The Knox School
The Knox School Photo #2 - The heartbeat of any great boarding and day school is the close and often lifelong friendships that students form with each other and with their teachers. At Knox, students begin their day together with their faculty in a community morning meeting. After a full day of classes, they join each other in a variety of athletics and activities.
The Knox School Photo #3 - The Knox School provides a "home by the shore" for all of our students. Each of the residential houses has one or more faculty members, many of whom live with their families. Our "house parents" serve in the best tradition of "In Loco Parentis," as they look after the academic and social/emotional development of each student.
The Knox School Photo #4 - Knox understands the value that STEM (Science, Technology, Mathematics, and Engineering) disciplines provide to our future leaders.
The Knox School Photo #5 - Knox is a member of the Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) which allows us to be recognized and compete as a team sport. The IEA is also a source of scholarship opportunities for the equestrian athlete.
The Knox School Photo #6 - The Knox School Basketball Program is designed to prepare student-athletes for the next level on the court and in the classroom. These athletes will be challenged by playing the most competitive Prep basketball programs in the country. The students will gain exposure from these challenges and will receive top-flight academics that will help propel them to reach their goals.
The Knox School Photo #7 - Knox offers competitive athletic programs for boys and girls, including Prep Basketball, Equestrian, Crew, Volleyball, Soccer, Fencing, Softball, tennis and others.
The Knox School Photo #8 - While all of our middle school students participate in an exploratory program in Studio Art, Ceramics, and Performing Arts, our Upper School students have the opportunity to explore diverse specialized offerings through dynamic courses led by practicing artists.
The Knox School Photo #9 - The Knox School currently has three on-campus apiaries housing a strong colony of Italian-bred honeybees. Although keeping bees requires a significant amount of labor, the results of such hard work are extremely sweet!
- The Knox School is a nonsectarian, independent, coeducational day and boarding, college preparatory school that serves an average of 160 students in grades 6 through 12 plus Postgraduate.
- Signature academic programs, small class sizes and a personalized touch allow every student to be a part of something special.
- In a dynamic and diverse community that fosters personal and intellectual growth, Knox provides challenging and engaging programs in a nurturing learning environment, devoted to the care and attention to every student.
- A rich visual and performing arts program facilitated by master educators and professionals in their fields add another dynamic to the Knox experience, and competitive athletics produce Division I, II and III college-student-athletes.
- Embracing the Knox Core Values of Respect, Responsibility, Integrity, Courage, Kindness and Scholarship, the School encourages students to think critically and creatively while taking risks to develop their character and enter the next phase of their life`s journey with confidence.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Knox School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||40 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||174 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1180||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants, dress shirt, blazer)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
($50,350 - $57,450 for International Students)
|Tuition international students||$57,450||$49,150|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$26,430|
(need-based financial aid is available)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / Jun. 30 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kristen Tillona-Baker|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Physics: Electricity and Magnetism, AP Physics: Mechanics, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. Government and Politics, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountaineering, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Business & Finance Club, Civil Rights Alliance, Cultural Exchange, DECA, Fashion Club, Future Medical Leaders of America, Knox Ambassadors, Math Tutors, Model United Nations, Science Olympiads, Service Learning, Student Council, UNICEF USA, World Cultures Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Literary Magazine, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equine Welfare: We Speak for Them
- Family-oriented, supportive and tolerant, our students and staff work, play and live together, learn from their failures together and celebrate their successes together. Our small class sizes and nurturing environment allow every student to feel confident in his or her abilities and to be engaged, active participants in their learning. We are a waterfront property with a historic roundabout stable that is home to approximately 22 horses. Equestrian, Crew, Prep Basketball and Fencing are just a few of our niche sports programs. We are 10 minutes from the Long Island Railroad and only a 50-minute train ride to Manhattan. Students who attend The Knox School will have an experience akin to no other, will be prepared to survive and thrive in our global society and will make the type of memories that will keep them coming back to their Home Beside the Shore for the rest of their lives, no matter how far and wide their journeys take them.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- The Knox School accreditations: Middle States Association
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Knox School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 195 students 55.5 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.