The Frederick Gunn School
- Founded in 1850 by Frederick Gunn, an outdoorsman and naturalist recognized as the founder of camping in the United States, a courageous abolitionist, and a pioneering educator, The Frederick Gunn School is a coeducational, independent, college preparatory school for boarding and day students in grades 912/post-graduate. Located on 220 acres boarding the village green of Washington, Connecticut, the school offers academic, athletic, co-curricular and campus life programs that emphasize character, teamwork, active citizenship, and independent thinking. Our teachers meet students where they are, but don`t let them stay there. We are here to light a fire, and generations of our alumni are the proof. We nurture creators, develop makers, not consumers, encourage students to take risks, to put their voice out there, to stand up for what matters to them, to learn how to listen, and how to lead. Students leave prepared to make a difference and, in the same entrepreneurial way as our founder, to be a force for good.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Frederick Gunn||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||220 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||300 students||300 students|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Alex Ince|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Frederick Gunn School
- People that viewed The Frederick Gunn School also viewed these schools: Berkshire School, Canterbury School, Amerigo Chicago North Shore Carmel Catholic High School, Culver Academies and Phillips Academy Andover.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 1150 students 754.4 miles1 Carmel Parkway
Mundelein, IL 60060
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?