The Lawrenceville School: Campus Overview (Note Solar Farm at top of photo, which provides more than 90 percent of the campus' electrical needs)
The Lawrenceville School: Student Council President Debate, led by editors of the School's newspaper.
- Founded in 1810, The Lawrenceville School is located on 700 acres in the historic village of Lawrenceville, New Jersey, five miles south of Princeton, 55 miles from New York City and 40 miles north of Philadelphia.
- The mission of The Lawrenceville School is to inspire and educate promising young people from diverse backgrounds for responsible leadership, personal fulfillment and enthusiastic participation in the world.
- Through our unique House system, collaborative Harkness approach to teaching and learning, close mentoring relationships, and extensive co-curricular opportunities we help students to develop high standards of character and scholarship, a passion for learning, an appreciation for diversity, a global perspective, and strong commitments to personal, community, and environmental responsibility.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- New York University The house system is unique to different boarding schools and the dress code.. . .
- Bowdoin College One of the most notable aspects of Lawrenceville is the house system. It is often compared to Harry Potter. After freshman year all students are sorted into the houses they will live in their sophomore. . .
- William and Mary The Harkness method of teaching keeps classes small and interactive. Everyone, including instructors, is seated in an equal position around the table. Harkness classes helped me find my voice and prepared me for work conferences. . .
- Califoria Institute of Technology House system: all students are put into a house their sophomore year, and your affiliation runs really, really deep. On the whole, students love their house, their housemates, and get really into house spirit. It. . .
- Amherst College The location of The Lawrenceville alone is enough to differentiate it from most other competitive boarding schools tucked away in New England. Nestled in a quiet town just 5 miles from Princeton, you get. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 325 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Lawrenceville School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||700 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||818 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||2090||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$372.2 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||50043||$22,700|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Will Richardson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Year: 2010 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||24|
|University of Pennsylvania||20|
|Columbia University/Brown University||18|
|Cornell, Yale, & Stanford Universities||14|
|George Washington & Johns Hopkins Universities||13|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Michael Eisner 1960 - Former CEO, The Walt Disney Company
- Huey Lewis 1967 - Musician/singer
- Horace Porter 1854 - Brigadier General in Civil War, Medal of Honor Winner, Grant's White House Secretary
- Jay Carney 1983 - White House Press Secretary
- Fox Butterfield 1957 - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, The New York Times
- Joakim Noah 2004 - NBA player, Chicago Bull
- James Merrill 1943 - Author, The Changing Light at Sandover
- Submit Review for Lawrenceville School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.