The Knox School
541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Saint James, NY 11780
Tel: (631) 686-1600 Ext. 414
The Knox School Photo #2 - The heartbeat of any great boarding and day school is the close and often lifelong friendships that students form with each other and with their teachers. At Knox, students begin their day together with their faculty in a community morning meeting. After a full day of classes, they join each other in a variety of athletics and activities.
The Knox School Photo #3 - The Knox School provides a "home by the shore" for all of our students. Each of the residential houses has one or more faculty members, many of whom live with their families. Our "house parents" serve in the best tradition of "In Loco Parentis," as they look after the academic and social/emotional development of each student.
The Knox School Photo #4 - Knox understands the value that STEM (Science, Technology, Mathematics, Engineering) disciplines provide to our future leaders. Recently renovated, our 650 sq. ft. STEM lab is fully equipped with 3-D printers, hand-built digital workstations, a touchscreen learning system, and complete array of tools and hardware. Students are exposed to hands-on, engaging classes including robotics, engineering, Computer Assisted Design, coding and more.
The Knox School Photo #5 - The Knox Athletic Department provides opportunities for student-athletes to reach their fullest potential with competitive athletic programs for boys and girls, including Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Equestrian and Crew. In recognition of our School`s mission, Knox Athletics emphasizes sportsmanship, responsibility, cooperation, teamwork and respect for others.
The Knox School Photo #6 - While all of our middle school students participate in an exploratory program in Studio Art, Ceramics, and Performing Arts, our Upper School students have the opportunity to explore diverse specialized offerings through dynamic courses led by practicing artists.
The Knox School Photo #7 - Here at Knox, we want to cultivate the talents of our young artists by providing them a stage and a classroom to rehearse, perform, and play. Our students have the opportunity to not only perform in plays, musicals, and concerts, but to take specialized classes in acting, music, stagecraft, playmaking, digital film, and more.
The Knox School Photo #8 - Founded in 1914, the Equestrian Program is Knox's oldest, continuous sports activity. The program is run from the Phebe T. Phillips Byrne '68 Equestrian Center, an historic, horseshoe-shaped structure featuring 25 stalls, a newly renovated outdoor ring with sprinklers, a covered track with sand and rubber footing, a turnout field and a full jump course.
The Knox School Photo #9 - Knox student-riders learn that any goal can be reached through cooperation with the highest qualified trainers, an exemplary work ethic and a growth mindset. There is no such thing as luck when you are a Knox Equestrian there is only commitment and dedication to practicing until you reach excellence, each and every time you ride or complete any task.
The Knox School Photo #10 - The Knox Crew Team has quietly developed into one of the most competitive teams in the country. In the last year, our athletes have broken six world records on the erg, sent ten boats to the State Championships with six finishing in the top three, two State Champions, and two boats placed in the Top 30 at Nationals.
- The Knox School is a nonsectarian, independent, coeducational day and boarding, college preparatory school that serves an average of 160 students in grades 6 through 12 plus Postgraduate.
- Signature academic programs, small class sizes and a personalized touch allow every student to be a part of something special.
- In a dynamic and diverse community that fosters personal and intellectual growth, Knox provides challenging and engaging programs in a nurturing learning environment, devoted to the care and attention to every student.
- A rich visual and performing arts program facilitated by master educators and professionals in their fields add another dynamic to the Knox experience, and competitive athletics produce Division I, II and III college-student-athletes.
- Embracing the Knox Core Values of Respect, Responsibility, Integrity, Courage, Kindness and Scholarship, the School encourages students to think critically and creatively while taking risks to develop their character and enter the next phase of their life`s journey with confidence.
- Virtual Event - Wed., December 02, 2020 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Fri., December 04, 2020 8:00am (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., December 08, 2020 8:00am (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., December 10, 2020 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., December 16, 2020 8:00am (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., December 17, 2020 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- ...read more
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Knox School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||40 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||163 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1220||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants or plaid kilt, dress shirt, blazer)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Tuition international students||$60,000||$53,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,900|
(need-based financial aid is available)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 30 / Jun. 30 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Caitlyn Adams-Davis|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History, ART 122, Electronic Illustration, English 101, English 102, Freshman Composition, Freshman Literature, PHY 101, PHY 130-132, PHY 230-232|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||16|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||21||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Crafting, Fashion Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Publications Club, Science Olympiad, Service Learning, Sports United / Student Athlete Leadership Team (SALT), STEM Club, Storytelling & Strategy, Student Council, World Cultures Club, Yearbook, Yoga and Meditation
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Dance, Fall Play, Jam Club for Musicians, Spring Musical
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Strength and Conditioning, Weight Training
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Family-oriented, supportive and tolerant, our students and staff work, play and live together, learn from their failures together and celebrate their successes together. Our small class sizes and nurturing environment allow every student to feel confident in his or her abilities and to be engaged, active participants in their learning.
- We are a waterfront property with a historic roundabout stable that is home to approximately 22 horses and a recently renovated state-of-the-art equestrian riding ring. Equestrian and Crew are just two of our premier elite sports programs on campus. Joining the premier ranks, Knox Basketball and Soccer programs offer highly competitive, championship-level play.
- Whether a student arrives at Knox with a background in athletics, or they showcase the courage to try a new sport, our athletic offerings afford our students with an opportunity to grow and flourish as a student-athlete. Additional athletic offerings include volleyball, cross country running, tennis, softball, and badminton.
- Knox cultivates an environment that values creative expression and personal growth through the arts. Our students have the opportunity to perform in plays, musicals, and concerts, and to showcase their artwork both within the campus community, local community and through digital means to be seen by a global audience.
- We are 10 minutes from the Long Island Railroad and only a 50-minute train ride to Manhattan.
- Students who attend The Knox School will have an experience akin to no other, will be prepared to survive and thrive in our global society and will make the type of memories that will keep them coming back to their Home Beside the Shore for the rest of their lives, no matter how far and wide their journeys take them.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- The Knox School accreditations: New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS), Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Knox School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Tips for athletes applying to boarding school.
This is a fictional interview with the head of a boarding school. After all, her concerns are probably yours as well.
We parents have a multi-faceted role to play in protecting our school-age children during th pandemic.