Miss Porter's School
Founded in 1843 by lifelong scholar and educator, Sarah Porter, Miss Porter`s School is a college preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades nine through 12.
Located in the center of Farmington, Conn., Porter`s offers a diverse high school experience with 332 students hailing from 20 states and representing 16 countries.
The school educates young women to become informed, bold, resourceful and ethical global citizens who will shape a changing world. For more information, please visit www.porters.org.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pitzer College Two defining factors about Miss Porter's is the sense of community and the ability for students to create lasting connections with teachers. The community fostered by the students and faculty at Porter's is unlike any. . .
- William & Mary Miss Porter's has unique traditions unlike any other school aimed at including students and making them feel like part of a campus community, such as the school ring tradition. Part of the fun is learning. . .
- Smith College I would definitely have to say that something unique about Porter's is the connection between Alumnae (called "Ancients") and students. The ability to talk about shared experiences and traditions across generations is something I rarely. . .
Miss Porter's School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 302 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Miss Porter's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||50 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||332 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1190 - 1370||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 18
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||32||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$128 million||$25 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$27,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||87%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sarah Quinn|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||34||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Anime Club, Asian Student Alliance, Astronomy Club, Black Latinx Alliance, Blockchain Club, Christian Fellowship, Community Service Club, Debate Club, Earth Club, Economy and Finance Club, Gender and Sexuality Alliance, Girls Who Code, International Student Advisory, Jewish Student Union, Literary Magazine, Mental Health Alliance, Model UN, Politics Club, Student Council, Student Newspaper, Tour Guides, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
A cappella, Choir, Dance Workshop, Digital Art, Drawing, Filmmaking, Jazz Band, Orchestra, Painting, Pottery, Printmaking, Theater and tech
- Miss Porter's School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Notable Alumnae - www.porters.org/alumnae
Profile last updated: 04/26/2021
- Submit Review for Miss Porter's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG| 236 students 8.8 miles230 Bushy Hill Road
6-12, PG (day)
Simsbury, CT 06070
(860) 408-42008.87-12, PG236
6-12, PG (day)
October 14, 2021
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
September 30, 2021
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
September 27, 2021
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.