Buxton School Photo #2 - We believe that art plays a central role in every healthy community, and that everyone`s life is improved by exploring their creative potential. Together, sometimes as artists and sometimes alongside artists, we share art`s power to inspire and the belief that art is for everyone.
Buxton School Photo #3 - There are many different levels of sports activity at Buxton: organized team sports, such as soccer and basketball; intramural sports like Frisbee and softball; and recreational activities such as mountain biking, snowboarding, and skiing. And then, of course, there are always pick-up games of four square, basketball, and soccer.
Buxton School Photo #4 - Each spring, Buxton`s entire faculty and student body travel to a different location to study the real-world issues facing society. We do that knowing that Buxton students and alumni will do more than their part to lead their communities to solutions, as they always have.
Buxton School Photo #5 - Buxton School is located on 150 acres of lush country landscape. Williamstown is a beautiful, safe New England town rich with culture and with the attractions and resources of a big city.
Buxton School Photo #6 - Sustainability on campus has been an important element of the biology curriculum for the past several years. Each year, the garden expands in area and more vegetables and varieties are planted. In the fall, the garden supplies the kitchen with some home-grown ingredients, and the bounty is presented in a harvest dinner for the school community.
Buxton School Photo #7 - The student-and-faculty-run work program is at the center of the Buxton work experience. Twice a week, the school forms into crews that take on a variety of valuable tasks to maintain the school. Buxton students take pride in the fact that they care for the school themselves. Fundamental to a Buxton education is the belief that you learn by doing.
Buxton is an intentionally small, coeducational, boarding and day school, situated on a historic family estate in Williamstown, Massachusetts, amid the beauty of the Berkshire Mountains.
Founded over 80 years ago as a progressive school, we believe a student`s whole experience here is part of their education and what goes on outside the classroom is just as important as what goes on inside.
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 90 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $62,000
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $38,000
- Average class size: 9 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Definition of Terms | 2023 School Data
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
% Students of Color
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
Tuition international students
(5 Day Boarding)
(5 Day Boarding)
% Students on Financial Aid
Avg. Financial Aid Grant
Merit Scholarships Offered
Feb. 1 / rolling
Accepts Standardized Application
Director of Admissions
Total Extracurricular Organizations
- Buxton is an intentionally small, coeducational, boarding and day school, situated on a historic family estate in Williamstown, Massachusetts, amid the beauty of the Berkshire mountains. Founded over 90 years ago as a progressive school, we believe a student`s whole experience here is part of their education and what goes on outside the classroom is just as important as what goes on inside.
- Students are nurtured and challenged intellectually, artistically, emotionally and morally. We accomplish this through rigorous academics, a varied and active arts program, a caring faculty and a community of people who all work to create a growth-promoting, meaningful experience for students.
- At Buxton we not only believe in community, we live it, day in and day out. Family-style meals, wake-up or bed-check, Friday night recreation, raking leaves together, or going to the local coffeehouse to chat help us create a compelling community of learners, workers, thinkers and artists. Buxton thrives on a fusion of races, religions, socio-economic backgrounds, personalities and talents. Our intimate, diverse culture helps students form meaningful relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds. The differences we bring to Buxton serve to enrich all that we experience at school and in the larger world. Our outstanding college admission record is not an end in itself but rather a natural outcome of the demanding academics and varied life we live at Buxton.
- Buxton School accreditations: NAIS, NEASC, MA DEPT. OF ED.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Peter Shumlin - Governor of Vermont
- Christian Parenti - Journalist and writer
- Philip Rickey - Sculptor
- Justin Theroux - Actor
- Frank Wood - Actor
- Marco Williams - Documentary Film Maker
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Buxton School cost?
Buxton School's tuition is approximately $62,000 for boarding students and $38,000 for day students.
Who are famous alumni from Buxton School?
Buxton School famous alumni include: Peter Shumlin, Christian Parenti, Philip Rickey, Justin Theroux, Frank Wood and Marco Williams.
What sports does Buxton School offer?
Buxton School offers 5 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Dance, Soccer and Ultimate Frisbee.
When is the application deadline for Buxton School?
The application deadline for Buxton School is Feb. 1 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 1 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Buxton School Alumni #1
Class of 1980
Class of 1980
The all school trip to a city in the U.S. or foreign country for a week to ten days during which students put on a play for the public and complete a project relevant to. . .
Buxton School Alumni #2
Class of 2007
Class of 2007
Buxton is a small and special school. They focus on the arts but are not technically an art school. It’s set on an old property and is very pretty. One of the special things, is. . .
Buxton School Alumni #3
Class of 2013
Univeristy to Lübeck
Class of 2013
Univeristy to Lübeck
For me, Buxton school felt like home away from home. I was a day student my first year, and was surprised at how quickly I realized that I wanted to board there. The feeling of. . .
Show more reviews (1 review)
Nurturing Futures: A Journey through Boarding at Haut-Lac School in Switzerland
Nestled in the hills overlooking Lake Geneva in the French-speaking part of Switzerland lies an educational gem that embodies a unique blend of academic excellence, cultural richness and a profound sense of community. Founded over 30 years ago, Haut-Lac International Bilingual Day and Boarding School is now home to both 600 day students and a maximum of 30 boarders from around the world.
What To Wear at Your Job Interview
Navigating job interviews can be stressful, but knowing what to wear shouldn't be. Our comprehensive guide covers the essential dress code tips for men and women interviewing at boarding schools. Make your first impression count with style and professionalism.
Navigating the Modern Maze: Emerging Challenges for Boarding Schools
Explore the pressing challenges facing boarding schools, from marketing difficulties and rising insurance costs to facility maintenance and recruitment of competent trustees and teachers. This article delves into these complex issues and proposes innovative strategies to overcome them.