Hoosac School Photo #2 - Hoosac School rests on 350 rolling acres in the Northern Berkshires in New York. Hoosac believes that the individual student is the centerpiece of their education. We structure our academic programs to suit the strengths and passions of each student, helping them to reach their full potential.
Hoosac School Photo #3 - The Boar's Head & Yule Log Pageant at Hoosac School! It is the longest running of its kind in the United States (1891).
Hoosac School Photo #4 - NEPSAC champions! Boys varsity lacrosse has competed in the NEPSAC championship three years straight.
Hoosac School Photo #5 - Back-To-Back HOLT Conference Champions! Hoosac School's boys varsity ice hockey teams has one of the most competitive schedules in all of NEPSAC.
Hoosac School Photo #6 - Memorial Hall after a Winter storm, where students gather for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily.
Hoosac School Photo #7 - Hoosac School has matriculated graduates to universities like Cornell, Dartmouth, Columbia and NYU.
Hoosac School Photo #8 - AAA basketball at Hoosac! 4 of our 5 starters went on to play Division 1 last season!
Hoosac School Photo #9 - Girls varsity ice hockey at Hoosac matriculated all seven seniors into college hockey programs. Bill Ward is on his fourth season as Head Coach.
- Hoosac School was founded in Hoosick, New York in 1889. For over 130 years Hoosac has been enrolling boarders and day students in Forms II-VI (Grades 8-12) and our postgraduate program.
- As a coeducational, college preparatory school, Hoosac celebrates each student's individuality in all aspects of their educational life.
- Since 1889, Hoosac has maintained and upheld Dr. Tibbits core beliefs about a well-rounded boarding school experience: to educate the whole student, academically, athletically, socially as well as spiritually.
- It is Hoosac's mission to develop enthusiastic learners with creative minds and strong moral compasses who are ready to handle college and life with intelligence and grace.
- Hoosac is committed to sustaining the small scale preparatory school model in which each student receives an individualized education with attention, care and guidance and is offered the opportunity to grow socially within the Hoosac School community.
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Hoosac School is listed among the top 10 schools with < 200 students (out of 94 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Hoosac School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||350 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||194 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1300||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Business Casual Wednesdays & Saturdays)
|Average Class Size||7 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$10,000|
|Endowment Size||$1.5 million||$20 million|
(ELL is Free while SUCCESS is an Additional Cost)
|Tuition international students||$62,000||$51,800|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,000|
(Need Based and Merit Scholarship )
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Ryan Grant|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||18|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, English Literature and Composition, Latin, Modern European History, Physics, Psychology, Statistics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||24|
|Extracurriculars||Biblical Theology Study Group|
Club or Organization:
Astronomy Club, Improv Club, Linear Algebra, Literary Magazine, Mozaic, Owlet, Theater Dance & Music
Arts and Music Programs:
Car Club, Choir, Fishing Club, Freestyle Friday, Shakespeare Contest, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Hoosac is a caring community that prides itself on focusing on the individual. While we are a rigorous academic school, our mastery teaching approch provides students with personal contact with faculty to better prepare them for the rigor of college. At Hoosac, we believe that every student has a passion. Our mission is to develop that passion and provide the structure and tools so that every student may realize thier fullest potential going into college. Through Academics, the Arts, Athletics and Residential Life a Hoosac student becomes well rounded and confident that they will succeed at whatever they endeavor to become.
- LD types supported: ADD/ADHD/LD
- Hoosac School accreditations: Middle States, New York State Association of Independent Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Burgess Meredith '26 - Starred as the trainer in the "Rocky" movies as well as the Penguin in "Batman".
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Hoosac School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 163 students 134.7 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.