Miss Hall's School
Miss Hall's School Photo #2 - "The best thing about MHS is how friendly everyone is and how easy it is to become part of the community. I had an abundance of new friends on the first day of orientation, and I had bonded with my teachers by the end of the first week of classes." - Current Student
Miss Hall's School Photo #3 - Thursdays means Horizons at MHS. It also means the entire school day changes: ninth grade students immerse themselves in on-campus workshops and projects that prepare them for future Horizons work. Sophomores, juniors and seniors spend the morning volunteering and interning around the Berkshire community or leading on-campus, independent projects that shape the world around them.
Miss Hall's School Photo #4 - Step outside the classroom onto our fields, courts, and trails. Athletics at MHS allows you to compete at the highest level while building confidence and leadership skills.
Miss Hall's School Photo #5 - At MHS, we believe the arts are an instrinsic part of the human experience, and we take full advantage of opportunities in the cultural center that is the Berkshires. Students experiment with new forms of creativity, gain respect for artistic tradition, and find their artistic voice.
Miss Hall's School Photo #6 - The MHS graduate is a thinker, a creator and a contributor to the common good. She is a global citizen, a self-aware, resilient, and courageous participant in a multicultural society. Empowered by skills and knowledge, the MHS graduate is able to solve problems with intellect and creativity while embracing a spirit of exploration and curiosity.
- Founded in 1898, Miss Hall`s School is a four-year, college preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 9-12, located in Pittsfield, the largest city in the Berkshire Hills of Western Massachusetts.
- The School provides a rigorous college preparatory program while supporting a culture of inclusivity, service, and leadership.
- Our program is enhanced by offerings in the arts and athletics, and by its nationally recognized Horizons program.
- Guided by our mission and sharpened by daily practice, our School continuously reimagines girl-centered education to foster a pioneering intellectual spirit and an authentic engagement between students and adults.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical Univeristy My school offers Horizons, which is a weekly event in which sophomores and up travel off-campus to complete volunteer work at a chosen site while Freshman learn valuable skills like gardening, the basics of business. . .
- Goucher College The Horizon's Program is an aspect of Miss Halls that stands out as unique. 10-12th graders apply to off-campus internships that they attend once a week on Thursday mornings. These internships provide real-world experience that. . .
- Rochester Institute of Technology One really unique aspect of Miss Halls is the Girl's Leadership Project (GLP) which includes campus programs such as Horizons, PAaLS and MAPS. Horizons is a program where all students volunteer at severl local businesses. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Miss Hall's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||90 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||217 students||315 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1291||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$16 million||$20 million|
(Financial aid available.)
(Financial aid available.)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$39,068||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||David Hopkins|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP U.S. History, Hallmark English: Literary Ghosts, Hallmark French, Hallmark History: Rethinking the Mediterranean, Hallmark Latin, Hallmark Math: Project-Based Statistics, Hallmark Spanish, Hallmark: Art Intensive, Hallmark: Environmental Science, Hallmark: Humanities Seminar, Human Geography, Independent Projects in Art|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||12||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Golf, Lacrosse, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||27||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admissions Ambassadors, Animation Comic and Game Club, Audio Visual Club, Brain Bee - Neuroscience, Business Club, Chemistry Club, Cooking Club, Current Events Club, Debate Club, Diversity Coalition, Environmental Action Team, Hallways Student Newspaper, International Student Alliance, Marketing Design Club, Reading and Discussions Club, Space Club, Spectrum - LGBTQ, STEAM Club, Step Team
Arts and Music Programs:
Grace Notes a Capella Group, MHS Theater Ensemble, Vocal and Music Ensembles
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness, Movement and Dance, Snowboarding, Swimming, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Our program intentionally builds the intellect, skills, and mindset that empower young women to contribute boldly and creatively to an evolving global society, while preparing them to pursue higher levels of education and lifelong learning. Miss Hall`s is gradually moving beyond the College Board`s AP curriculum in order to align more closely with our mission and strategic priorities. We have designed new "Hallmark" courses to allow for more personalized, in-depth, and sustained inquiry at the highest level available in our school. Hallmark classes provide in-depth, demanding coursework that serves students who are seeking to examine and understand a subject above and beyond our standard college preparatory curriculum. Students can challenge themselves with our most personalized and rigorous course offerings in each subject. Most Hallmark courses culminate in a creative, public presentation of learning. Hallmark courses foster intellectual curiosity and allow our students to engage with the world through critical discourse as well as provide opportunities for deep investigation and thematic study.
- Our experiential service-learning program, Horizons, is embedded in the academic life of Miss Hall`s and serves as a bridge from the classroom to the real world. On Thursday mornings each year, students are required to take part in on- and off-campus volunteering, internships, and projects, which evolve sequentially throughout grade levels. Seniors participate in yearlong professional internships or individualized projects tailored to their interests, in partnership with local community organizations and businesses.
- LD types supported: Various - Support offered in the Academic Skills Center
- Miss Hall's School accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), Association of Secondary Schools in New England (AISNE), Association of International Educators (NAFSA), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Northeastern Boarding Schools Admission Association (NBSAA), National Coalition of Girls' Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Lucy Adams Billings '66 - New York State Supreme Court Justice
- Barbara Cooperman '73 - Executive VP, Market Communications and Corporate Relations, Elsevier
- Jean Erdman '34 - An influential figure in the world of modern dance and part of the Martha Graham Dance Company; was on the faculty of Columbia University and New York University; was the wife of mythologist Joseph Campbell until his death in 1987.
- Paula Leuchs Moats '72 - Senior VP, Laconia Capital Corporation
- Susan O'Day '77 - Exec VP: Enterprise Technology/CIO, Walt Disney Co
- Molly Shepard '64 - President and CEO, The Leader's Edge
- Stacey Sotirhos '89 - Instructional Support Specialist, New York City Board of Education
- Kari Steinert '85 - Big Foote Music, composer and musician for commercials and films
- Dian Adams Toland '72 - Project Director of Construction and Restoration, The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation
- Catherine Foster '95 - Architect, Pei Cobb Freed + Partners
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Miss Hall's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 236 students 45.1 miles230 Bushy Hill Road
6-12, PG (day)
Simsbury, CT 06070
6-12, PG (day)
Boarding Schools in a Minute gives an overview of independent residential schools in North America.
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
We explore the reasons why you should send your child to boarding school