The Stony Brook School
5.00 (6 reviews)
1 Chapman Parkway
Stony Brook, NY 11790
Stony Brook, NY 11790
The Stony Brook School Photo #3 - The Stony Brook School is committed in its mission to "challenge young men and women to know Jesus Christ." Students attend chapel services twice per week throughout the academic year. They hear from guest speakers, Stony Brook faculty, and their peers on a wide range of topics. In addition, students may attend optional events, like our student-led youth group "Driven."
The Stony Brook School Photo #4 - In March 2015, we had the grand unveiling of our state-of-the-art S.T.E.M. lab. Our flagship program, Engineering Innovation and Design (EID) challenges students to encompass building, engineering, and programming skills along with their ability to design and print 3D models to find creative and possible solutions to a variety of problems given the resources available.
The Stony Brook School Photo #6 - The Stony Brook School is one of the most diverse boarding schools in the country. With students representing 24 countries and multiple states, our community is a snapshot a global community. Pictured above is our International Festival, an annual event in which we celebrate the many cultures represented on campus through food, music, and dance.
The Stony Brook School Photo #7 - Trips to New York City, outdoor excursions, ski trips, vans to the mall and movies, concerts, dances, open faculty houses, open dorms, and a wide range of community service opportunities highlight a few of the many activities we offer to both our day and boarding students. Student led-clubs are also a central piece of our campus life.
The Stony Brook School Photo #8 - Our Athletic Programs offer both individual and team building opportunities that emphasize camaraderie, dedication, and perseverance. At Stony Brook, athletics are not an extracurricular activity; they are an essential ingredient in our mission to further personal growth and character education. Last year, our 17 sports teams collectively won over a dozen individual and team championships.
The Stony Brook School Photo #9 - Our Visual and Performance Arts program serves as the perfect accent to an SBS education; we believe this plays an integral role in a college preparatory experience. Our theater program is student produced, from the stage to the sound room.
The Stony Brook School Photo #10 - The local beaches, harbors, and wetlands that make up the northern coast of Long Island are known for their beauty and scientific interest. The School strives to take full advantage of its ideal maritime setting, offering sail training, sail competition, and the study of the marine environment.
The Stony Brook School Photo #11 - At Stony Brook, music, drama, and visual arts play an integral role in the college preparatory experience. All students participate in the Fine Arts Program. The recently renovated Fine Arts facility houses our studios, art gallery, practice rooms, and stage. Opportunities in music include our award-winning choir and instrumental ensembles.
The Stony Brook School Photo #12 - Trips to New York City, Open Dorms, faculty Open Houses, outdoor excursions, ski trips, vans to the mall and movies, concerts, dances, and a wide range of Community Service opportunities are a just few of the many optional weekend activities offered at Stony Brook.
- Founded in 1922 with the motto "Character Before Career," The Stony Brook School educates students in matters of the mind, body, and heart.
- Students are trained to be leaders with integrity and virtue.
- We find that character is essential to the development of the whole person and maintain a spiritual component to the education process. While students are presented with the truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, they are free to maintain their own personal spiritual beliefs.
- We currently have students enrolled at 23 of the top 50 American Colleges/Universities, and 43 of the top 100 (as ranked by Forbes' list of America's Top Colleges 2012). Call to set up a visit! We offer private tours as well as Open House events and Class Visit Days year-round.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Cornell University Although the faculty at many schools live on campus and are closely involved in students' lives, at Stony Brook students live in such close contact with the faculty that you become like family. It was. . .
- George Washington University Stony Brook really does prepare one for college. Living in a dorm for 4 years has helped me to adjust to the college life. I also feel that I am able to manage my time. . .
- University of Hartford The Stony Brook School was built not only on academic excellence, but also on a strong Christian foundation. I really feel this helped to build the person I am today. As a senior we. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Stony Brook||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||55 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||386 students||315 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1270||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$14.5 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Yuri Francis|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Sharice Welch|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science A, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP Environmental Science (APES), AP European History, AP French, AP Latin, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C: Mechanics, Electricity, & Magnetism, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language & Culture, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History, College-Level Chinese, College-Level Ethics and Politics, College-level History of Philosophy|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admissions Office Volunteer, Civil Air Patrol, Fire Squad, Greystock News, Griffin Odyssey, Griffin Squad Mascot Crew, MathCounts, Orientation Guides, Prefect Board, Prom Committee, SOAR, Student Activity Board, Students of Color Organization, Technology Crew, The Bell (school newspaper), TOEFL club, Weight Training, Workjob Council, Writing Center
Arts and Music Programs:
Daycare volunteer, International Students Organization, Res Gestae (Yearbook), The Rubicon (Literary Magazine), Theatrical Arts Society (T.A.S), Worship Team
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Pennsylvania||3|
|University of Michigan||2|
|Washington University in St. Louis||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1922 with the motto "Character Before Career," The Stony Brook School is an independent Christian college preparatory boarding and day school for students in grades 7-12. It exists to challenge young men and women to know Jesus Christ as Lord, to love others as themselves, and to grow in knowledge and skill, in order that they may serve the world through their character and leadership. Distinguished for its academics and set apart by its mission, The Stony Brook School is widely known for its passion for character education. Located on the beautiful north shore of Long Island, the 55-acre campus is home to 370 students. Most of our faculty members live on or near campus. With students from all over the United States and 24 countries, The Stony Brook School has truly emerged as one of the most diverse private schools in the nation. Stony Brook offers a rigorous college preparatory program that combines traditional academics with competitive athletics, training in the visual and performing arts, and a focus on character development set in the framework of Christian belief and example. We currently have students enrolled at 26 of the top 50 American Colleges/Universities, and 43 of the top 100 (as ranked by Forbes' list of America's Top Colleges 2012).
- The Stony Brook School accreditations: CEEB, NAIS, NYSAIS, NACAC, TABS, CASE, Cum Laude Society
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Stony Brook School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 174 students 3 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 195 students 57.4 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
Learn why more and more students are choosing to do a gap or post graduate (PG) year at boarding school.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.