Miss Porter's School
- Founded in 1843 by lifelong scholar and educator, Sarah Porter, Miss Porter`s School is a college preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades nine through 12.
- Located in the center of Farmington, Conn., Porter`s offers a diverse high school experience with 313 students hailing from 21 states and representing 17 countries.
- The school educates young women to become informed, bold, resourceful and ethical global citizens who will shape a changing world. For more information, please visit www.porters.org.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- William & Mary Miss Porter's has unique traditions unlike any other school aimed at including students and making them feel like part of a campus community, such as the school ring tradition. Part of the fun is learning. . .
- Smith College I would definitely have to say that something unique about Porter's is the connection between Alumnae (called "Ancients") and students. The ability to talk about shared experiences and traditions across generations is something I rarely. . .
- Providence College Traditions! There is nothing like the kind of bonding that a Porter's girl gets from the traditions she will experience during her 4 years at MPS. The traditions are kept a secret up until a. . .
- Dartmouth Miss Porter's School is a school built on tradition, and a common goal of achieving excellence. We have mandatory community service hours, rigorous classes, excellent sports, and most of all a community that truly cares. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Miss Porter's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||50 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||313 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1240||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1180 - 1330||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$113 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||25191||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||87%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sarah Quinn|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||45||23|
|Extracurriculars||Am I (Analyzing Media Intellectually, Internally & Internationally), Animal Rights Club, Art Appreciation Club, Asian Club, Athletic Association, Christian Fellowship Club, Concordia (community service club), Debate Club, French Club, Hispanic Cultural Club, Jewish Student Union, Model UN, Perilhettes (senior singing group), Players Mandolin Performance Troupe, Salmagundy (newspaper), Science Bowl, Society for National and International Affairs, STAND, Stock Market Club, Student Activities, Student Peace Alliance, Tour Guides (admissions), Watu Wazuri (multicultural organization)|
Club or Organization:
AIDS Awareness Club, Archive Club, Culture Club, Democrats Club, Earth Club, HACIA Democracy Club, International Student Club, Knitting Club, LOV (Ladies of Vitality), Republican Club, Sister-to-Sister, Spectrum, Spirit Squad, Sushi Club, Tea Club, UBUNTU (Africa Club), Warm Hands, Warm Hearts, Youth in Action Group
Arts and Music Programs:
Animation Club, MAFIA (Making Amateur Fun of Improv Arts), Poetry Club
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Notable Alumnae - www.porters.org/alumnae
- Submit Review for Miss Porter's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 252 students 8.8 miles230 Bushy Hill Road
6-12, PG (day)
Simsbury, CT 06070
6-12, PG (day)
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.