Saint James School
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: (Boarding) 8-12
- Enrollment: 240 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $54,500
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $33,500
- Acceptance rate: 54%
- Average class size: 11 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 31 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Saint James School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 294 schools) for:
Academics and Faculty
Blazer required for all students; tie or bow tie is required for boys
AP / Advanced Courses
Admission Tour Guides, Big Brothers & Big Sisters, Chapel Vestry, Community Garden Club, DEI Committee, FAB Lab Maker Club, Investment Club, Model United Nations, QED Math Club, Robotics Club, Speech and Debate Team, Student Activities, Student Newspaper, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Boys' A Cappella, Chamber Orchestra, Choir, Girls' A Cappella
- Well rounded and well prepared. Saint James students explore broadly and think deeply, balancing scholarly work and the spirited pursuit of other interests. Small classes (typically 10-12 students) ensure engagement and mastery of material. A variety of AP and post-AP courses (17 total) allow interested students to pursue subjects in greater depth.
- Saint James supports our students in ways that only a community of this size and character can. Expert teaching, advising, and mentoring help them cultivate the confidence, skills, and habits of mind that lead to success in college--and beyond.
- Conveniently located just 70 miles from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, our beautiful 689-acre campus is home to 240 students, with 75 percent choosing to board on campus. By choosing to live at Saint James, you gain a second home--and a second family of friends, teachers, mentors, and coaches who are focused as much on your happiness as your performance in the classroom.
- Saint James students grow by trying new things. We offer 14 different sports, a wide variety of clubs, service opportunities, and an excellent fine arts program that includes drama, dance, music, and visual art.
- As an Episcopal school, Saint James introduces all of its students to the liturgical traditions of Anglican Christianity focusing on our common values of humanity, integrity, and compassion. Worshipping alongside people of many faiths gives you constant exposure to other cultures and beliefs. A culture of open dialogue -- where differing perspectives are valued and encouraged -- will allow you to develop skills of civil discourse.
- We invite you to visit to experience firsthand our unique community. See for yourself that everything you've been looking for really does exist in one school.
- Saint James School accreditations: Accredited jointly by the Association of Independent Maryland Schools and Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and approved by the Maryland State Board of Education
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James L. Holloway, III '39 - Former Chair, Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Alfred T. Mahan - 19th century naval strategist, author of The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660–1783
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Saint James School cost?
Saint James School's tuition is approximately $54,500 for boarding students and $33,500 for day students.
What is the acceptance rate of Saint James School?
The acceptance rate of Saint James School is 54%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from Saint James School?
Saint James School famous alumni include: James L. Holloway, III '39 and Alfred T. Mahan.
What sports does Saint James School offer?
Saint James School offers 14 interscholastic sports: Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball and Wrestling.
What is Saint James School's ranking?
Saint James School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools for High percentage of students on financial aid.
When is the application deadline for Saint James School?
The application deadline for Saint James School is Jan. 31 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 31 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).