- Westtown School, a Quaker Pre-K -12th grade co-ed, private, college preparatory day and boarding school, offers a challenging and diverse curriculum that emphasizes action-based education, critical thinking, collaboration, service, and social action.
- Committed to character innovation since 1799, Westtown inspires and prepares graduates to become stewards and leaders of a better world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UVA Small Quaker school, tight group, not so much focused on strong academics as much as creating good individuals in society.. . .
- Villanova University Westtown has a beautiful campus. It was beautiful and especially safe to walk around any time of day. Also the style of teaching is very hands on and has small classes, usually with. . .
- Bard College Two aspects of Westtown that stand out in particular are its sense of community, and the education driven towards social change. Its sense of community is in part due to the fact that Westtown is. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Westtown School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Religious Affiliation||Society of Friends||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||640 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||385 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Clean, whole, and appropriate)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||55||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$100 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$33,152|
(Need-based and Merit aid available)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||67%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Nathan Bohn|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||55||18|
|Courses||2-D Studio Art 3 ADV, Algebra 1ADV, Algebra 2 & Trigonometry ADV, Algebra 2 ADV, Applied Music 3 & 4, Applied Scientific Research, Arts Independent Project, Biology 1 ADV, Biology 2 ADV, British Literature, Business & Society (Religion), Calculus 1 ADV, Calculus 2 ADV, Chemistry 1 ADV, Chemistry 2 ADV, Computer Science, Drawing 4, English Independent Research, ESOL 2, Europe Since 1950, French 4, French 5, Geometry ADV, Hiroshima to 9/11 , History Independent Research, Holocaust & Genocide, Issues in Current Affairs, Jazz Ensemble 4, Language Independent Research, Latin 5, Linear Algebra, Literature Seminar, Mandarin 4, Mandarin 5, Math Independent Research, Painting 4, Peace & Justice, Physics 1 ADV, Physics 2 ADV, Portfolio Preparation, Precalculus, Printmaking 4, Religion & Social Change: Liberation, Human & Environmental Justic, Religion & Social Change: Nonviolence & Justice, Religion Independent Research, Research Ecology , Spanish 4, Spanish 5, Spanish 6, Statistics ADV, String Orchestra 4, Symphonic Band 4, The Contemplative Experience, US History ADV, Writing Seminar|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||55||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Acappella, Admission Tour Guides, Amicus (Yearbook), Amnesty International Club, Audio / Video Club, Backgammon club, Beat (Rhythm & Percussion) Club, Beatbox Club, Brown & White (School Newspaper), Business Club, Chess Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Community Government, Cooking Club, Crosswinds, Debate Club, Disciplinary Council, Dobbs 16, Dobbs Athletic Association, Dohters, Drama Club, Earth Club, Epiphanies (Literary Magazine), Global Studies Institute, HAS (Hotchkiss Art Society), International Matters e-Magazine, Junior Peer Leaders, Knitting Club, No Limits, Onyx, Organic Garden Club, Panache, Pheonix, Polar Bear Club, Recording and Concert Production, School for the Entrepreneur, Society for Public Speaking (SPS, includes Debate, Model UN, Model Congress), Step Club, Student Council, Student Multicultural Board, Student Union for Multicultural Awareness & Action (SUMAA), Surfing and Body boarding, Tea Times, The Academy (book group), The Amicus (Yearbook), The Brown & White (Student Newspaper), Westtown Christian Fellowship, Westtown Competitive Gaming Club, Work Program
Arts and Music Programs:
Soundscapes (Music Interpretation)
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Latin/Caribbean Club, Mischianza, Ultimate Frisbee Club, Weight Lifting Club, WOC (Westtown Outing Club)
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Franklin & Marshall||15|
|George Washington University||13|
|University of Richmond||9|
|University of Pennsylvania||8|
- At Westtown School, we are uncommonly invested in helping you discover your gifts, talents, passions, and sense of purpose. We believe passionately that within each of us there is a special Light, a unique wisdom, and an evolving sense of purpose. Together, we work to help you discover these within yourself.
- We don`t claim that you`ll graduate with a complete roadmap to your future, but we do know that you`ll understand how to navigate toward it. Because our thousands of alumni all say the same thing - they left Westtown with a clear sense of direction, defined interests, and the tools to continue to explore with confidence, academic preparedness, and passion.
- We will support you, our community will support you. And you will grow.
- Westtown School accreditations: Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Kevin Roose '15 - A technology columnist for the New York Times and a writer-at-large for the New York Times Magazine, the New York Times bestselling author of two books, named to Forbes' "30 Under 30" and Time's list of the 140 best Twitter feeds.
- Jullee Wilson '00 - Senior Fashion Editor at The Huffington Post, has written for Conde Nast Traveler, Vibe, Real Simple, and Parenting, in addition to serving on the advisory board for Harlem’s Fashion Row
- Don Wildman '79 - Current host and narrator of Off Limits, Mysteries at the Museum, and Monumental Mysteries on the Travel Channel, hosted and narrated Weird Travels that formerly aired on the Travel Channel
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Westtown School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Learn about the benefits of attending a Quaker boarding school.
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.