Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
- Founded in 1810, The Lawrenceville School is located on 700 acres in the historic village of Lawrenceville, New Jersey, five miles south of Princeton, 55 miles from New York City and 40 miles north of Philadelphia.
- Our Mission: Through House and Harkness, Lawrenceville challenges a diverse community of promising young people to lead lives of learning, integrity, and high purpose. Our mission is to inspire the best in each to seek the best for all.
- Through our unique House system, collaborative Harkness approach to teaching and learning, close mentoring relationships, and extensive co-curricular opportunities we help students to develop high standards of character and scholarship, a passion for learning, an appreciation for diversity, a global perspective, and strong commitments to personal, community, and environmental responsibility.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- New York University The house system is unique to different boarding schools and the dress code.. . .
- University of Pennsylvania What makes Lawrenceville unique from other boarding schools is definitely its house and harkness method. Harkness is especially unique because it allows for students to everyday engage critically with the text they are reading and. . .
- Bowdoin College One of the most notable aspects of Lawrenceville is the house system. It is often compared to Harry Potter. After freshman year all students are sorted into the houses they will live in their sophomore. . .
Top 20 Placements
Lawrenceville School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 310 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Lawrenceville School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||700 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||817 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1490||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||33||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$459.8 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$52,434||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||83%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Greg Buckles|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Year: 2017 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||35|
|University of Pennsylvania||27|
|University of Chicago||24|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
How To Apply:
- While Lawrenceville accepts both the Standard Application Online (SAO) and the Gateway to Prep School Application, we recommend using the Gateway application. Please refer to the Gateway checklist to make sure you've submitted all required documents for the Lawrenceville application process:
- Official School Reports and Transcripts (current and past 2 years)
- Principal/Counselor Recommendation (current year)
- English Teacher Recommendation (Humanities - English/History/Social Studies/Social Sciences) This can now be completed by teachers in the current or previous year.
- Math Teacher Recommendation (STEM - Math/Science/Engineering) This can now be completed by teachers in the current or previous year.
- $50 for domestic candidates
- $100 for international candidates
- Domestic candidates please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application fee waiver if you are experiencing financial hardship.
- Lawrenceville School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Michael Eisner 1960 - Former CEO, The Walt Disney Company
- Huey Lewis 1967 - Musician/singer
- Horace Porter 1854 - Brigadier General in Civil War, Medal of Honor Winner, Grant's White House Secretary
- Jay Carney 1983 - White House Press Secretary
- Fox Butterfield 1957 - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, The New York Times
- Joakim Noah 2004 - NBA player, Chicago Bull
- James Merrill 1943 - Author, The Changing Light at Sandover
- Bobby Sanguinetti 2006 - NHL player, New York Rangers
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Lawrenceville School
- School Location Miles Grades Students