Canterbury offers students many opportunities for community service. Each summer a group of students spend a week volunteering in Lourdes, France. Students have also volunteered in Nicaragua and Puerto Rico.
Each year students present two full-scale productions. In the fall of 2014, Canterbury Drama mounted 'A Midsummer's Night Dream.
Canterbury dedicated a state-of-the-art artificial turf field for soccer and field hockey in the spring of 2014.
- "Founded in 1915 Canterbury is an independent college preparatory, coeducational boarding and day school for students in grades 9-12.
- The School prides itself on creating a community based on Catholic values, where students and faculty forge lasting bonds and every student experiences a broad and challenging program in a small school setting...".
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Canterbury School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||150 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||320 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1820||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1610 - 1920||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$20.1 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||25000||$22,700|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||55%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Matt Mulhern|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Erin Deshaies|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Year: 2008 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Salve Regina University||15|
|New York University||10|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||9|
|The Catholic University of America||9|
- Founded in 1915, Canterbury is an independent college preparatory, coeducational boarding and day school for students in grades 9-12. The School prides itself on creating a community based on Catholic values, where students and faculty forge lasting bonds and every student experiences a broad and challenging program in a small school setting. The School's educational environment fosters academic rigor, athletic development, artistic enrichment and spiritual growth.
- School accreditations: CAIS, NEACS, TABS, SSATB
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jack Arute '68 - ESPN sports announcer
- William Randolph Hearst III '67 - venture capitalist and trustee of Hearst Trust
- Sargent Shriver '34 - diplomat, Peace Corps organizer, Vice-presidential candidate
- John Hemingway '79 - author (grandson of Ernest)
- Cofer Black '68 - former Assistant Secretary of State for counter-terrorism
- James B. Lee '71 - vice-chairman J.P. Morgan Chase
- Peter Kiernan '71 - partner Goldman Sachs, author
- Tom Gerety '64 - educator, NYU professor, former president Trinity College and Amherst College
- Mike Dunham '91 - NHL goaltender
- Dominick Dunne '44 - writer, producer, TV personality
- Submit Review for Canterbury School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.