The Hill School
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 525 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $59,050
- Acceptance rate: 32%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 31 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
- Founded in 1851, The Hill School is a purposefully small and close learning community -- a place where our academic excellence is based upon a challenging liberal arts curriculum, a faculty of highly qualified, dedicated teachers; a noteworthy breadth of advanced and honors course offerings; and a structured atmosphere that blends high expectations with meaningful support. Headmaster Zachary G. Lehman is passionate about seeing Hill described as "both the most traditional and the most innovative secondary school in the country simultaneously." To that end, The Hill School complements its traditions with an energetic level of innovation. The School is evaluating and implementing educational technologies that allow its students to access, synthesize, and apply knowledge in new ways: quickly, collaboratively, and creatively. Over the coming years, The Hill will affirm what it already does very well while considering new curricular and co-curricular programs, finding improved ways to teach all Hill students 21st century success skills such as critical thinking and problem solving, collaboration and leading, agility and adaptability, initiative and entrepreneurship, effective oral and written communication, accessing and analyzing data, and curiosity and imagination.
- The Hill School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Baker III '48 - Former Secretary of State
- Norman Pearlstine '60 - Editor-in-chief of Time, Inc
- Tobias Wolff '64 - Stanford University professor and critically acclaimed author of Old School
- Oliver Stone '64 - Academy Award-winning producer/director
- Peter S. Rummell '63 - Chairman and CEO of the Florida real estate and development firm the St. Joe Co.
- Clark Hoyt '60 - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and Washington editor of Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services
- Lamar Hunt '51 - Businessman, owner and founder of the Kansas City Chiefs and a creator of the American Football League
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does The Hill School cost?
The Hill School's tuition is approximately $59,050 for boarding students.
What is the acceptance rate of The Hill School?
The acceptance rate of The Hill School is 32%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from The Hill School?
The Hill School famous alumni include: James Baker III '48, Norman Pearlstine '60, Tobias Wolff '64, Oliver Stone '64, Peter S. Rummell '63, Clark Hoyt '60 and Lamar Hunt '51.
What sports does The Hill School offer?
The Hill School offers 22 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Water Polo, Winter Track and Wrestling.
What is The Hill School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for The Hill School?
The application deadline for The Hill School is Jan. 31 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 31 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2016
Colorado Mesa University
Class of 2002
Class of 1980
College of William and Mary (B.A., MBA)