The Stony Brook School
5.00 (6 reviews)
1 Chapman Parkway
Stony Brook, NY 11790
Stony Brook, NY 11790
The Stony Brook School Photo #2 - The Stony Brook School is committed in its mission to "challenge young men and women to know Jesus Christ." Students attend chapel services twice per week throughout the academic year. They hear from guest speakers, Stony Brook faculty, and their peers on a wide range of topics. In addition, students may attend optional events, like our student-led youth group "Driven."
The Stony Brook School Photo #3 - In March 2015, we had the grand unveiling of our state-of-the-art S.T.E.M. lab. Our flagship program, Engineering Innovation and Design (EID) challenges students to encompass building, engineering, and programming skills along with their ability to design and print 3D models to find creative and possible solutions to a variety of problems given the resources available.
The Stony Brook School Photo #4 - The Stony Brook School is one of the most diverse boarding schools in the country. With students representing 24 countries and multiple states, our community is a snapshot a global community. Pictured above is our International Festival, an annual event in which we celebrate the many cultures represented on campus through food, music, and dance.
The Stony Brook School Photo #5 - Trips to New York City, outdoor excursions, ski trips, vans to the mall and movies, concerts, dances, open faculty houses, open dorms, and a wide range of community service opportunities highlight a few of the many activities we offer to both our day and boarding students. Student led-clubs are also a central piece of our campus life.
The Stony Brook School Photo #6 - Our Athletic Programs offer both individual and team building opportunities that emphasize camaraderie, dedication, and perseverance. At Stony Brook, athletics are not an extracurricular activity; they are an essential ingredient in our mission to further personal growth and character education. Last year, our 17 sports teams collectively won over a dozen individual and team championships.
The Stony Brook School Photo #7 - Our Visual and Performance Arts program serves as the perfect accent to an SBS education; we believe this plays an integral role in a college preparatory experience. Our theater program is student produced, from the stage to the sound room.
The Stony Brook School Photo #8 - The local beaches, harbors, and wetlands that make up the northern coast of Long Island are known for their beauty and scientific interest. The School strives to take full advantage of its ideal maritime setting, offering sail training, sail competition, and the study of the marine environment.
The Stony Brook School Photo #9 - At Stony Brook, music, drama, and visual arts play an integral role in the college preparatory experience. All students participate in the Fine Arts Program. The recently renovated Fine Arts facility houses our studios, art gallery, practice rooms, and stage. Opportunities in music include our award-winning choir and instrumental ensembles.
The Stony Brook School Photo #10 - Trips to New York City, Open Dorms, faculty Open Houses, outdoor excursions, ski trips, vans to the mall and movies, concerts, dances, and a wide range of Community Service opportunities are a just few of the many optional weekend activities offered at Stony Brook.
- The Stony Brook School is an independent college preparatory school (grades 7-12) that exists to challenge young men and women to know Jesus Christ as Lord, to love others as themselves, and to grow in knowledge and skill, in order that they may serve the world through their character and leadership.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Cornell University Although the faculty at many schools live on campus and are closely involved in students' lives, at Stony Brook students live in such close contact with the faculty that you become like family. It was. . .
- George Washington University Stony Brook really does prepare one for college. Living in a dorm for 4 years has helped me to adjust to the college life. I also feel that I am able to manage my time. . .
- University of Hartford The Stony Brook School was built not only on academic excellence, but also on a strong Christian foundation. I really feel this helped to build the person I am today. As a senior we. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Stony Brook||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||55 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||411 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1351||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$16.3 million||$20 million|
(For grades 7-8: $26,500)
|Tuition international students||$60,700||$50,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Dec. 16 / Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Yuri Francis|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Sharice Welch|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science A, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP Environmental Science (APES), AP European History, AP French, AP Latin, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C: Mechanics, Electricity, & Magnetism, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language & Culture, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art 2-D Design, AP Studio Art 3-D Design, AP US History, College-Level Chinese, College-Level Ethics and Politics, College-Level History of Philosophy, College-Level Latin|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
CarsonTech (Technology), Chess Team, Driven (Christian Campus Life), Ethics Bowl Team, International Council, Mock Trial, Prefect Board, Robotics Team
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber Singers, Concert Choir, Orchestra, Theatrical Arts Society (T.A.S)
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Pennsylvania||3|
|University of Michigan||2|
|Washington University in St. Louis||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1922 with the motto Character Before Career, The Stony Brook School seeks to educate students in matters of the mind, body, and heart. Students are challenged to become intellectual leaders who possess integrity and virtue, and we consider character development to be essential to the educational process.
- For 97 years, SBS` mission has remained the same - and this demonstrates something peculiar about our School. Instead of opting to choose a different religion or abandon faith all together, Stony Brook insists on maintaining the rich synergy between academic inquiry and Christianity. While peer institutions have turned away over the years, our commitment to faith-based education remains steadfast. Even though students are presented with the non-denominational gospel of Jesus Christ, they are free to maintain their personal spiritual beliefs.
- Stony Brook`s distinctive academic commitment, in lockstep with facilitating strong arts and athletic programs, provides our students with the foundation to both attend and succeed at the world`s best colleges and universities. In fact, 74% of our students were accepted to at least one school that is designated by Barron`s as "Most Competitive" - which include institutions like Cornell University, University of Chicago, Columbia University, NYU, and Amherst College.
- While a Stony Brook education involves gaining knowledge and growing in skill, it is never just to benefit the student. Our aim is that SBS graduates would serve the world in excellence through what they have learned here. Through mentorship, real life experience and meaningful leadership opportunities that contribute to the wellbeing of the School community, Stony Brook students learn the value and power of strong character. They learn that it is more blessed to give than to receive, that humility and service are the pathway to greatness, and that giving up one`s life is truly the way to find it.
- The Stony Brook School accreditations: CEEB, NAIS, NYSAIS, NACAC, TABS, CASE, Cum Laude Society
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Sarah Drew Lanfer '98 - Actress - recently played Dr. April Kepner on "Grey's Anatomy"
- Lars Brownworth '93 - Author and historian - current history teacher at The Stony Brook School
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Stony Brook School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 174 students 3 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.