300 East Seminary Street
Mercersburg, PA 17236
Mercersburg, PA 17236
Meeting in the Springboard Lab, an open, collaborative classroom space designed for one of Mercersburg's senior capstone courses
- Why Mercersburg? Because Mercersburg Academy is a student-centered school that allows students to define themselves through the establishment of meaningful relationships and exposure to a vast range of academic, extra-curricular, and co-curricular opportunities.
- Mercersburg students actively and confidently experience the world both on campus and abroad.
- We understand the benefit of learning by doing in a school setting that promotes a balanced and authentic learning environment.
- Founded in 1893, Mercersburg Academy is committed to providing students with the opportunity to live and learn in a richly diverse academic environment that provides a rigorous and relevant curriculum to 430 boarding and day students from 30 states, including the District of Columbia, and 40 nations.
- The beautiful 300-acre campus, which is home to state of the art facilities and seven recently renovated residence halls, is 90 minutes from Washington, DC and Baltimore, and short driving distance to New York and Philadelphia.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Tufts University We have sit-down meals everyday of the weekday. The tables rotate every two weeks so you really get to know different faculties and students. We also have Irving-Marshall week, so students are divided into two. . .
- Hillsdale College This school is one-of-a-kind. I could seriously write for hours. I guess one thing that really stands out above all the rest of the amazing parts of this school is the Burgin Center for the. . .
- New York University I visited plenty of boarding schools when trying to make my decision, but honest to God, none of them give the same feeling when you arrive as Mercersburg. Its a combination of beautiful older buildings. . .
- Columbia University I definitely think the kind of relationship that students build with faculty at Mercersburg is one of the most precious assists of Mercersburg. Teachers are your coaches, advisers and friends that discuss with you your. . .
- Lehigh University I think most graduates would agree that the community aspect of Mercersburg is definitely its most incomparable asset. There is never a time that you lack support or feel like you're just a number. You. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 329 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Mercersburg Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||300 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||440 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2084||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$252 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,000||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Quentin McDowell|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Amy Mohr|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||16|
|Link to List of AP Courses:||View List of AP Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||58||23|
|Extracurriculars||AASU (African American Student Union), Amnesty International Club, Animation Club, Asian Club, Biking Club, Blue Key, Blue Review (Literary Magazine), Book Club, Business Club, Car Club, Chorale, Class Council, Classics Club, Community Service Club, Computer Club, Concert Club, Conduct Review Board, Cornucopia (Music Listening Club), Cum Laude, Democrats Club, Fifteen (Literary Text Discussion), French Club, FROSTE (Facts, Reason, Objectivity, Skepticism, Thinking, Evidence), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), German Club,|
|Year: 2009 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|United States Naval Academy||26|
|New York University||9|
|Penn. State University||9|
|George Washington University||7|
|Johns Hopkins University||7|
|University of Pittsburgh||7|
|University of Pennsylvania||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Distinctive features:5:1 student-faculty ratio; 160+ courses and 40 AP/Honors courses; 72 percent of faculty hold advanced degrees; extensive study abroad programs across the world and language exchange programs for students studying German, French, Spanish, Chinese and Latin; $252 million endowment; $6 million in financial aid; 25 competitive varsity athletic teams; 10-court Davenport Squash Center; 14-court Smoyer Tennis Center; 65,000 sq ft. Burgin Center for the Arts; newly renovated Nolde Gymnasium. Graduates go on to the nation`s top colleges and universities. Alumni include 7 Rhodes Scholars, 12 Olympic gold medalists, 2 Academy Award Winners, and a Nobel laureate.
- In 2014, 30 students were named AP Scholars, 18 were named Scholars with Honor, and 38 were named Scholars with Distinction, and five were named National Scholars.
- 25 members of the Mercersburg Class of 2014 were formally introduced as members of the Cum Laude Society. The Cum Laude Society, a national academic honor society, is the high-school equivalent of the college-level Phi Beta Kappa.
- Travel opportunities this year permitted students faculty members to visit nine different countries over spring and summer breaks. To increase global awareness and participate in service opportunities, students visited China, Chile, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Haiti, Poland, South Africa, and Spain. Students and faculty also traveled domestically to Charleston, SC, the Grand Canyon, New River Gorge, WV, New Orleans, LA, Orlando, FL, Virginia Beach, VA and Westlake, TX.
- Mercersburg recently announced a generous bequest of $3.9 million from alumnus Howard Flock, a member of the school`s Class of 1940. His gift will support international travel study programs for Mercersburg students.
- As part of Mercersburg`s endowed lecture series, the community enjoyed presentations from many notable authors and artists, including National Book Award Winner James McBride, author of The Color of Water and The Good Lord Bird. Other recent speakers of note include: Jonathan Haidt, author and professor at NYU's Stern School of Business; Andrew Bacevich, professor of international relations at Boston University; and Lisa Shannon, the first grassroots activist in the United States to raise awareness of the human-rights crisis in the Congo.
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jimmy Stewart '28 - Actor, Academy Award winner
- Benicio Del Toro '85 - Actor, Academy Award and Golden Globe winner
- Melvin Stewart, Jr. '88 - Olympic Gold Medalist, 200-meter Butterfly (Olympic Record), Barcelona, 1992; Olympic Gold Medalist, 400-meter Medley Relay and 800-meter Freestyle Relay, Barcelona, 1992
- Michael Davies '85 - Emmy Winning Producer, ABC's Who wants to be a Millionaire?
- Mark Talbott '78 - Top-ranked professional squash player in the world from 1983-1995; one of the 15 inaugural inductees into the U.S. Squash Hall of Fame.
- Dr. Lucian Leape '48 - Harvard professor and father of the modern patient safety movement in the United States
Submit Review for Mercersburg Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.