- Founded in 1893 in southern Pennsylvania, Mercersburg Academy gives students in grades 9-12 and post-graduates the opportunity to live and learn in a diverse and authentic environment that is home to young people from 27 states and 36 countries.
- With a 300-acre campus, 170 academic courses, 27 varsity sports, a robust arts program, and $7 million in annual financial aid, Mercersburg is within easy reach of Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Pennsylvania Mercersburg has an incredibly beautiful campus. It is a place for reflection as much as anything else. The gothic chapel is designed by the architect who built Princeton University's chapel, and it carries a rich. . .
- Vassar College Mercersburg has a unique community in that everyone is so connected and there really is a sense of family among the students and teachers. Everyone is incredibly kind, welcoming, ambitious, and curious. the relationships I. . .
- Duke University Opportunity and Community were the two buzzwords that largely encompass my Mercersburg experience. What lies between these two speaks just as loudly. There is a certain "presence of the present" that exists at Mercersburg that. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Mercersburg Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 314 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Mercersburg Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||442 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1341||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1210 - 1450||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Restrictions apply for standard dress)
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$297 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$33,560||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||75%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Anna Crouch|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||18|
|Link to List of AP Courses:||View List of AP Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||27||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||35||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Baking Club, Black Student Union, Blue Key Society (tour guides), Book Club, Chess Club, Computer Science Club, Debate Club, Digital Entertainment Development Club, Equestrian Club, French Club, Gamers Club, German Club, Green Team, Humans of Mercersburg Club, Irving Literary Society, Jewish Club, Marshall Literary Society, Meditation Club, Mercersburg Inclusion Alliance, Mercersburg Jr. Classical League (Latin Club), Mid-Tea-Val Club, Model United Nations, Photography Club, Rainbow Alliance, Science Club, Sixth Man Club, Spanish Club, Student Activities Committee, Student Alumni Association, Student Athlete Advisory Council, The Fifteen, The Hungry Philosophers Guild, The Mercersburg News, Voices 4 Justice, Women's Activist Club
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Mercersburg Academy is an independent coed boarding and day school that allows students in grades 9-12 and post-graduates to define themselves through the establishment of meaningful relationships and exposure to a range of academic, extracurricular, and co-curricular opportunities. Mercersburg students actively and confidently experience the world both on and off campus. We understand the benefit of experiential learning and provide the ideal academic setting for a balanced and authentic learning environment. Mercersburg Academy believes in the value of honoring our past, engaging the present, and preparing for the future. Founded in 1893, the school is committed to providing students with the opportunity to live and learn in a richly diverse academic environment that provides a rigorous and relevant curriculum to 442 boarding and day students from 27 states and 36 nations. The beautiful 300-acre campus, which is home to state-of-the-art facilities, is 90 minutes from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, MD, and within three hours of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
- Mercersburg Academy accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jimmy Stewart '28 - Academy Award-winning actor
- Benicio Del Toro '85 - Academy Award- and Golden Globe Award-winning actor
- Melvin Stewart '88 - Olympic Gold Medal swimmer
- Michael Davies '85 - Emmy Award-winning producer, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
- Rebecca Lowe '99 - NBC sportscaster; former ESPN UK and BBC sports journalist
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Mercersburg Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Learn about the benefits of attending a Quaker boarding school.
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.