The Knox School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (631) 686-1600 Ext. 414
541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Saint James, NY 11780
The Knox School Photo #2 - At Knox, every student's potential is unlocked and maximized. We offer the highest levels of academic, artistic and athletic programming including Advanced Placement classes and dual-enrollment courses for college credit. Many Knox educators are also college professors, which guarantees that our students receive the highest levels of instruction and expertise.
The Knox School Photo #3 - Knox students are well-cared for in our supportive environment where everyone is family. Our dedicated educators know students beyond the walls of the classroom, and serve as dorm parents, advisors, coaches, and mentors.
The Knox School Photo #4 - Small class sizes allow students to receive the individual attention they deserve when investing in a private school education. Our state-of-the-art STEM lab is a gathering place for students to explore technology, computer science, and engineering.
The Knox School Photo #5 - Knox student-artists explore diverse offerings in photography, media art, studio art and ceramics with experienced faculty who are also practicing artists. Student artwork is proudly displayed in our on-campus art gallery and throughout the local community.
The Knox School Photo #6 - Knox student-performers develop their talents in the classroom with specialized classes in acting, music, and stagecraft - and then put those skills to work on stage with opportunities to perform in plays, musicals, concerts, and performing arts showcases throughout the year.
The Knox School Photo #7 - Athletics are part of students' daily routines to promote both physical and mental health after an intense day of coursework. Knox Athletics emphasizes sportsmanship, responsibility, cooperation, teamwork, and respect for others.
The Knox School Photo #8 - One of four elite sports programs on campus, the Knox crew team holds multiple world records and is home to Long Island's Coach of the Year. Knox's crew program offers year-round rowing opportunities with a fully equipped indoor erg center and waterfront boat launch.
The Knox School Photo #9 - Founded in 1914, the Equestrian Program is Knox's oldest, continuous sports activity. Today, the varsity equestrian team has been earning high accolades competing on the national circuit. The Knox equestrian center features an historic, horseshoe-shaped structure with 25 stalls, an outdoor ring with sprinklers, a covered track with sand and rubber footing, a turnout field and a full jump course.
The Knox School Photo #10 - At Knox, every student is inspired to go higher. Students and staff work together to build character and become responsible, global citizens. Our school community lives daily by the core values of Respect, Responsibility, Integrity, Courage, Kindness and Scholarship, and our graduates bring these values with them after high school, ready for every challenge that lies ahead.
Founded in 1904, The Knox School is Long Island`s oldest established private school, offering a college preparatory experience for boarding and day students.
Students gain the confidence to take risks, embrace opportunity, and assume leadership roles in preparation for success after high school.
A Knox education combines superior academics with boundless experiences in interest-driven club activities, hands-on service learning, multidisciplinary opportunities in the Arts, and a nationally-competitive Athletics program to help students unlock and maximize their potential.
- Virtual Event - Tue., January 11, 2022 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., January 12, 2022 2:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., January 13, 2022 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., January 18, 2022 9:30am (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., January 18, 2022 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., January 20, 2022 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., January 25, 2022 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., January 26, 2022 2:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., January 27, 2022 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., February 02, 2022 2:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., February 07, 2022 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., February 08, 2022 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., February 09, 2022 8:00am (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., February 09, 2022 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., February 10, 2022 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Fri., February 11, 2022 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., February 12, 2022 - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., February 21, 2022 2:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., February 22, 2022 7:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- ...read more
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Fordham University There is an amazing family atmosphere at Knox that is unlike any other school I attended. I highly recommend the school for any parent looking for a boarding school because your child will be cared. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|The Knox School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||5-12|
|Campus Size||40 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||127 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1220||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(blazer, dress shirt, and Khaki pants or plaid kilt)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 18
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$60,000||$54,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$23,290||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / Dec. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Caitlyn Adams-Davis|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP U.S. History, ART 122 Electronic Illustration, ART 145 Digital Photography I, EGL 192 Introduction to Fiction, ENG 101 Standard Freshman Composition, ENG 102 Literature and Composition, PHY 101 College Physics I, PHY 102 College Physics II|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||12||16|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Fencing, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||22||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Amnesty International Club, English Honor Society, Fitness Club, GSA, History Honor Society, Math Honor Society, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society, Publications Club, Science Olympiad, Service Learning, STEM Club, Student Council, The Arts Club, Women's Student Union, Yearbook, Yoga and Meditation
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Fall Play, Spring Musical
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Strength and Conditioning, Weight Training
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1904, The Knox School is Long Island's oldest established private school. Knox is a progressive, co-ed, independent college preparatory boarding and day school located on 40 acres of serene waterfront property along the North Shore of Long Island, New York. Just minutes from Manhattan, our small yet diverse study body represents more than 15 countries and attracts students from local Long Island communities, the tri-state area, and across the U.S. Our inclusive environment serves grades 6-12 and Post-Graduate. We offer the highest levels of academic, artistic, and athletic programming including Advanced Placement classes and dual-enrollment courses for college credit. Many Knox educators are also college professors, which guarantees that our students receive the highest levels of instruction and expertise. Beyond academics, arts and athletics, students and staff work together to build character and become responsible, global citizens. Our school community lives daily by the Core Values of respect, responsibility, integrity, courage, kindness, and scholarship, and our graduates bring these values with them when they leave the gates of our campus after high school, ready for every challenge that lies ahead.
- The Knox School accreditations: New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS), Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Millie Chan - Product Designer, Business Owner and CEO
- Dr. Matthew Rosen - Physicist
- Miles Chamley-Watson - U.S. Olympian in Fencing (2012, 2016); 3-time First Team All-American
- Dr. Benjamin Cilento - Plastic & Reconstructed Surgeon
- Michael Schenker - Television Producer
- Phebe T. Phillips Byrne - Equestrian; winner National Horse of the Year 1990
- Tim Eriksen - Ethnomusicologist, Singer, Songwriter
- Lisa Gay Hamilton - Broadway, Film & TV Actor
- Chris Strompolos - Film Producer
- Jim Liu - US Junior Golf Champion 2010
Profile last updated: 11/19/2021
- Submit Review for The Knox School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
After months of research, school visits, interviews, and tests, you find out that you've been waitlisted. Relax. It's not the end of the world. Here's what to do.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.