EF Academy New York
EF Academy New York Photo #2 - South Hall is our brand new dorm for our 9th and 10th graders. It opened September 2016 and features spacious triple rooms, social lounges and a kitchen.
EF Academy New York Photo #4 - There are many spaces to lounge and socialize around campus. We have plenty of natural light and comfy chairs.
EF Academy New York Photo #5 - Twin room (upgrade available for students in grades 11 and 12) Room also available as a single.
EF Academy New York Photo #6 - Our small class sizes allow for personal attention. The average class size is 17 students
EF Academy New York Photo #7 - Our state-of-the-art science labs engage students in the STEM fields along with STEM clubs that include computer coding, 3D design and print club, Engineering club, web and app design club, electronics club and archaeology club. Our strongest science students apply to the Columbia University Science Honors Program which they participate in on Saturdays.
EF Academy New York Photo #8 - Our theater is home not only to our dramatic and musical productions, but also serves as the venue for important events on campus such as Lunar New Year and assemblies featuring a Holocaust survivor, an Olympic Gold Medalist and a University a cappella group
EF Academy New York Photo #9 - The EF Academy Storm boasts several interscholastic sports teams including: Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Girls Volleyball, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Golf, Cross Country, Track and Field, Cheerleading
- Surrounded by 100 acres of landscaped grounds, EF Academy New York offers students a vast variety of academic activities to take part in and plenty of space for them to pursue their passions.
- Experience and American high school education in an international setting that will inspire, transform and empower you.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|EF Academy New York||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||100 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||800 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1200||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||17 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||60||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$5,900|
(Summer program at EF Academy is specifically for international students who need prep on either SAT, ACT, TOEFL or pre-IB)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(upgrades to twin and single rooms also available)
(Day students welcome to join weekend activities)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jason M. Kirschner|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Danielle Schwartz|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||n/a||17|
|Courses||IB Biology SL/HL, IB Business and Management SL/HL, IB Chemistry SL/HL, IB Chinese A Literature SL/HL, IB Computer Science SL, IB Core: CAS, EE & TOK, IB Economics SL/HL, IB English A: Language and Literature SL/HL, IB English A: Literature SL/HL, IB English B SL/HL, IB Environmental Systems and Societies SL, IB French ab Initio SL, IB French B SL/HL, IB Further Mathematics HL, IB Geography SL, IB German A: Literature SL/HL, IB German ab Initio SL, IB History SL/HL, IB Korean A: Literature SL/HL, IB Mandarin ab Initio SL, IB Mathematical Studies SL, IB Mathematics SL/HL, IB Music SL/HL, IB Norwegian A: Literature SL/HL, IB Physics SL/HL, IB Portuguese A: Literature SL/HL, IB Psychology SL, IB Russian A: Literature SL/HL, IB Self-taught A Literature SL, IB Spanish A: Literature SL/HL, IB Spanish ab Initio SL, IB Spanish B SL/HL, IB Sports, Health & Exercise SL, IB Thai A: Literature SL/HL, IB Theatre SL/HL, IB Vietnamese A: Literature SL/HL, IB Visual Arts SL/HL|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||40||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
3D Design and Print, Archaeology Club, Art Club, Art Portfolio Prep Club, Chess Club, Coding Club, Comedy Improv Club, Community Service Club, Creative Writing Club, Culture and Language Exchange, Drama Club, Electronics Club, Film Lovers Club, Gardening Club, Gay Straight Alliance, Glee Club, Healthy Living Club, Literary Magazine, Lunar New Year Club, Math Club, Mind and Body Club, Model United Nations, National Honors Society, Orchestra/Music Ensembles, Outdoor Leadership Club, Photography Club, Physics Club, Psychology Tutoring and Peer Tutoring Club, Puzzle Game Club, Rockband, Soap Club, Social Media Club, STEAM (Engineering) Club, Stock Market Club, Student Council, Watercoloring, Web and App Design, Yoga Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian Club, Girls Workout Clu
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Easy access to nature and the city
- EF Academy New York is tucked in the quiet suburban town of Thornwood and it is characterized by the many pathways, trails and woodland that surround its academic and residence buildings. Just down the hill from the school is Rose Hill Shopping Center, a small plaza with restaurants and shops. New York City and the famous island of Manhattan are less than an half hour away. Here you will have plenty of opportunities to make America's most cultural city your classroom- class trips to museums, plays and Wall Street promote experienced-based learning, which will allow you to truly immerse yourself in the subject material you are studying.
- A four-year high school experience at EF Academy New York includes, IGCSE, US high school diploma and IB classes where you will engage in lessons and interact with your classmates in inspiring, spacious classrooms. Theater students step into the spotlight in our beautiful auditorium where full-length plays are staged annually. Science labs equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and welcoming art studios not only enrich your classes, they also host science and art clubs after school and are available for you to use for independent study. Complete your school day with a bit of physical activity in our fully-equipped gym, dance studio or basketball courts, or get some fresh air by going on a walk, run or bike ride around eight kilometers of off-road trails on campus using one of the school's own mountain bikes.
- At EF Academy New York, you will have over 40 clubs and seven varsity sports to choose from, plus opportunities to create your own. There will always be something taking place on campus, but some activities will take you beyond our school for an exciting adventure. Activities take place after school and on the weekends and range from organized trips to Manhattan and academic competitions, to basketball league championships and Model UN conferences.
- The New York Area is host to dozens of America`s most respected universities, whether that's NYU in famed Greenwich Village or Ivy League Columbia University. Many students take pre-college courses at these universities during the school year. Our school in Thornwood is an ideal setting in which to prepare for university enrollment in New York State, Philadelphia, Boston or anywhere else on the East Coast of the US and beyond. During the school year, representatives from 150 universities visit our campus to speak with our students.
- EF Academy New York accreditations: International Baccalaureate, Cambridge International, New York State
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for EF Academy New York
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 180 students 24.9 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 157 students 33.5 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
- Grades: 7-12| 101 students 243.6 miles9790 Thayer Street
Houghton, NY 14744
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.