Rumsey Hall School
201 Romford Rd.
Washington, CT 06794
Washington, CT 06794
Rumsey Hall School is a junior day/boarding school for grades kindergarten through nine.
We are committed to a whole-child approach to education and believe that teaching academics and teaching an attitude of mind are of equal importance.
Located in Washington, CT, we emphasize effort as a criterion for success and are dedicated to helping each child develop toward his or her maximum stature as an educated person, a successful member of a family, and a contributing member of a community.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Rumsey Hall School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||5-9||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-9||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||231 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||316 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$31 million||$25 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$18,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Ben Tuff|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jennifer Kolpak|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Rumsey Hall is for the curious and the bold-the forward-movers-who seek honesty, kindness, and respect in all they do. Children in our co-educational junior boarding and day school for grades K-9 are valued and celebrated for their unique gifts, learning styles, and innate character. Founded in 1900, we honor tradition; subsequently, we challenge ourselves and our students to grow without limit from the foundation of our deeply-rooted history. Our students serve each other and their community, find the courage to be themselves, and enjoy the intangible benefits of long lasting friendship and connection.
- With effort as our main criterion for success, teachers and leaders see every child as a `whole person`: a mind to fuel with proven and innovative academic instruction; a body to train with outdoor recreation and seasoned, competitive athletic program; a creative spirit to nurture through music, the arts, and innovation challenges and, a unique personality entitled to feelings, likes and dislikes who can both understand others and be understood. Our students-from the wonder-filled "Kindie" exploring Shepaug`s teeming on-campus riverbed to the "VIIth Former" (9th grader) confidently addressing the student body on the topic of DEIJ (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice)-are given the space to expand, fail, rebound, and THRIVE. The Rumsey community provides students with a broad base of support, giving students the assurance that they need to embrace new challenges. Bolstered by a dedicated network of teachers and family supporting them, Rumsey graduates go on to the secondary school realm equipped for success. From there, they go on to better the world!
- Located in Washington, in the Litchfield Hills of Northwest Connecticut, our vibrant campus bustles with the energy of 309 students learning and living in 32 gleaming-white buildings on 231 acres along the scenic Bantam River. The artists-within find a place to beam creativity out in our fine arts and performing arts centers. Children from all over the globe find a sense of home-of family-in our nine dormitories. Athletes of all levels discover the benefits of perseverance and ambition in our seven athletic fields, two gymnasiums, hockey rink, indoor crew tanks/facility, and three indoor and three outdoor tennis courts.
- We can`t wait to meet you in person on our gem-of-a-campus in the hills. We`re excited to talk to you further about the many ways your child can be their best self-moving forward-at Rumsey Hall!
- LD types supported: Mild Dyslexia, Executive Functioning Issues, Dysgraphia, Processing Issues
- Rumsey Hall School accreditations: CAIS, TABS, NAIS
Profile last updated: 07/14/2021
- Submit Review for Rumsey Hall School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 5-9| 315 students 20 miles211 Indian Mountain Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
- Grades: 3-9| 196 students 69.8 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 5-9| 275 students 99 miles120 Prospect Street
Fitchburg, MA 01420
- Grades: 4-9 | 76 students 178.5 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.