The Knox School
The Knox School Photo #2 - The heartbeat of any great boarding and day school is the close and often lifelong friendships that students form with each other and with their teachers. At Knox, students begin their day together with their faculty in a community morning meeting. After a full day of classes, they join each other in a variety of athletics and activities.
The Knox School Photo #3 - The Knox School provides a "home by the shore" for all of our students. Each of the residential houses has one or more faculty members, many of whom live with their families. Our "house parents" serve in the best tradition of "In Loco Parentis," as they look after the academic and social/emotional development of each student.
The Knox School Photo #4 - Knox understands the value that STEM (Science, Technology, Mathematics, and Engineering) disciplines provide to our future leaders.
The Knox School Photo #5 - Knox is a member of the Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) which allows us to be recognized and compete as a team sport. The IEA is also a source of scholarship opportunities for the equestrian athlete.
The Knox School Photo #6 - The Knox School Basketball Program is designed to prepare student-athletes for the next level on the court and in the classroom. These athletes will be challenged by playing the most competitive Prep basketball programs in the country. The students will gain exposure from these challenges and will receive top-flight academics that will help propel them to reach their goals.
The Knox School Photo #7 - Knox offers competitive athletic programs for boys and girls, including Prep Basketball, Equestrian, Crew, Volleyball, Soccer, Fencing, Softball, tennis and others.
The Knox School Photo #8 - While all of our middle school students participate in an exploratory program in Studio Art, Ceramics, and Performing Arts, our Upper School students have the opportunity to explore diverse specialized offerings through dynamic courses led by practicing artists.
The Knox School Photo #9 - The Knox School currently has three on-campus apiaries housing a strong colony of Italian-bred honeybees. Although keeping bees requires a significant amount of labor, the results of such hard work are extremely sweet!
- The Knox School is a nonsectarian, independent, multicultural, coeducational day and boarding, college preparatory school that serves an average of 140 students in grades 6 through 12 plus Postgraduate.Signature academic programs, small class sizes and a personalized touch allow every student to be a part of something special.Knox achieves 100% college placement and exceptional scholarships; its 2017 Graduating Class of 35 students was offered over $4.1 million in scholarship awards.In addition to challenging academics, Knox offers a well-established equestrian program, competitive athletic offerings, including crew and fencing and visual and performing arts, all on its beautiful and historic waterfront campus bordering Stony Brook Harbor.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Knox School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||4 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||146 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1641||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants, dress shirt, blazer)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
($50,350 for 5-Day; $57,450 7-Day)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$26,430|
(need-based financial aid is available)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / Jun. 30 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kristen Tillona-Baker|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Physics: Electricity and Magnetism, AP Physics: Mechanics, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. Government and Politics, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Kayaking, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||24|
|Extracurriculars||National Honor Society|
Club or Organization:
Beekeeping Society, Business & Finance Club, Civil Rights Alliance, Community Service Club, Fashion Club, Future Medical Leaders of America, Knox Ambassadors, Sign Language Club, Student Council, UNICEF USA, World Cultures Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Literary Magazine, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equine Welfare: We Speak for Them
- Be Among Friends from Around the Globe
- Be Challenged by Signature Academics
- Exceptional College Placements and Scholarships
- Small Classes Taught by Teachers Who Inspire
- 5 and 7 Day Boarding Options
- Competitive Athletic Offerings Visual and Performing Arts Programs
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- The Knox School accreditations: Middle States Association
- Submit Review for The Knox School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 180 students 55.5 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
September 17, 2018
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 28, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.