The Phelps School
The Phelps School Photo #2 - Founded in 1946, The Phelps School is dedicated to the personalized education for the boy who seeks success academically, personally and socially. Our first obligation is to create a caring, sensitive climate which emphasizes the positive in every situation.
The Phelps School Photo #3 - ESL immerses the students in the English language and the American culture and improves their English proficiency for academic and social successes.
The Phelps School Photo #4 - We offer a wide variety of sports for the student athlete: Varsity and JV Soccer, Cross Country, Golf, Varsity and JV Tennis, Varsity and JV basketball, Wrestling, Fitness/Weight Training, Roller Hockey, Lacrosse and baseball.
The Phelps School Photo #6 - There is strong school spirit at Phelps. Many boys participate in various sports, playing in the Tri County Independent School League.
The Phelps School is a private boarding and day school for boys in grades six through 12 and a postgraduate year.
We're a small school--about 110 students--so we can provide each student with a personalized learning experience.
We offer everything from Advanced Placement (AP) courses for gifted students to an Academic Support Program (ASP) for students with learning differences.
What truly differentiates The Phelps School is the dedication we have to each individual boy and helping him to reach his full potential academically, personally and socially.
Our staff and faculty are deeply committed, and involved 24-7 in our students' lives as teachers, coaches, dorm parents and more.
We have competitive athletic teams and all kind of extracurricular activities, all on our 70-acre campus in Malvern, PA.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Western Washington University The Phelps School is a school that specializes in providing an individual education to each student. The classes were very small and the staff was more than willing to help me in every aspect. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|The Phelps School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||70 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||110 students||300 students|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants and jacket)
|Average Class Size||7 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1.5 million||$25 million|
|Tuition international students||$55,400||$54,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Caroline Whitbeck|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|Courses||AB Calculus (AP), BC Calculus (AP), Biology (AP), Chemistry (AP), English Language and Composition (AP), English Literature and Composition (AP), Environmental Science (AP), Physics (AP), Psychology (AP), Spanish (AP), Statistics (AP), U.S. Government & Politics (AP), U.S. History (AP), World History (AP)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||23|
Club or Organization:
Film Club, Gardening Club, National Honors Society, Woodshop
Arts and Music Programs:
Music, Studio Arts
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness Club, Indoor Sports
|Year: 2013 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Pennsylvania State University||4|
|Michigan State University||3|
|Boise State University||1|
|High Point University||1|
|University of Connecticut||1|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||1|
|West Virginia University||1|
The Phelps School is welcoming visitors to campus! Monday-Friday from 9:00am-4:00pm, and by appointment! Call Today!The Phelps School, located in Malvern, Pennsylvania, is a private, nonsectarian boarding and day school for boys in grades six through 12 and a postgraduate year. Founded in 1946 by Dr. Norman T. Phelps, it upholds its original credo of "Dedication to the Individual Boy." True to this philosophy, The Phelps School is committed to providing a highly customized educational experience that empowers each student to reach his fullest potential academically, personally and socially. The school serves a diverse population of approximately 110 students annually, of which 35 percent are international students and 30 are day students.
- With an average class size of seven, The Phelps School offers the ideal setting for boys who thrive in a small, nurturing and structured environment.
- Learning at the Phelps School is personalized for each student and ranges from college-level Advanced Placement (AP) courses for academically gifted students to comprehensive Academic Support Program (ASP) for students with learning differences.
- The Phelps School is known to take a holistic approach to the educational experience, fostering the growth of intellectual knowledge, social awareness, work ethic and commitment to service to develop young men of character and integrity.
- The staff and the faculty at The Phelps School are deeply invested in the wellbeing of each student and his ability to achieve individual success.
- Our student population is highly diverse, uniting students from different cultures and backgrounds and with varying skill-sets.
- The small size of The Phelps School provides every student with numerous opportunities to excel and flourish in academics, athletics and leadership.
- As an all-boys school, The Phelps School understands boys and their needs.
- The Phelps school transforms lives by empowering students to reach their highest potential. We prepare students for college and for life.
- LD types supported: Our comprehensive Academic Support Program is a solid component of our college-preparatory program.
- The Phelps School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), International Boys' School Coalition (IBSC)
Profile last updated: 09/08/2021
- Submit Review for The Phelps School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 185 students 210.2 miles1888 Brett Lane
Saltsburg, PA 15681
(724) 639-8035210.29-12, PG185
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 120 students 162.3 miles476 Skiff Mountain Road
Kent, CT 06757
(860) 927-0047162.39-12, PG120
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.