- Grier School is a boarding and day school for girls ingrades7-12, located in beautiful Central Pennsylvania.
- Our 300 students enjoy a well-rounded education in academics, the arts and athletics.
- At Grier, girls become emboldened, engaged, and poised for the future.
- Lemuel Grier, the first in our founding family,conveyed this sentiment best: "Our aim is not to stuff the mind with undigested knowledge from the Text Book, but to train its powers, so that the student may be able to think for herself." Today,the tradition to develop students` critical thinking abilities-as well as the other21st century skills-inspires both our pedagogy and curriculum, which offers classes ranging from college preparatory to Advanced Placement (AP) and in-depth scholarship through electives and advanced offerings.
- The standards of faculty and instructors are high, as are the levels of concern and support provided to ensure that students experience success.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pennsylvania State University Grier School is unique in a number of different ways, but the aspect that I value most as a former student has to do with the atmosphere and student body. Many people ask me what. . .
- Penn State University For me, there are so many aspects of Grier that make it unique to other boarding schools. At Grier, you don't receive the "run-of-the-mill" boarding school experience. There, it was not just about. . .
- Hollins University One aspect that sets Grier apart from other schools is that all of the students live on campus - school is home. Under this setup, students also bond more easily with one another, and the. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Grier School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||320 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||285 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1340||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1170 - 1430||-|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,350|
(Grier Summer offers two 3-week sessions. Sessions may be combined to create longer stays. Campers may choose 1 to 2 week stay options and fees will be prorated.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$23 million||$19 million|
(Scholarships and financial aid available)
(International students may not be day students.)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jennifer Neely|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Katharine Kingera|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science Principles, English Literature, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics 1, Physics 2, Psychology, Spanish Language and Culture, Statistics, Studio Art: 2-D Design, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Golf, Riding, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||30||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Alpha Omega, Anti-Bullying Club, Bridge Club (Women's Rights and Advocacy), Environmental Club, Excursion Club, Garden Club, Grier School Ambassadors, Journalism Club, Kaleidoscope, Knitting Club, National Honor Society, Prom Committee, Recycling Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Flute Choir, Jazz Band, Musical Theatre, Orchestra, Pottery Club, Private Music Lessons, Rock Band, Select Singers, String Orchestra, Theatre
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian, Golf, Personal Fitness, Tennis, Yoga, Zumba
|Year: 2010 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Pennsylvania State University||5|
|New York University||4|
|University of Wisconsin||2|
|Berklee College of Music||1|
|School of the Art Institute of Chicago||1|
|School of the Visual Arts||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Grier School is a boarding and day school for girls in grades 7-12, located in Central Pennsylvania. Our 300 students enjoy a well-rounded education in academics, the arts, and athletics.
- Grier School accreditations: Middle States Association
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Camila Sodi - Mexican TV star and pop singer - attended Grier as a 9th grader.
- Marcy Rylan - Soap Opera actress
- Veronica Velasco - Mexican Green Party Official
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Grier School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 298 students 117.1 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.