advanced Art Portfolio Club, Art Club, Learn to Play Guitar Club, Rock Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian Club, Mindful Yogis Club, Tennis Club
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Lights, labs, studios and trails
- A four-year high school experience at EF Academy New York includes, IGCSE, US High School Diploma and IB Diploma classes where you will engage in lessons and interact with your classmates in inspiring, spacious classrooms. Theater students step into the spotlight in our beautiful auditorium where full-length plays are staged annually. Science labs equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and welcoming art studios not only enrich your classes, they also host science and art clubs after school and are available for you to use for independent study. Complete your school day with a bit of physical activity in our fully equipped gym, dance studio or basketball courts, or get some fresh air by going on a walk or run around over two kilometers of off-road trails on campus.
- EF Academy New York is tucked in the quiet suburban town of Thornwood and it is characterized by the many pathways, trails and woodland that surround its academic and residence buildings. Just down the hill from the school is Rose Hill Shopping Center, a small plaza with restaurants and shops. New York City and the famous island of Manhattan are 45 minutes away. Here you will have plenty of opportunities to make the US`s most cultural city your classroom - class trips to museums, plays and New York`s neighborhoods promote experiential learning, which will allow you to truly immerse yourself in the subject material you are studying and deepen your knowledge.
- At EF Academy New York, you will have over 50 clubs and 10 varsity sports to choose from, plus opportunities to create your own. There will always be something taking place on campus, but some activities will take you beyond our school for an exciting adventure. Activities take place after school and on the weekends and range from organized trips to Manhattan and academic competitions, to basketball league championships and Model UN conferences.
- Our campus has three residence buildings with a variety of quiet study areas and student lounges on each floor. A key part of the boarding experience is learning how to develop independence, time management and collaboration skills by living with peers on campus. Students live with roommates from different countries which encourages cultural exchange. Resident Advisors live in the residences alongside students and provide 24/7 support and supervision. In addition to evening study hall and tutoring, the Residential and Community Life team incorporates regular activities to foster a strong feeling of community. Our global communications network so there will always be someone parents can get in touch with, on campus or in their home country.
- The New York area is host to dozens of the most respected universities in the US, whether that's NYU in famed Greenwich Village or Ivy League Columbia University. Many students take pre-college courses at these universities during the school year. Our school in Thornwood is an ideal setting in which to prepare for university enrollment in New York State, on the East Coast of the US and internationally. During the school year, representatives from 150 universities visit our campus to speak with our students.
- EF Academy New York accreditations: International Baccalaureate, Cambridge International, New York State Education Department, National Association of Independent Schools, New York State Association of Independent Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for EF Academy New York
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 174 students 2477.3 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
- Grades: 7-12| 94 students 2218.3 miles9790 Thayer Street
Houghton, NY 14744
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.