Rumsey Hall School
201 Romford Rd.
Washington, CT 06794
Washington, CT 06794
Rumsey Hall School is a junior day/boarding school for grades kindergarten through nine.
We are committed to a whole-child approach to education and believe that teaching academics and teaching an attitude of mind are of equal importance.
Located in Washington, CT, we emphasize effort as a criterion for success and are dedicated to helping each child develop toward his or her maximum stature as an educated person, a successful member of a family, and a contributing member of a community.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Rumsey Hall School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||5-9||5-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-9||Pre-K-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||231 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||316 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$31 million||$24 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$18,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Ben Tuff|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jennifer Kolpak|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Rumsey Hall is for the curious and the bold-the forward-movers-who seek honesty, kindness, and respect in all they do. Children in our co-educational junior boarding and day school for grades K-9 are valued and celebrated for their unique gifts, learning styles, and innate character. Founded in 1900, we honor tradition; subsequently, we challenge ourselves and our students to grow without limit from the foundation of our deeply-rooted history. Our students serve each other and their community, find the courage to be themselves, and enjoy the intangible benefits of long lasting friendship and connection.
- With effort as our main criterion for success, teachers and leaders see every child as a `whole person`: a mind to fuel with proven and innovative academic instruction; a body to train with outdoor recreation and seasoned, competitive athletic program; a creative spirit to nurture through music, the arts, and innovation challenges and, a unique personality entitled to feelings, likes and dislikes who can both understand others and be understood. Our students-from the wonder-filled "Kindie" exploring Shepaug`s teeming on-campus riverbed to the "VIIth Former" (9th grader) confidently addressing the student body on the topic of DEIJ (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice)-are given the space to expand, fail, rebound, and THRIVE. The Rumsey community provides students with a broad base of support, giving students the assurance that they need to embrace new challenges. Bolstered by a dedicated network of teachers and family supporting them, Rumsey graduates go on to the secondary school realm equipped for success. From there, they go on to better the world!
- Located in Washington, in the Litchfield Hills of Northwest Connecticut, our vibrant campus bustles with the energy of 309 students learning and living in 32 gleaming-white buildings on 231 acres along the scenic Bantam River. The artists-within find a place to beam creativity out in our fine arts and performing arts centers. Children from all over the globe find a sense of home-of family-in our nine dormitories. Athletes of all levels discover the benefits of perseverance and ambition in our seven athletic fields, two gymnasiums, hockey rink, indoor crew tanks/facility, and three indoor and three outdoor tennis courts.
- We can`t wait to meet you in person on our gem-of-a-campus in the hills. We`re excited to talk to you further about the many ways your child can be their best self-moving forward-at Rumsey Hall!
- LD types supported: Mild Dyslexia, Executive Functioning Issues, Dysgraphia, Processing Issues
- Rumsey Hall School accreditations: CAIS, TABS, NAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Rumsey Hall School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 5-9| 315 students 20 miles211 Indian Mountain Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
- Grades: 3-9| 193 students 69.8 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
June 30, 2021
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.