Milton Hershey School offers a top-notch education, state-of-the-art facilities, advanced technology and a wide array of activities to children in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade from families of low income.
This cost-free, private, coeducational school in Hershey, PA is funded by a trust established by Milton and Catherine Hershey.
The school provides a positive, structured home life year-round and an excellent education, focusing on the whole child.
Our vision centers on high-quality academics, college preparation, career readiness and providing children with the skills necessary to be successful in all aspects of life.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: (Boarding) Pre-K-12
- Enrollment: 2,189 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Milton Hershey School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 296 schools) for:
Definition of Terms | 2022 School Data
Milton Hershey School
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
Supports Learning Differences (LD)
% Students Boarding
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
Student : Teacher Ratio
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
ESL Courses Offered
Summer Program Offered
Merit Scholarships Offered
None / Rolling
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
- In 1909, Milton Hershey School began as a dream and vision by the famous chocolate maker Milton S. Hershey and his wife, Catherine.
- Today, MHS thrives as a cost-free, private, coeducational home and school for more than 2,000 students from families of lower income. Students receive an excellent pre-K through 12th-grade education, nurturing home life year-round, college and career readiness support, and comprehensive health and wellness care, including medical and dental care, food, and clothing.
- Under the leadership of President Pete Gurt `85, MHS continues the work and proud legacy of our founders. Our employees lead by example, serving our students while enjoying careers worth every minute - and we are always searching for committed and qualified people to join our MHS community. We continue to grow and serve more children in need with a clear focus to continually enhance and expand upon the programs, resources, and services we offer so students can be their greatest selves.
- Milton Hershey School accreditations: Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS), Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA)
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What sports does Milton Hershey School offer?
Milton Hershey School offers 15 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Football, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball and Wrestling.
What is Milton Hershey School's ranking?
Milton Hershey School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools for Large student body (number of students) and High percentage of boarding students.
When is the application deadline for Milton Hershey School?
The application deadline for Milton Hershey School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Milton Hershey School Alumni #1
Class of 1991
Class of 1991
Milton Hershey School or MHS (or The Milt to many alumni) is a private boarding school in Central Pennsylvania for socially disadvantaged children. There is no cost to attend MHS. However, during the admission process. . .
Mastering the Boarding School Selection Process: A 5-Step Guide
Discover the ultimate 5-step guide to choosing the perfect boarding school for your child. Explore essential factors, such as academics, campus facilities, extracurricular activities, and more. Make an informed decision to provide your child with an enriching and transformative educational experience. Read now!
5 Founders and Their Boarding Schools
What prompts somebody to start a boarding school? The motives range from idealism to munificence right on through to capitalism. The common thread seems to be ample capital and a vision of what education can do.
April 24, 2023Top 5 Reasons To Study Dance At A Boarding School
From meeting world-renowned guest artists to balancing busy rehearsal schedules, students share how boarding school is preparing them to dance professionally.