Saint James School
17641 College Road
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Tel: (301) 733-9330 Ext. 3004
Saint James School Photo #2 - Pursuing a classical liberal arts and sciences education, our students gain the knowledge, skills, and intangibles needed for college success.
Saint James School Photo #3 - Boarding means 24/7 immersion in our community, which creates additional opportunities to develop independence, resilience, and self-motivation, providing the best preparation for the demands of college.
Saint James School Photo #4 - Daily chapel allows for quiet reflection and a way to connect with personal spirituality.
Saint James School Photo #5 - With an average class size of 11 students, our inspiring educators build relationships that go beyond the traditional student-teacher dynamic.
Saint James School Photo #6 - Athletics are an integral part of the Saint James experience--keeping our students active; helping them develop teamwork, leadership, and discipline; and providing opportunities to embrace new experiences.
Saint James School Photo #7 - 75% of Saint James students are actively engaged in the fine arts, comprised of music, visual art, dance, and theater.
Saint James School Photo #8 - Six times a week, we gather for seated meals, a tradition that has shaped the Saint James community since our founding in 1842.
- Live Bravely. Lead for Good. Founded in 1842, Saint James School is a coeducational, Episcopal boarding school with a smaller day student program for grades 8-12 located in Hagerstown, Maryland.
- From many backgrounds, faiths, and points of view, our students are broadly educated and deeply principled.
- They are self-confident, well spoken, and fearless in sharing their opinions and beliefs.
- They are well prepared for college and life. Kind and moral, our students are inspired to lead for good.
- The Saint James community is distinguished by an abiding mutual respect that impacts every aspect of life and learning.
- Here, every person is welcome, every voice is heard, and every perspective is valued. Conveniently located just 70 miles from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, MD, our beautiful 689-acre campus is home to 235 students, with 75 percent choosing to board on campus.
- Small classes (typically 11 students) ensure engagement and mastery of material.
- A variety of AP and post-AP courses (17 total) allow interested students to pursue subjects in greater depth.
- Saint James students grow by trying new things. We offer 14 different competitive sports, a wide variety of clubs, service opportunities, and an excellent fine arts program that includes drama, dance, music, and visual art.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Saint James School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||689 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||235 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1270||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Blazer required for all students; tie or bow tie is required for boys)
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$25 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||John Tucker|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Kelly Espy|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Latin - Vergil, AP Music Theory, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP United Stated History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admission Tour Guides, Big Brothers & Big Sisters, Community Garden Club, FAB Lab Maker Club, Investment Club, Model United Nations, QED Math Club, Robotics Club, Speech and Debate Team, Student Activities, Student Newspaper, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Boys' A Cappella, Chamber Orchestra, Choir, Girls' A Cappella, PRISM (Persons Rising in Support of Multiculturalism)
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Well rounded and well prepared. Saint James students explore broadly and think deeply, balancing scholarly work and the spirited pursuit of other interests. Small classes (typically 10-12 students) ensure engagement and mastery of material. A variety of AP and post-AP courses (17 total) allow interested students to pursue subjects in greater depth.
- Saint James supports our students in ways that only a community of this size and character can. Expert teaching, advising, and mentoring help them cultivate the confidence, skills, and habits of mind that lead to success in college--and beyond.
- Conveniently located just 70 miles from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, our beautiful 689-acre campus is home to 235 students, with 75 percent choosing to board on campus. By choosing to live at Saint James, you gain a second home--and a second family of friends, teachers, mentors, and coaches who are focused as much on your happiness as your performance in the classroom.
- Saint James students grow by trying new things. We offer 14 different sports, a wide variety of clubs, service opportunities, and an excellent fine arts program that includes drama, dance, music, and visual art.
- As an Episcopal school, Saint James introduces all of its students to the liturgical traditions of Anglican Christianity focusing on our common values of humanity, integrity, and compassion. Worshipping alongside people of many faiths gives you constant exposure to other cultures and beliefs. A culture of open dialogue -- where differing perspectives are valued and encouraged -- will allow you to develop skills of civil discourse.
- We invite you to visit to experience firsthand our unique community. See for yourself that everything you've been looking for really does exist in one school.
- Saint James School accreditations: Accredited jointly by the Association of Independent Maryland Schools and Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and approved by the Maryland State Board of Education
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Holloway - Former Chair, Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Alfred T. Mahan - 19th century naval strategist, author of The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660–1783
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Saint James School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Tips for athletes applying to boarding school.
This is a fictional interview with the head of a boarding school. After all, her concerns are probably yours as well.
We parents have a multi-faceted role to play in protecting our school-age children during th pandemic.