Milton Hershey School offers a top-notch education, state-of-the-art facilities, advanced technology and a wide array of activities to children in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade from families of low income.
This cost-free, private, coeducational school in Hershey, PA is funded by a trust established by Milton and Catherine Hershey.
The school provides a positive, structured home life year-round and an excellent education, focusing on the whole child.
Our vision centers on high-quality academics, college preparation, career readiness and providing children with the skills necessary to be successful in all aspects of life.
- Grades: (Boarding) Pre-K-12
- Enrollment: 2,189 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Definition of Terms | 2023 School Data
Milton Hershey School
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
% Students Boarding
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
Student : Teacher Ratio
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
ESL Courses Offered
Summer Program Offered
Merit Scholarships Offered
None / Rolling
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
- In 1909, Milton Hershey School began as a dream and vision by the famous chocolate maker Milton S. Hershey and his wife, Catherine.
- Today, MHS thrives as a cost-free, private, coeducational home and school for more than 2,000 students from families of lower income. Students receive an excellent pre-K through 12th-grade education, nurturing home life year-round, college and career readiness support, and comprehensive health and wellness care, including medical and dental care, food, and clothing.
- Under the leadership of President Pete Gurt `85, MHS continues the work and proud legacy of our founders. Our employees lead by example, serving our students while enjoying careers worth every minute - and we are always searching for committed and qualified people to join our MHS community. We continue to grow and serve more children in need with a clear focus to continually enhance and expand upon the programs, resources, and services we offer so students can be their greatest selves.
- Milton Hershey School accreditations: Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS), Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA)
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What sports does Milton Hershey School offer?
Milton Hershey School offers 15 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Football, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball and Wrestling.
What is Milton Hershey School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Milton Hershey School?
The application deadline for Milton Hershey School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Milton Hershey School Alumni #1
Class of 1991
Class of 1991
Milton Hershey School or MHS (or The Milt to many alumni) is a private boarding school in Central Pennsylvania for socially disadvantaged children. There is no cost to attend MHS. However, during the admission process. . .
Navigating the Modern Maze: Emerging Challenges for Boarding Schools
Explore the pressing challenges facing boarding schools, from marketing difficulties and rising insurance costs to facility maintenance and recruitment of competent trustees and teachers. This article delves into these complex issues and proposes innovative strategies to overcome them.
What To Wear at Your Job Interview
Navigating job interviews can be stressful, but knowing what to wear shouldn't be. Our comprehensive guide covers the essential dress code tips for men and women interviewing at boarding schools. Make your first impression count with style and professionalism.
July 23, 2023Boarding School Pros and Cons: History and Common Misconceptions
We address common misconceptions about boarding schools, shedding light on the actual experiences versus perceived notions. Ideal for parents contemplating this educational choice for their children, the essay provides a balanced perspective on the topic.