- Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school in northwest New Jersey, located 65 miles from New York City.
- Amid a caring, vibrant community, 460 students pursue a superior college preparatory education and explore their passions through myriad co-curricular activities.
- Strong faculty-student relationships lead to exceptional learning and empower students to become persons of great accomplishment and character.
- Blair graduates distinguish themselves at top colleges and as leaders in their professions and communities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Columbia University in the City of New York Consistent with its relatively small student body as compared to many other boarding schools, Blair is a place that knows the value of both its community and the relationships cultivated therein. From the moment I. . .
- Williams College The amazing student-faculty relationships definitely made Blair special for me; the faculty are not only your teachers but also your coaches and mentors and dorm-parents, and all of that inter-relatedness allows the students and faculty. . .
- Pace University (Undergrad), Trinity College Dublin (Masters) Blair offers a tremendous student to teacher ratio, large variety of classes offered, and fantastic campus set up. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Blair Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||463 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||460 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(business casual; no denim)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||54||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$94.6 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$41,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Peter G. Curran|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Edward Wenner & Leucretia Shaw|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||54||17|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus A, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Language and Culture, Comparative Government/Politics, Computer Science, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, French Literature, Latin, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics 1, Physics C - Electricity and Magnetism, Physics C - Mechanics, Psychology, Spanish Language, Studio Art Portfolio, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||35||24|
|Extracurriculars||Blair Academy Singers, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Service Club, International Club, Model UN, Outdoor Skills, Peer Tutoring, Society of Skeptics, Student Government, Student Newspaper|
Club or Organization:
Academic Honor Committee, Blair Girls Who Code, Blair Literary Magazine, Blue and White Key, Drone Club, Earth Club, Healthy Relationships Committee, Investment Club, Jewish Union, Math Team, Perspectives, Prefects, Quiz Bowl, Rules and Discipline Committee, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Blair Academy Dancers, Jazz Club, String Orchestra, Student Rock Bands, Theatre and the Arts, Video Production, Wind Symphony
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Headmasters' Societies Competitions, Kayaking
|Year: 2013 - 2017||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||26|
|The George Washington University||14|
|University of Pennsylvania||13|
|University of Miami||10|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school that engages 460 achievement-minded students in grades nine through twelve. On our historic campus, located 65 miles from New York City in New Jersey`s northwest hills, students pursue a superior college preparatory education amid a rich, vibrant community life. Strong student-teacher relationships are at the heart of the Blair experience. Expert faculty members teach our classes to exacting standards, yet, at the same time, they truly know-and care about-our students as scholars, leaders, athletes, artists, friends and individuals. This knowledge fosters personalized learning opportunities and leads to higher academic achievement as students are continually challenged to reach their full potential.At Blair, two faculty members mentor each student as he or she explores passions and interests in and out of the classroom. We consider a student`s academic commitment his or her most important responsibility, and our "open architecture" curriculum offers core courses and innovative electives, including 52 honors, Advanced Placement and post-AP classes. The School has a robust athletics program that emphasizes teamwork, resiliency, self-discipline and sportsmanship. Students may choose from among 28 varsity and 19 JV and thirds teams in traditional high school sports, as well as golf, skiing, squash and crew. In addition, Blair boasts a fine and performing arts program of depth, breadth and diversity. Regular art exhibits and theatrical productions, a variety of instrumental and choral ensembles, and eclectic courses ranging from architecture to video studies invite students to explore and develop their creativity. A host of clubs, weekend special events and time to simply relax with friends in the dormitories round out the Blair experience and give every student myriad opportunities to discover his or her best self.In all of our offerings, Blair prepares our students for success in an increasingly complex world. Leadership education and meaningful service initiatives are infused throughout our community and curriculum, and students at every level learn and practice effective communication, team-based problem solving, ethical decision making and cross-cultural relationship building. Each is a critical skill that will not only help Blair graduates distinguish themselves at the nation`s top colleges and universities, but, more importantly, find professional and personal fulfillment by ultimately making a difference in their communities and in the world.
- Blair Academy accreditations: Middle States; TABS; NJAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Blair Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?