St. Andrew's School, DE
- "St. Andrew's mission is to enrich and transform our students' lives in profound and exciting ways.
- Through intensive collaboration with great teachers, our students begin their study and appreciation of the accumulated wisdom of human culture, sharpen their analytical skills, and develop their performances in oral, written, and quantitative expression.
- We cultivate in our students a lasting desire for learning and independent scholarship and prepare them for college work and fulfilling life experiences...".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Davidson College I think that the small student body and close knit community of St. Andrew's makes it very unique. With a student body of only about 300 students, you know everyone's name and they know yours. . .
- Johns Hopkins University St. Andrew's is such a unique place, and it would be impossible to choose just one thing that separates St. Andrew's from any other boarding school. The most obvious difference is probably that St. . .
- Georgetown University I believe that St. Andrew's offers a unique campus life because it only accepts full-time boarders. As a result, students and teachers have a unique relationship that feels more like family than familiar. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
St. Andrew's School, DE is Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 324 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|St. Andrew's School,||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||2200 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||315 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1345||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1280 - 1440||-|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||35||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$195 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||44965||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Matthew E Wolinski|
Louisa H Zendt
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||35||17|
|Courses||AS 20th Century History, AS Biology, AS Calculus AB, AS Calculus BC, AS Chemistry, AS Chinese 5, AS Economics, AS English 3, AS English 4, AS Environmental Science, AS French 5, AS Global Studies, AS Greek 3, AS History of East Asia, AS History of Social Reform, AS History of the Middle East, AS History, Literature and the Contested Past, AS Latin 4: Vergil, AS Latin 5: Catullus and Horace, AS Modern European History, AS Multivariable Calculus, AS Music History, AS Music Theory, AS Physics, AS Spanish 5: Hispanic World View, AS Spanish: Hispanic Authors of the 20th and 21st Centuries, AS Statistics, AS Studio Art, AS Western Civilization|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Environmental Stewards, Fishing Club, Forestry Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Independent Film Club, International House, Mock Trial Team, Model United Nations, Organic Gardening, Peer Tutoring, Polar Bear Club, Robotics Club, Spanish Club, The Andrean (literary magazine), The Cardinal (school newspaper), Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
Andrean Ensemble (Choral Music), Jazz Club, Orchestra, String Ensemble, The Noxontones (A Cappella group)
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Mountain Biking Club, St. Andrew's Indoor Soccer League (SAISL)
|Year: 2011 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||10|
|Franklin and Marshall College||8|
|Sewanee: University of the South||7|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- At St. Andrew's, we seek to cultivate in our students a deep and lasting desire for learning, a willingness to ask questions and pursue skeptical, independent inquiry and an appreciation of the liberal arts as a source if wisdom, perspective and hope. We encourage our students to do the work of scholars, artists and scientists and to develop those expressive and analytical skills necessary for effective communication, judicious consideration of multiple points of view and for meaningful lives as engaged citizens. As an Episcopal School, St. Andrew`s is grounded in and upheld by our Episcopal identity, welcoming persons regardless of their religious background. We are called to help students explore their spirituality and faith as we nurture their understanding and appreciation of all world religions. Our students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and work together to create a vibrant and diverse community, St. Andrew`s exceptional financial aid program makes this possible, enabling the School to practice need-blind admission and to award tuition grants to meet 100 percent of demonstrated need.
- St. Andrew's School, DE accreditations: Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- William H Whyte - author of The Organization Man
- Dennis Blair - former Director of National Intelligence and former United States Navy four-star admiral
- William Brownfield - United States Ambassador to Venezuela
- Bulent Atalay - Physicist and author
- Erin Burnett - news anchor for CNBC
- Hume Horan - American diplomat and ambassador to five countries
- Loundon Wainwright III - American songwriter, folk singer, humorist, and actor
- Kirk Varnedoe - American art historian and writer
- Dominic Seiterle - Canadian rower, Olympic Gold Medalist
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Andrew's School, DE
- School Location Miles Grades Students
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?