St. Andrew's School, DE
St. Andrew's School, DE Photo #2 - Our 2100 acre campus is located in Middletown, DE just a short drive from Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.
St. Andrew's School, DE Photo #3 - Our student body, proud to be wearing red and black, hails from 28 states and 17 countries!
St. Andrew's School, DE Photo #4 - This outdoor classroom is an extension of our newly renovated Amos Hall: home base for the hands-on learning and collaboration of our mathematicians and scientists.
St. Andrew's School, DE Photo #5 - St. Andrew's offers 15 sports which includes 19 varsity teams... 1 in 4 athletes earns All-Conference honors each year.
St. Andrew's School, DE Photo #6 - Besides the 51 state tournament appearances in the past decade, our junior varsity and thirds teams are also competitive in our league.
St. Andrew's School, DE Photo #7 - The Arts program includes dance, visual arts, theater, photography, film making, vocal and instrumental music.
St. Andrew's School, DE Photo #8 - Engelhard Hall, located in the O'Brien Arts building, is home to countless performances and guest speakers each year, as well as school meetings every Thursday.
St. Andrew's School, DE Photo #9 - Our commitment to sustainability and protecting our natural resources for future generations is evident in school and student initiatives, including our campus organic garden.
- St. Andrew's is a 21st century school with the spirit, intention, and culture to create positive innovation and change in the nation and the world.
- With an extraordinary faculty and student body, St. Andrew's actively pursues the synthesis of academic excellence and human excellence.
- We are determined to inspire our students and graduates to see their educational experience here as the foundation of engaged lives as citizens of a world in need of creativity, compassion, justice, and collaboration.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Dartmouth St. Andrews not only has the most incredible ethos but uses that ethos among the student body to do good. The small student population allows no one to slip under the cracks, and it’s the. . .
- Davidson College I think that the small student body and close knit community of St. Andrew's makes it very unique. With a student body of only about 300 students, you know everyone's name and they know yours. . .
- Johns Hopkins University St. Andrew's is such a unique place, and it would be impossible to choose just one thing that separates St. Andrew's from any other boarding school. The most obvious difference is probably that St. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
St. Andrew's School, DE is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 318 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|St. Andrew's School,||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||2100 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||306 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1372||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1260 - 1480||-|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||44||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$190 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$47,631||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||75%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Heather Daly|
Matthew E. Wolinski
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||44||18|
|Courses||Advanced Topic Tutorial: Chinese, Advanced Topic Tutorial: French, Advanced Topic Tutorial: Latin, Advanced Topic Tutorial: Math, Advanced Topic Tutorial: Spanish I, Advanced Topic Tutorial: Spanish II, AS Anatomy & Physiology, AS Astronomy, AS Bioengineering, AS Biology, AS Calculus AB, AS Calculus BC, AS Chemistry, AS Chinese, AS Dance: Classical Ballet, AS Dance: Contemporary, AS Differential Calculus, AS Drawing & Painting, AS English 3, AS English 4, AS English 4: History, Literature and the Contested Past, AS Environmental Science, AS Film, AS French, AS History: American Social Reform Movements, AS History: Coming of Age- American in the Early Atomic Era, AS History: Democracy and Empire- Athens in the 5th Century, AS History: Histories of Hate- American Racism and German Anti-Semitism, AS History: History of Economic Thought I, AS History: History of Economic Thought II, AS History: History, Literature and the Contested Past, AS History: Latin American History, AS History: Research Seminar, AS History: The Mediterranean World 500-1500, AS History: The Modern Middle East, AS History: Victorious Rome- The Creation of National Identity Through Conflict, AS History: World at War, AS Latin 4: Vergil, AS Mathematical Economics, AS Music Theory and Music History, AS Photography, AS Physics (Calculus Based), AS Spanish, AS Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||40||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Ad Astra- astronomy club, Asian Affinity Group, Beekeeper's Club, Casa Latina, Coding Club, Community Service Organization, Crepes and Conversation, Environmental Stewards, Essence, Girls Collaborative, Guys Group, Humans of St. Andrew's, Mentoring- community service, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, Multicultural Affinity Group, Onyx, Organic Gardening, Outing Club, Playwriting Club, Poetry Club, Robotics, Sapphire, SAS Book Club, Senior Center- community service, South Asian Affinity Group, St. Andrew's Medical Society, Student Council, Student Vestry, SWAG (student weekend activity group), The Andrean- literary magazine, The Cardinal- school newspaper, The Griffin- yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Andrean Ensemble (Choral Music), Jazz Ensemble, Musical Theater Showcase, Noxontones- Acapella Group, Orchestra, St. Andrew's Dance Company
Recreational Athletic Programs:
St. Andrew's Indoor Soccer League (SAISL)
|Year: 2016 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Virginia||12|
|New York University||8|
|The George Washington University||7|
|University of Chicago||7|
|University of Pennsylvania||7|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- As a school founded in 1929 with an extraordinary commitment to financial aid, St. Andrew's believes that academic and human excellence emerge through the collaboration, communication, and shared experiences of a socioeconomically diverse community. The school's culture, abiding spirit, and ambition reflect our study of the nation's best small colleges-institutions that are committed to all-residential education and dynamic collaboration between students and teachers.
- St. Andrew's faculty have the expertise, creativity, and qualifications to teach at any level, but they choose to honor the art of teaching, mentoring, and coaching as the foundation of our school. In our residential community, they work alongside students to create a counter-cultural private school, one dedicated to character, leadership, and an ambitious public good.
- The energy, momentum, and grace of the school emerge as students learn that together, anything and everything is possible at St. Andrew's. We not only imagine, but actually enact what a 21st century boarding school becomes if students take responsibility for a culture of kindness; a spirit of collaboration, respect, and honor; and a collective commitment to excellence.
- In this age of data and analytics, schools and educators are often asked: What is the "value added" of your school? What are the data sets that prove academic excellence? Our response to this desire to measure the work of great students and teachers is to focus on making our pursuit of that work-academic, artistic, athletic, or otherwise-deep, joyful, authentic, and engaged in the life of our democracy. Come see the exhibition of excellence that is St. Andrew's.
- Explore more about St. Andrew's here:We BelieveThis Is St. Andrew's AthleticsThe Arts at St. Andrew's
- St. Andrew's School, DE accreditations: Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ed Strong - Broadway producer
- Dennis Blair - Former Director of National Intelligence and former United States Navy four-star admiral
- Michael Whalen - Winner of 2 Emmy Awards, composer of over 650 television and film scores
- Bulent Atalay - Physicist and author
- Erin Burnett - News anchor for CNBC
- Hume Horan - American diplomat and ambassador to five countries
- Loundon Wainwright III - American songwriter, folk singer, humorist, and actor
- Kirk Varnedoe - American art historian and writer
- Dominic Seiterle - Canadian rower, Olympic gold medalist
- Maggie Rogers - American musician, singer-songwriter, and producer
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Andrew's School, DE
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.