- Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school in northwest New Jersey, located 65 miles from New York City.
- Amid a caring, vibrant community, 460 students pursue a superior college preparatory education and explore their passions through myriad co-curricular activities.
- Strong faculty-student relationships lead to exceptional learning and empower students to become persons of great accomplishment and character.
- Blair graduates distinguish themselves at top colleges and as leaders in their professions and communities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Columbia University in the City of New York Consistent with its relatively small student body as compared to many other boarding schools, Blair is a place that knows the value of both its community and the relationships cultivated therein. From the moment I. . .
- Williams College The amazing student-faculty relationships definitely made Blair special for me; the faculty are not only your teachers but also your coaches and mentors and dorm-parents, and all of that inter-relatedness allows the students and faculty. . .
- Bucknell University Blair Academy is a beautiful school that provided a lot of nourishment for students looking for an alternative to local private/public schools. Blair was the perfect size school with students from around the world. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Blair Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||463 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||460 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(business casual; no denim)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||54||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$101 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$41,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Peter G. Curran|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Edward Wenner & Leucretia Shaw|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||54||18|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus A, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Language and Culture, Comparative Government/Politics, Computer Science, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, French Literature, Latin, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics 1, Physics C - Electricity and Magnetism, Physics C - Mechanics, Psychology, Spanish Language, Studio Art Portfolio, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||35||23|
|Extracurriculars||Blair Academy Singers, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Service Club, Environmental Science Club, Jazz Choir (by audition only), Junior Statesmen of America, Lower School Interns, Native American Afro-Latino Student Alliance, PE Weight Training and Conditioning, Students Government|
Club or Organization:
Academic Honor Committee, Blair Girls Who Code, Blair Literary Magazine, Blue and White Key, Drone Club, Earth Club, Hand Bells, Oriocos, Photo Silkscreen, Research Activity, Stagecraft, Student Plays (by audition only), TEAM, The Forum, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Blair Academy Dancers, Red Inc., Student Rock Bands, Study Skills, Theatre and the Arts, Video Production, Wind Symphony
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Headmasters' Societies Competitions, The Annual (school yearbook)
|Year: 2013 - 2017||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||26|
|The George Washington University||14|
|University of Pennsylvania||13|
|University of Miami||10|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school that engages 460 studentsin grades nine through twelve. On our historic campus, located 65 miles from New York City innorthwestern New Jersey, students pursue a superior college preparatory education amid a rich, vibrantcommunity life.Strong student-teacher relationships are at the heart of the Blair experience. Expert faculty membersteach our classes to exacting standards, yet, at the same time, they truly know-and care about-ourstudents as scholars, leaders, athletes, artists, friends and individuals. This knowledge fosterspersonalized learning opportunities and leads to higher academic achievement as students arecontinually challenged to reach their full potential.At Blair, two faculty members mentor each student as he or she explores passions and interests in andout of the classroom. Our robust curriculum offers core courses and innovative electives, including morethan 50 honors, Advanced Placement and post-AP classes, and our emphasis on effectivecommunication ensures students learn how to clearly articulate ideas and knowledge. Blair boasts a fineand performing arts program of depth, breadth and diversity. Regular art exhibits and theatricalproductions, instrumental and choral ensembles, and eclectic courses invite students to develop theircreativity. Fine art and technology intersect in the Chiang Center for Innovation and Collaboration, astate-of-the art learning hub where intellectual discourse, discovery and partnership are fostered inacademic spaces, including media production and art studios, a maker space and Collaboration Forum.Blair has a broad athletics program that emphasizes teamwork, resilience, self-discipline andsportsmanship. Students may choose from among 28 varsity and 18 JV and thirds teams in traditionalhigh school sports, as well as golf, skiing, squash and crew. A host of clubs, weekend events and time tosimply relax with friends round out the Blair experience, giving students myriad opportunities todiscover their best selves.In all of our offerings, Blair prepares our students for success. Leadership education and meaningfulservice initiatives are infused throughout our community and curriculum, and students at every levellearn and practice effective communication, team-based problem solving, ethical decision making andcross-cultural relationship building. Each is a critical skill that will not only help Blair graduatesdistinguish themselves at top colleges and universities, but, more importantly, find professional andpersonal fulfillment by making a difference in their communities and in the world.
- Blair Academy accreditations: Middle States; TABS; NJAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Blair Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
Two kinds of admissions are in use at American boarding schools: admissions with a fixed deadline and rolling admissions. We take a look at rolling admissions.