The Ethel Walker School
- The Ethel Walker School is an independent, college preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades six through 12 plus a postgraduate year.
- Boarding is offered for students in grades seven through twelve, including Post Graduate students.
- Since 1911, The Ethel Walker School has excelled at preparing students to make a difference in the world.
- Members of this diverse community are dedicated to scholarship, the arts, athletics, wellness, and service.
- The satisfaction of achievement and joy of friendship are fundamental principles as the School empowers girls to lead with integrity, respect, confidence, courage, conviction and a love of learning.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Ethel Walker||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||7-12, PG||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||175 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||236 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1250||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1150 - 1375||-|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Shirt with a collar and either tailored pants, fingertip-length shorts, or a skirt from Tommy Hilfiger. Sweaters must be ordered from Walker's Tommy Hilfiger website and include a logo.)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$24.79 million||$20 million|
(Middle School 5-Day: $60,834, 7-Day: $65,916)
($40148 Middle School Day)
|Tuition international students||$68,866||$51,800|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$35,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Aline Rossiter|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Elizabeth Greenberg|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||18|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Calculus, Advanced Calculus - 2, Advanced Computer Science, Advanced Economics, Advanced English - Literature and Medicine, Advanced Human Geography, Advanced Latin; Vergil, Advanced Physics, Advanced Psychology, Advanced Spanish, Advanced U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||43||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Amnesty International, Anime Club, Art for Charity, Asian Club, Astronomy Club, Bee Club, Black Student Union (BSU), CHANGE Club, Cicerone Society, Cooking Club, Daemon Club (Art & Literary Magazine), Dance Club, Debate Club, Film Society, Forte Ensemble, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Gifts from the Heart, Habitat for Humanity, Justice League, LASO (Latin American Student Organization), Middle School Garden Club, Multicultural Society, Pepperpot (Yearbook), Photography Club, Random Acts of Kindness, Robotics Club (The Wirecats), Self Defense and Martial Art Club, Step Club, The Wave Cafe, Walker's Wheelers, Wings (Gender and Sexuality Alliance)
Arts and Music Programs:
African Drumming, Choir, Choristers (Middle School), Gospel Choir, Grapes a cappella, Guitar Society, Harmonious Bells, Orchestra, Voce Felice
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Outdoor Adventure, Personal Fitness, Yoga
|Year: 2003 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Mount Holyoke College||12|
|New York University||12|
|Southern Methodist University||10|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Walker`s has a strong reputation in three areas: high academic standards that stretch students and motivate them to direct their own learning, the spirit of our all-girls community, and the individual attention we focus on our students. At Walker`s, girls in our Middle School, Upper School plus our postgraduate program pursue their passions, find their voice, take risks, try new things, and make lifelong friends.
- The Ethel Walker School accreditations: NEASC, TABS, CAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Ethel Walker School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.