Hoosac School Photo #2 - Hoosac School rests on 350 rolling acres in the Northern Berkshires in New York. Hoosac believes that the individual student is the centerpiece of their education. We structure our academic programs to suit the strengths and passions of each student, helping them to reach their full potential.
Hoosac School Photo #3 - The Boar's Head & Yule Log Pageant at Hoosac School! It is the longest running of its kind in the United States (1891).
Hoosac School Photo #4 - NEPSAC champions! Boys varsity lacrosse has competed in the NEPSAC championship three years straight.
Hoosac School Photo #5 - Back-To-Back HOLT Conference Champions! Hoosac School's boys varsity ice hockey teams has one of the most competitive schedules in all of NEPSAC.
Hoosac School Photo #6 - Memorial Hall after a Winter storm, where students gather for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily.
Hoosac School Photo #7 - Hoosac School has matriculated graduates to universities like Cornell, Dartmouth, Columbia and NYU.
Hoosac School Photo #8 - AAA basketball at Hoosac! 4 of our 5 starters went on to play Division 1 last season!
Hoosac School Photo #9 - Girls varsity ice hockey at Hoosac matriculated all seven seniors into college hockey programs. Bill Ward is on his fourth season as Head Coach.
- Hoosac School was founded in Hoosick, New York in 1889. For over 130 years Hoosac has been enrolling boarders and day students in Forms II-VI (Grades 8-12) and our postgraduate program.
- As a coeducational, college preparatory school, Hoosac celebrates each student's individuality in all aspects of their educational life.
- Since 1889, Hoosac has maintained and upheld Dr. Tibbits core beliefs about a well-rounded boarding school experience: to educate the whole student, academically, athletically, socially as well as spiritually.
- It is Hoosac's mission to develop enthusiastic learners with creative minds and strong moral compasses who are ready to handle college and life with intelligence and grace.
- Hoosac is committed to sustaining the small scale preparatory school model in which each student receives an individualized education with attention, care and guidance and is offered the opportunity to grow socially within the Hoosac School community.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Hoosac School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||350 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||194 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1300||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Business Casual Wednesdays & Saturdays)
|Average Class Size||7 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$10,000|
|Endowment Size||$1.5 million||$22 million|
(ELL is Free while SUCCESS is an Additional Cost)
|Tuition international students||$62,000||$53,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,000|
(Need Based and Merit Scholarship )
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Ryan Grant|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||18|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, English Literature and Composition, Latin, Modern European History, Physics, Psychology, Statistics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||24|
|Extracurriculars||Biblical Theology Study Group|
Club or Organization:
Astronomy Club, Improv Club, Linear Algebra, Literary Magazine, Mozaic, Owlet, Theater Dance & Music
Arts and Music Programs:
Car Club, Choir, Fishing Club, Freestyle Friday, Shakespeare Contest, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Hoosac is a caring community that prides itself on focusing on the individual. While we are a rigorous academic school, our mastery teaching approch provides students with personal contact with faculty to better prepare them for the rigor of college. At Hoosac, we believe that every student has a passion. Our mission is to develop that passion and provide the structure and tools so that every student may realize thier fullest potential going into college. Through Academics, the Arts, Athletics and Residential Life a Hoosac student becomes well rounded and confident that they will succeed at whatever they endeavor to become.
- LD types supported: ADD/ADHD/LD
- Hoosac School accreditations: Middle States, New York State Association of Independent Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Burgess Meredith '26 - Starred as the trainer in the "Rocky" movies as well as the Penguin in "Batman".
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Hoosac School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 163 students 134.7 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
(631) 686-1600134.76-12, PG163
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?