Hoosac School rests on 350 rolling acres in the Northern Berkshires in New York. Hoosac believes that the individual student is the centerpiece of their education. We structure our academic programs to suit the strengths and passions of each student, helping them to reach their full potential.
Girls Soccer Wins! Hoosac offers many sports and activities for our students to experience. Our new state of the art fitness center allows students to stay 'Hoosac Fit' throughout the year.
Backyard Fun! Hoosac offers many wholesome activities for our students to experience. Apple picking in the fall, Skiing and Snowboarding in Winter and white water rafting are just a few of the activities that students regularly take part in each year.
Hoosac Hockey won the New England Championship in 2007. Our team has great history at Hoosac and we play several tournaments each year, like this one at RPI.
Hoosac prides itself on diversity in all aspects of school life. This year 9 different countries and 11 different states are represented in our student body. As well as a diverse American cultures.
- Hoosac School, founded in 1889, is a coeducational, college preparatory school enrolling boarders and day students in Forms II-VI (Grades 8-12) and a PG program.
- Hoosick, an historic town of 3500 residents, is in the Hudson Valley near the borders of New York, Massachusetts, and Vermont.
- We are approximately 2 1/2 hours from New York City and easily accessible by Amtrak Train or Albany Int'l Airport.
- We pride ourselves in energizing the "passion" in a student whether it be Academic, the Arts or Athletics and helping them to reach their fullest potential.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Hoosac School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||350 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||125 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1650||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1350 - 1950||-|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Casual Wednesdays & Saturdays)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1.5 million||$17 million|
(ESL and SUCCESS are Additional Tuition)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,000|
(Need Based and Merit Scholarship )
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70%||-|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Ryan Grant|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, English Literature and Composition, Latin, Modern European History, Physics, Psychology, Statistics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Orienteering, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||23|
|Extracurriculars||Boars Head & Yule Log Pageant|
Club or Organization:
Astronomy Club, Literary Magazine, Mozaic, Owlet, Theater Dance & Music
Arts and Music Programs:
Car Club, Choir, Fishing Club, Shakespeare Contest, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Hoosac is a caring community that prides itself on focusing on the individual. While we are a rigorous academic school, our mastery teaching approch provides students with personal contact with faculty to better prepare them for the rigor of college. At Hoosac, we believe that every student has a passion. Our mission is to develop that passion and provide the structure and tools so that every student may realize thier fullest potential going into college. Through Academics, the Arts, Athletics and Residential Life a Hoosac student becomes well rounded and confident that they will succeed at whatever they endeavor to become.
- LD types supported: ADD/ADHD/LD
- School accreditations: Middle States, New York State Association of Independent Schools
- Submit Review for Hoosac School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 180 students 105.3 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 146 students 134.7 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.