The Lawrenceville School: Campus Overview (Note Solar Farm at top of photo, which provides more than 90 percent of the campus' electrical needs)
The Lawrenceville School: Student Council President Debate, led by editors of the School's newspaper.
- Founded in 1810, The Lawrenceville School is located on 700 acres in the historic village of Lawrenceville, New Jersey, five miles south of Princeton, 55 miles from New York City and 40 miles north of Philadelphia.
- The mission of The Lawrenceville School is to inspire and educate promising young people from diverse backgrounds for responsible leadership, personal fulfillment and enthusiastic participation in the world.
- Through our unique House system, collaborative Harkness approach to teaching and learning, close mentoring relationships, and extensive co-curricular opportunities we help students to develop high standards of character and scholarship, a passion for learning, an appreciation for diversity, a global perspective, and strong commitments to personal, community, and environmental responsibility.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Bowdoin College One of the most notable aspects of Lawrenceville is the house system. It is often compared to Harry Potter. After freshman year all students are sorted into the houses they will live in their sophomore. . .
- William and Mary The Harkness method of teaching keeps classes small and interactive. Everyone, including instructors, is seated in an equal position around the table. Harkness classes helped me find my voice and prepared me for work conferences. . .
- Califoria Institute of Technology House system: all students are put into a house their sophomore year, and your affiliation runs really, really deep. On the whole, students love their house, their housemates, and get really into house spirit. It. . .
- Amherst College The location of The Lawrenceville alone is enough to differentiate it from most other competitive boarding schools tucked away in New England. Nestled in a quiet town just 5 miles from Princeton, you get. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 330 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity High percentage of students of color
- Faculty Education High percent faculty with advanced degrees
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Lawrenceville School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||700 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||817 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2090||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||n/a - n/a||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Less than once a month|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$372 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$48,039||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Will Richardson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Year: 2010 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||24|
|University of Pennsylvania||20|
|Columbia University/Brown University||18|
|Cornell, Yale, & Stanford Universities||14|
|George Washington & Johns Hopkins Universities||13|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Submit Review for Lawrenceville School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
May 18, 2017
The International Baccalaureate programmes cover the entire K-12 spectrum with three distinct educational curricula. In this article, we focus on American private high schools which offer the Diploma Programme.
May 11, 2017
In 1957-58 Peter Denis attended a boarding school in Switzerland. In this article he recounts his experiences for us.
April 26, 2017
Vision. Generosity. High-minded principles. These are the hallmarks of the benefactors of the five schools featured in this article.