Saint James School
Saint James School Photo #2 - Pursuing a classical liberal arts and sciences education, our students gain the knowledge, skills, and intangibles needed for college success.
Saint James School Photo #3 - Boarding means 24/7 immersion in our community, which creates additional opportunities to develop independence, resilience, and self-motivation, providing the best preparation for the demands of college.
Saint James School Photo #4 - Daily chapel allows for quiet reflection and a way to connect with personal spirituality.
Saint James School Photo #5 - With an average class size of 11 students, our inspiring educators build relationships that go beyond the traditional student-teacher dynamic.
Saint James School Photo #6 - Athletics are an integral part of the Saint James experience--keeping our students active; helping them develop teamwork, leadership, and discipline; and providing opportunities to embrace new experiences.
Saint James School Photo #7 - 75% of Saint James students are actively engaged in the fine arts, comprised of music, visual art, dance, and theater.
Saint James School Photo #8 - Six times a week, we gather for seated meals, a tradition that has shaped the Saint James community since our founding in 1842.
- Live bravely. Lead for good. As a school and as a community, our mission is "to prepare young men and women for academic success in college, and to challenge and inspire them to be leaders for good." Pursuing these timeless ideals in today's chaotic world requires more than the usual dose of courage and character. Saint James students embody both.
- At Saint James School, you'll embrace intellectual challenge, expanding your knowledge, interests, and skills beyond the familiar.
- You'll spend your days with close friends in a warm, residential community built on kindness and mutual respect.
- You'll use your time well, doing what you love and always trying something new, gathering the tools for a lifetime of learning.
- Located just 70 miles from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and three international airports, our 689-acre campus is home to 235 students from 16 different countries.
- We invite you to learn more about our community of leaders and learners.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Saint James School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||689 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||235 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1310||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$20 million||$19 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Ben Douglass|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Amelia Fitzsimmons|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Latin - Vergil, AP Music Theory, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP United Stated History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||15|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Boom! Science Club, Community Garden Club, Cooking Club, Debate Club, Game Development Club, Newspaper, Ski Club, Spirit Club, Tour Guides, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Boys' A Cappella, Choir, Dance Club, Girls' A Cappella
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Well rounded and well prepared. Saint James students explore broadly and think deeply, balancing scholarly work and the spirited pursuit of other interests. Small classes (typically 10-12 students) ensure engagement and mastery of material. A variety of AP and post-AP courses (17 total) allow interested students to pursue subjects in greater depth.
- Saint James supports our students in ways that only a community of this size and character can. Expert teaching, advising, and mentoring help them cultivate the confidence, skills, and habits of mind that lead to success in college--and beyond.
- Conveniently located just 70 miles from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, our beautiful 689-acre campus is home to 235 students, with 75 percent choosing to board on campus. By choosing to live at Saint James, you gain a second home--and a second family of friends, teachers, mentors, and coaches who are focused as much on your happiness as your performance in the classroom.
- Saint James students grow by trying new things. We offer 14 different sports, a wide variety of clubs, service opportunities, and an excellent fine arts program that includes drama, dance, music, and visual art.
- As an Episcopal school, Saint James introduces all of its students to the liturgical traditions of Anglican Christianity focusing on our common values of humanity, integrity, and compassion. Worshipping alongside people of many faiths gives you constant exposure to other cultures and beliefs. A culture of open dialogue -- where differing perspectives are valued and encouraged -- will allow you to develop skills of civil discourse.
- We invite you to visit to experience firsthand our unique community. See for yourself that everything you've been looking for really does exist in one school.
- Saint James School accreditations: Accredited jointly by the Association of Independent Maryland Schools and Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and approved by the Maryland State Board of Education
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Holloway - Former Chair, Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Alfred T. Mahan - 19th century naval strategist, author of The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660–1783
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Saint James School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.