Miss Porter's School
Founded in 1843 by lifelong scholar and educator, Sarah Porter, Miss Porter`s School is a college preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades nine through 12.
Located in the center of Farmington, Conn., Porter`s offers a diverse high school experience with 332 students hailing from 20 states and representing 16 countries.
The school educates young women to become informed, bold, resourceful and ethical global citizens who will shape a changing world. For more information, please visit www.porters.org.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pitzer College Two defining factors about Miss Porter's is the sense of community and the ability for students to create lasting connections with teachers. The community fostered by the students and faculty at Porter's is unlike any. . .
- William & Mary Miss Porter's has unique traditions unlike any other school aimed at including students and making them feel like part of a campus community, such as the school ring tradition. Part of the fun is learning. . .
- Smith College I would definitely have to say that something unique about Porter's is the connection between Alumnae (called "Ancients") and students. The ability to talk about shared experiences and traditions across generations is something I rarely. . .
Top 20 Placements
Miss Porter's School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 305 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Miss Porter's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||50 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||332 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1190 - 1370||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||32||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$128 million||$23 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$27,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||87%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sarah Quinn|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||34||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Anime Club, Asian Student Alliance, Astronomy Club, Black Latinx Alliance, Blockchain Club, Christian Fellowship, Community Service Club, Debate Club, Earth Club, Economy and Finance Club, Gender and Sexuality Alliance, Girls Who Code, International Student Advisory, Jewish Student Union, Literary Magazine, Mental Health Alliance, Model UN, Politics Club, Student Council, Student Newspaper, Tour Guides, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
A cappella, Choir, Dance Workshop, Digital Art, Drawing, Filmmaking, Jazz Band, Orchestra, Painting, Pottery, Printmaking, Theater and tech
- Miss Porter's School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Notable Alumnae - www.porters.org/alumnae
- Submit Review for Miss Porter's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG| 236 students 8.8 miles230 Bushy Hill Road
6-12, PG (day)
Simsbury, CT 06070
(860) 408-42008.87-12, PG236
6-12, PG (day)
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.