Founded in 1893 in southern Pennsylvania, Mercersburg Academy gives students in grades 9-12 and postgraduates the opportunity to live and learn with fellow young adults from 27 states and 39 countries.
Mercersburg students benefit from a 300-acre campus, a 4:1 student-to-faculty ratio, 170 academic courses, 27 varsity sports, a robust performing and fine arts program, a robotics program, an outdoor education program, dozens of clubs and student organizations, global travel opportunities, and $8 million in annual financial aid.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Pennsylvania Mercersburg has an incredibly beautiful campus. It is a place for reflection as much as anything else. The gothic chapel is designed by the architect who built Princeton University's chapel, and it carries a rich. . .
- Vassar College Mercersburg has a unique community in that everyone is so connected and there really is a sense of family among the students and teachers. Everyone is incredibly kind, welcoming, ambitious, and curious. the relationships I. . .
- Duke University Opportunity and Community were the two buzzwords that largely encompass my Mercersburg experience. What lies between these two speaks just as loudly. There is a certain "presence of the present" that exists at Mercersburg that. . .
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Mercersburg Academy ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 304 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Mercersburg Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||5-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||445 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1368||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1210 - 1450||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Restrictions apply for standard dress)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$397 million||$24 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$36,573||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||75%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Zach Swope|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||27||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||35||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Asian Student Union, Baking Club, Black Student Union, Blue Key Society (tour guides), Book Club, Chess Club, Computer Science Club, Debate Club, Digital Entertainment Development Club, Equestrian Club, French Club, Gamers Club, German Club, Green Team, Humans of Mercersburg Club, Irving Literary Society, Jewish Club, Marshall Literary Society, Meditation Club, Mercersburg Inclusion Alliance, Mercersburg Jr. Classical League (Latin Club), Model United Nations, Photography Club, Rainbow Alliance, Science Club, Sixth Man Club, Spanish Club, Student Activities Committee, Student Alumni Association, Student Athlete Advisory Council, The Fifteen, The Hungry Philosophers Guild, The Mercersburg News, Voices 4 Justice, Women's Activist Club
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Mercersburg Academy is an independent coed boarding and day school that allows students in grades 9-12 and postgraduates to define themselves through the establishment of meaningful relationships and exposure to a range of academic, extracurricular, and co-curricular opportunities. Mercersburg students actively and confidently experience the world both on and off campus. We understand the benefit of experiential learning and provide the ideal academic setting for a balanced and authentic learning environment. Mercersburg Academy believes in the value of honoring the past, engaging the present, and preparing for the future. Founded in 1893, the school is committed to providing students with the opportunity to live and learn in a richly diverse academic environment that provides a rigorous and relevant curriculum to 445 boarding and day students from 27 states and 39 nations. The beautiful 300-acre campus is 90 minutes from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, MD, and within three hours of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
- Mercersburg Academy accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jimmy Stewart '28 - Academy Award-winning actor
- Benicio Del Toro '85 - Academy Award- and Golden Globe Award-winning actor
- Melvin Stewart '88 - Olympic Gold Medal swimmer
- Michael Davies '85 - Emmy Award-winning producer, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
- Rebecca Lowe '99 - NBC sportscaster; former ESPN UK and BBC sports journalist
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Mercersburg Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed just about everything in our day-to-day lives. Here's a look at how the pandemic is impacting boarding schools.
A military high school might be an option for your son or daughter. We take a look at what these schools offer.
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.