Buxton School Photo #3 - There are many different levels of sports activity at Buxton: organized team sports, such as soccer and basketball; intramural sports like Frisbee and softball; and recreational activities such as mountain biking, snowboarding, and skiing. And then, of course, there are always pick-up games of four square, basketball, and soccer.
Buxton School Photo #4 - Buxton School is located on 150 acres of lush country landscape. Williamstown is a beautiful, safe New England town rich with culture, diversity, and big-city attractions.
Buxton School Photo #6 - Sustainability on campus has been an important element of the biology curriculum for the past several years. Each year, the garden expands in area and more vegetables and varieties are planted. In the fall, the garden supplies the kitchen with some home-grown ingredients, and the bounty is presented in a harvest dinner for the school community.
Buxton School Photo #7 - The student-and-faculty-run work program is at the center of the Buxton work experience. Twice a week, the school forms into crews that take on a variety of valuable tasks to maintain the school. Buxton students take pride in the fact that they care for the school themselves. Fundamental to a Buxton education is the belief that you learn by doing.
Buxton School Photo #9 - Twice a year, the Buxton community invites family members, friends, and alumni to the campus to experience the vitality and accomplishments of our arts programs. Right before Thanksgiving break and again in late May, we host a weekend of performances, visiting and sharing.
- "Buxton is an intentionally small, coeducational, boarding and day school, situated on a historic family estate in Williamstown, Massachusetts, amid the beauty of the Berkshire Mountains.
- Founded over 80 years ago as a progressive school, we believe a student`s whole experience here is part of his or her education what goes on outside the classroom is just as important as what goes on inside.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Wesleyan University The most defining aspect of Buxton, in my eyes, was work program. Work program was a time twice a week when students perform the basic maintenance work of the school: cleaning, gardening, raking, chopping the. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Buxton School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||120 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||90 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$3 million||$22 million|
|Tuition international students||$61,500||$53,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$29,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Torie Nichols|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Dance, Soccer, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||24|
|Extracurriculars||Academic Advisory Committee|
Club or Organization:
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics Club, Chamber, Chorus, Improv Club, National French Honor Society, National Latin Honor Society, Photography, Studio Arts, The Jazz Band, The McMurray Cultural Fund Series
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Biking Club, Cappies, Horseback Riding, Skiing, Snowboarding
- Buxton is an intentionally small, coeducational, boarding and day school, situated on a historic family estate in Williamstown, Massachusetts, amid the beauty of the Berkshire mountains. Founded over 90 years ago as a progressive school, we believe a student`s whole experience here is part of his or her education what goes on outside the classroom is just as important as what goes on inside.
- Students are nurtured and challenged intellectually, artistically, emotionally and morally. We accomplish this through rigorous academics, a varied and active arts program, a caring faculty and a community of people who all work to create a growth-promoting, meaningful experience for students.
- At Buxton we not only believe in community, we live it, day in and day out. Family-style meals, wake-up or bed-check, Friday night recreation, raking leaves together, or going to the local coffeehouse to chat help us create a compelling community of learners, workers, thinkers and artists. Buxton thrives on a fusion of races, religions, socio-economic backgrounds, personalities and talents. Our intimate, diverse culture helps students form meaningful relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds. The differences we bring to Buxton serve to enrich all that we experience at school and in the larger world. Our outstanding college admission record is not an end in itself but rather a natural outcome of the demanding academics and varied life we live at Buxton.
- Buxton School accreditations: NAIS, NEASC, MA DEPT. OF ED.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Peter Shumlin - Governor of Vermont
- Christian Parenti - Journalist and writer
- Philip Rickey - Sculptor
- Justin Theroux - Actor
- Frank Wood - Actor
- Marco Williams - Documentary Film Maker
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Buxton School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?