Canterbury School Photo #2 - Canterbury offers its athletes the facilities they need to excel, from one of the best aquatics centers in New England to our ice rink, nine playing fields, squash courts, and rowing site on the Housatonic River.
Canterbury School Photo #3 - The theater program at Canterbury is open to all students, whether a novice or a veteran to the stage or to stagecraft. All students are encouraged to participate, either as actors, or as members of the technical crew, building the sets, costumes, and props for the fall and spring productions.
Canterbury School Photo #4 - Both boarders and day students think of Canterbury not just as a school, but a home away from home. From your first visit to campus, you sense how warm and welcoming Canterbury is. As you get to know students and teachers better, you find they are genuine, open, and down-to-earth.
Canterbury School Photo #5 - We recognize that spiritual growth is a vital part of a complete education-touching every aspect of learning and life at the School and key to the overall experience of personal growth that defines us. We prepare our students not only for success in higher learning and in life, but also to step forward as moral leaders in complex, secular world.
Canterbury School Photo #6 - Opening in fall 2020, the Steers Center is a new, 22,000-square-foot facility that expands Canterbury`s innovation and digital literacy curricula, creates a central gathering place for the entire school community, and inspires students` personal growth as moral and servant leaders in a complex world. It is an extraordinary space where all aspects of the Canterbury School mission converge.
Excellence-a pillar of Canterbury`s educational experience-is lived out every day on our hilltop campus. Across all areas of study, you will find yourself inspired to achieve. You will work within a challenging academic program that allows you to develop the skills most essential to succeeding in college and life beyond.
The campus you will call home comprises 150 acres of traditional and modern buildings that house spaces for learning, living, and spiritual reflection. Now open, the new Steers Center-a building that was our students` idea-is designed with every aspect of your student experience in mind.
Founded in the Catholic tradition and welcoming students of all faiths, Canterbury embraces five core values that not only differentiate our school, but distinguish your education and growth as an individual - Honesty, Respect, Compassion, Spirituality, and Self-Reliance. We will encourage you to seek justice and peace, cultivate your critical and reflective thinking, work with and for others, and be your best self.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 325 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $67,750
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $50,000
- Acceptance rate: 36%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 31 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Canterbury School ranks among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 107 schools) for:
Definition of Terms | 2022 School Data
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
% Students of Color
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Average SAT Score
* National Avg. »View
SAT range (25th-75th percentile)
1100 - 1380
Average ACT score
*National Avg. »View
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Frequency of Saturday Classes
Classroom Dress Code
Relaxed dress code on Wed & Sat
Relaxed dress code on Wed & Sat
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
% Students on Financial Aid
Avg. Financial Aid Grant
Merit Scholarships Offered
Jan. 31 / rolling
Accepts Standardized Application
Average Percentile SSAT
Director of Admissions
Associate Director of Admissions
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
Year: 2008 - 2012
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
Salve Regina University
New York University
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
The Catholic University of America
- Excellence-a pillar of Canterbury`s educational experience-is lived out every day on our hilltop campus. Across all areas of study, you will find yourself inspired to achieve. You will work within a challenging academic program that allows you to develop the skills most essential to succeeding in college and life beyond.
- The campus you will call home comprises 150 acres of traditional and modern buildings that house spaces for learning, living, and spiritual reflection. Now open, the new Steers Center-a building that was our students` idea-is designed with every aspect of your student experience in mind.
- Founded in the Catholic tradition and welcoming students of all faiths, Canterbury embraces five core values that not only differentiate our school, but distinguish your education and growth as an individual - Honesty, Respect, Compassion, Spirituality, and Self-Reliance. We will encourage you to seek justice and peace, cultivate your critical and reflective thinking, work with and for others, and be your best self. DISCOVER MORE
- Canterbury School accreditations: CAIS, NEACS, TABS, SSATB
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jack Arute '68 - ESPN sports announcer
- William Randolph Hearst III '67 - venture capitalist and trustee of Hearst Trust
- Sargent Shriver '34 - diplomat, Peace Corps organizer, Vice-presidential candidate
- John Hemingway '79 - author (grandson of Ernest)
- Cofer Black '68 - former Assistant Secretary of State for counter-terrorism
- James B. Lee '71 - vice-chairman J.P. Morgan Chase
- Peter Kiernan '71 - partner Goldman Sachs, author
- Tom Gerety '64 - educator, NYU professor, former president Trinity College and Amherst College
- Mike Dunham '91 - NHL goaltender
- Dominick Dunne '44 - writer, producer, TV personality
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Canterbury School cost?
Canterbury School's tuition is approximately $67,750 for boarding students and $50,000 for day students.
What is the acceptance rate of Canterbury School?
The acceptance rate of Canterbury School is 36%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from Canterbury School?
Canterbury School famous alumni include: Jack Arute '68, William Randolph Hearst III '67, Sargent Shriver '34, John Hemingway '79, Cofer Black '68, James B. Lee '71, Peter Kiernan '71, Tom Gerety '64, Mike Dunham '91 and Dominick Dunne '44.
What sports does Canterbury School offer?
Canterbury School offers 22 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball and Wrestling. Canterbury School is ranked as one of the top boarding schools for most sports offered.
What is Canterbury School's ranking?
Canterbury School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools for Most sports offered.
When is the application deadline for Canterbury School?
The application deadline for Canterbury School is Jan. 31 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 31 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Canterbury School Alumni #1
Class of 2011
Class of 2011
Great school, required to play a sport for all 3 seasons which kept you buys. Teaching was great with small class sizes. More attention from the teachers. . .
Mastering the Boarding School Selection Process: A 5-Step Guide
Discover the ultimate 5-step guide to choosing the perfect boarding school for your child. Explore essential factors, such as academics, campus facilities, extracurricular activities, and more. Make an informed decision to provide your child with an enriching and transformative educational experience. Read now!
5 Founders and Their Boarding Schools
What prompts somebody to start a boarding school? The motives range from idealism to munificence right on through to capitalism. The common thread seems to be ample capital and a vision of what education can do.
April 24, 2023Top 5 Reasons To Study Dance At A Boarding School
From meeting world-renowned guest artists to balancing busy rehearsal schedules, students share how boarding school is preparing them to dance professionally.