Lawrenceville School Photo #3 - The Lawrenceville School: Student Council President Debate, led by editors of the School's newspaper.
- Founded in 1810, The Lawrenceville School is located on 700 acres in the historic village of Lawrenceville, New Jersey, five miles south of Princeton, 55 miles from New York City and 40 miles north of Philadelphia.
- The mission of The Lawrenceville School is to inspire and educate promising young people from diverse backgrounds for responsible leadership, personal fulfillment and enthusiastic participation in the world.
- Through our unique House system, collaborative Harkness approach to teaching and learning, close mentoring relationships, and extensive co-curricular opportunities we help students to develop high standards of character and scholarship, a passion for learning, an appreciation for diversity, a global perspective, and strong commitments to personal, community, and environmental responsibility.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- New York University The house system is unique to different boarding schools and the dress code.. . .
- University of Pennsylvania What makes Lawrenceville unique from other boarding schools is definitely its house and harkness method. Harkness is especially unique because it allows for students to everyday engage critically with the text they are reading and. . .
- Bowdoin College One of the most notable aspects of Lawrenceville is the house system. It is often compared to Harry Potter. After freshman year all students are sorted into the houses they will live in their sophomore. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Lawrenceville School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 318 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Lawrenceville School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||700 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||817 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1470||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||33||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$459.8 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$52,204|
(Average day student financial aid grant: $38,555)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||83%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Will Richardson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Year: 2010 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||24|
|University of Pennsylvania||20|
|Columbia University/Brown University||18|
|Cornell, Yale, & Stanford Universities||14|
|George Washington & Johns Hopkins Universities||13|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Lawrenceville School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Michael Eisner 1960 - Former CEO, The Walt Disney Company
- Huey Lewis 1967 - Musician/singer
- Horace Porter 1854 - Brigadier General in Civil War, Medal of Honor Winner, Grant's White House Secretary
- Jay Carney 1983 - White House Press Secretary
- Fox Butterfield 1957 - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, The New York Times
- Joakim Noah 2004 - NBA player, Chicago Bull
- James Merrill 1943 - Author, The Changing Light at Sandover
- Bobby Sanguinetti 2006 - NHL player, New York Rangers
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Lawrenceville School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
Two kinds of admissions are in use at American boarding schools: admissions with a fixed deadline and rolling admissions. We take a look at rolling admissions.