Trinity-Pawling School Photo #2 - One of the School`s most distinctive attributes is its signatory Effort System. Each boy at Trinity-Pawling is recognized and assessed in terms of the effort he devotes to a given endeavor. The learning objective inherent in this ethos of effort is to teach young people that the more they invest of themselves the greater their accomplishments will be.
Trinity-Pawling School Photo #3 - At Trinity-Pawling, your sport of choice can be Varsity Farming! The farming program centers on the concepts of sustainability and stewardship of the land through campus-based food production, composting, recycling, and renewable energy.
Trinity-Pawling School Photo #4 - At Trinity-Pawling, innovation is a key component of our curriculum. Every day, faculty and students engage in hands-on learning, creating, designing, and prototyping-and our Innovation Sites (I-Sites) make it all possible! These 3 dedicated spaces on campus are a home base for collaboration, creativity, and exploration.
Trinity-Pawling School Photo #5 - At Trinity-Pawling, we strive to give every athlete, regardless of talent, a tremendous experience. We strive to get to know each young man on a personal level and to serve as mentors in their lives-challenging them to become the best version of themselves.
Trinity-Pawling School Photo #6 - At Trinity-Pawling, you are surrounded by a welcoming and supportive community where you'll feel right at home. From your teachers and dorm parents to your peers, you'll have mentors every step of the way.
Trinity-Pawling School Photo #7 - Make yourself at home at Trinity-Pawling. And then leap out of your comfort zone. As a brotherhood, we're a caring community that will push you to be nothing short of extraordinary.
Trinity-Pawling School Photo #8 - Our instructors are teachers and accomplished professional artists who are active in their fields. You'll learn from the best, and you'll do it in our Arts Center, a showpiece in itself, which houses a 400-seat theater, state-of-the-art sound system, rehearsal spaces, and practice rooms so you can discover and nurture your passions.
Trinity-Pawling School Photo #9 - The Smith Field House is a 20,000-square-foot facility, which houses a gymnasium, two full basketball courts, an additional half court and workout area, locker rooms, a trophy area, and an Athletic Hall of Fame room. The building not only serves as a state-of-the-art athletic facility, but is also enjoyed daily as a student social center and gathering space.
Trinity-Pawling School Photo #10 - Each year, students with learning differences graduate from Trinity-Pawling prepared for college and beyond. The School`s Center for Learning Achievement recognizes the potential in each and every one of these students. For over 45 years, this signature program and individualized academic support have been providing an environment where students are transformed.
- At Trinity-Pawling, we see that spark of greatness in each boy. We help our students turn hopes into achievement and hard work into results. Along the way, they discover that greatness takes many forms - a breakthrough English paper, an act of kindness, a game winning goal. It's all about discovering talents and putting them into action.
- At Trinity-Pawling, no one sits on the sidelines. Get ready, go far.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Trinity-Pawling||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||7-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||230 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||299 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1210||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||950 - 1250||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Less than once a month||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$45 million||$20 million|
(7th & 8th Grade Day - $29,750)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||JP Burlington '95|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Kim DeFonce|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|Courses||AP Physics 1, AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism, AP Physics C: Mechanics, Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, Environmental Science, European History, Statistics, U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||62||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
3D Printing Club, Acolytes & Vergers, Allies (LGBTQ), Amen Boys, Asian Society, Aviation Club, Baking Club, Bridge Club, Cheese Club, Chess Club, Coffee and Tea Club, Computer Programming Club, Computer Repair Club, Cooking Club, Cribbage Club, Dead Politics Club, Deans Assistants, Debate Club, Diversity Club, Dog Walking Club, Dorm Proctors, Drone Club, Dungeons and Dragons, Environmental Council, Finance Club, Key Club, Knitting Club, Literary Club, Math Club, Mindfulness Club, MIT Launch Club, Mock Trial Club, Model UN, National Honor Society, Poker Club, Random Acts of Kindness Club, Reading, Relay For Life, Spirit Club, Strategy Board Games, Student Activities, Student Senate, Student's Corner, The Phoenix School Newspaper, Usher Club, Vital Signs Science Magazine
Arts and Music Programs:
Anime Club, Drama Club, Drumming Club, Film Club, Jazz Club, Pottery Club, Radio Station, String Music Club, Theater, Trinitones
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Health & Wellness, Mountain Biking Club, Outdoor Club, Quarterback Club, Strength and Conditioning, Yoga Club
|Year: 2017||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||31|
|University of Vermont||17|
|St. Lawrence University||15|
|George Washington University||11|
|Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute||11|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1907, Trinity-Pawling School is an all-boys college preparatory school located in Pawling, New York. The school serves boys in grades 7-12 and offers a postgraduate program.
- The goal of a Trinity-Pawling education is to unlock the potential for greatness that exists in each boy. The School pursues this goal through a vigorous learning environment that emphasizes innovation, creativity, and critical thinking. A commitment to project-based and experiential learning acknowledges the research that is proven to be successful for boys.
- A camaraderie of "brotherhood" is enhanced by a family of educators and students who are dedicated to building a culture of excellence and honor. The Trinity-Pawling learning experience combines a timeless commitment to character with a dedication to prepare young men for an ever-changing world.
- One of the School`s most distinctive attributes is its signatory Effort System, which began 50 years ago. The Effort System is Trinity-Pawling`s distinct approach to inspiring and measuring student growth. It assesses students in multiple dimensions: academics, dorm life, athletics, work program, and extracurricular involvement. Through this ethos of effort, we challenge young men to become ambitious, well-rounded individuals in all aspects of life.
- The School`s Center for Learning Achievement recognizes the potential in each and every student. For over 45 years, this signature program and individualized academic support has provided an environment where students are transformed - achieving their academic goals in ways they never expected, finding their confidence, and preparing for their futures.
- Trinity-Pawling's student-athletes range from lifelong players to novices - everyone plays sports at their level of experience and ability. The Pride competes in the Founders League, a highly competitive prep-school arena where student-athletes are prepared for college-level competition. Rather than specializing in one sport, coaches encourage boys to try a sport every season to develop their skills, sportsmanship, and self-discipline.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia
- Trinity-Pawling School accreditations: New York Association of Independent Schools and New York State Board of Regents
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Christopher Wren ’54 - Retired from The New York Times after nearly twenty-nine years as a reporter, foreign correspondent, and editor. He is the author of Those Turbulent Sons of Freedom and Walking to Vermont.
- Paul Rachman ’78 - Is an American film director who directed the highly praised 2006 documentary American Hardcore, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and was released by Sony Pictures Classics.
- Andrew Masset ’67 - Is an actor, known for Halt and Catch Fire, Remember the Titans, and Kill the Messenger.
- Michael Melford ’68 - Is an American photographer, artist and teacher known for his National Geographic magazine assignments.
- Joseph Callo ’48 - Is a Naval History Magazine Author of the Year. His most recent book is a memoir titled The Sea Was Always There. His book John Paul Jones: America’s First Sea Warrior is the 2006 winner of the Samuel Eliot Morison Award by the Naval Order of the US
- Chukky Okobi ’96 - NFL football player, Pittsburgh Steelers, 2001–07, Super Bowl XL Champion
- Maurice Vaughn ’86 - MLB first baseman, three-time All-Star, AL MVP
- Gil Junger ’72 - Is an American director for Touchstone Pictures, most famous for 10 Things I Hate About You
- Shayne Skov ’09 - American NFL football player, San Francisco 49ers
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Trinity-Pawling School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.