Canterbury School Photo #2 - Canterbury offers students many opportunities for community service. Each summer a group of students spend a week volunteering in Lourdes, France. Students have also volunteered in Nicaragua and Puerto Rico.
Canterbury School Photo #3 - Each year students present two full-scale productions. In the fall of 2014, Canterbury Drama mounted "A Midsummer's Night Dream.
Canterbury School Photo #4 - Canterbury dedicated a state-of-the-art artificial turf field for soccer and field hockey in the spring of 2014.
- "Founded in 1915 and guided by our Catholic heritage, Canterbury is an independent college preparatory, coeducational boarding and day school for students in grades 912.
- The School prides itself on creating a community based on its Five Values-Honesty, Respect, Compassion, Spirituality, and Self-Reliance-in which students and faculty forge lasting bonds and every student experiences a broad and challenging program in a small school setting...".
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Canterbury School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||150 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||328 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1230||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1100 - 1380||-|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$31 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||55%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Matt Mulhern|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Erin Deshaies|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Year: 2008 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Salve Regina University||15|
|New York University||10|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||9|
|The Catholic University of America||9|
- Founded in 1915 and guided by our Catholic heritage, Canterbury is an independent college preparatory, coeducational boarding and day school for students in grades 912. The School prides itself on creating a community based on its Five Values-Honesty, Respect, Compassion, Spirituality, and Self-Reliance-in which students and faculty forge lasting bonds and every student experiences a broad and challenging program in a small school setting. The School's educational environment fosters academic rigor, athletic development, artistic enrichment and spiritual growth and strives to ensure a superior experience that prepares students for leading colleges and universities and for life.
- With its rigorous and humane approach to students, both in and out of the classroom, Canterbury's program inculcates vital intellectual and ethical habits of mind. The School sees all students as individuals, encourages them as necessary, challenges them as appropriate, and inspires them to be moral leaders in a complex, secular world.
- Canterbury School accreditations: CAIS, NEACS, TABS, SSATB
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jack Arute '68 - ESPN sports announcer
- William Randolph Hearst III '67 - venture capitalist and trustee of Hearst Trust
- Sargent Shriver '34 - diplomat, Peace Corps organizer, Vice-presidential candidate
- John Hemingway '79 - author (grandson of Ernest)
- Cofer Black '68 - former Assistant Secretary of State for counter-terrorism
- James B. Lee '71 - vice-chairman J.P. Morgan Chase
- Peter Kiernan '71 - partner Goldman Sachs, author
- Tom Gerety '64 - educator, NYU professor, former president Trinity College and Amherst College
- Mike Dunham '91 - NHL goaltender
- Dominick Dunne '44 - writer, producer, TV personality
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Canterbury School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
What prompts somebody to start a boarding school? The motives range from idealism to munificence right on through to capitalism. The common thread seems to be ample capital and a vision of what education can do.
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.