Indian Mountain School
211 Indian Mountain Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
Lakeville, CT 06039
Tel: (435) 480-0871
Indian Mountain School Photo #3 - The IMS Student Center, which is home to our Maker Space, our "Rock Band" program, and our arts program.
Indian Mountain School Photo #4 - Living the school's motto, "Life Through Service," IMS students work at an agricultural center in the Dominican Republic during a service trip.
Indian Mountain School Photo #5 - Breaking from the routine, the Indian Mountain School's Intersession allows students to immerse themselves in classes ranging from woodworking to music theory to cooking. These students pictured here built a climbing wall in the IMS gymnasium.
Coeducational boarding and day school for students in Pre-K through Grade 9.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Indian Mountain School|
|School Focus||Junior Boarding School|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 5-9|
|Grades (Day)||Grades Pre-K-9|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||600 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$10 million|
|Tuition international students||$71,640|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$19,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Heather Eckert|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Charles Brown|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
"Magic, Coding Club, Kiski Service Organization, Robotics, Robotics Club, Skiing, Snowboarding, Ultimate Frisbee, Basketball, Running, Ukulele, Website
Arts and Music Programs:
Chit Chat Club, Gamers Club, Pottery, Rock, Stone, Student Action Leadership Team, The Springs Club, Wood
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Outdoor, Skiing, Tennis
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- At Indian Mountain School, you will find a vibrant, joyful community of learners where every child is known, supported, and inspired. We are deeply committed to the learning process, understanding that learning and growth are rarely linear. Our teachers, at every level, provide equal measures of challenge and support and believe that all students thrive in a learning environment rooted in connection and community.
- At Indian Mountain School, our students are engaged in meaningful learning that interests them, inspires them, and exposes them to challenges and opportunities we face in the world. We believe in the importance of embracing complex topics, and always do so from a place of honesty, compassion, and respect. Our students are better for it. And at the same time, we ensure that joy is infused into the IMS experience because nothing is more important than preserving the spirit of childhood. We believe that rigor and fun are not mutually exclusive.
- Our mountain and adventure education program inspire our approach. We recognize that in life, and in learning, it takes courage to wander from an expected path, take in the view, and consider different perspectives. I am hopeful for our future because this is what we see each day from our students. Thank you for your interest in Indian Mountain School. We are eager to welcome you.
- Jody Reilly Soja
- Head of School
- LD types supported: Mild Dyslexia, Mild Learning Differences
- Indian Mountain School accreditations: Junior Boarding Schools Association
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- John Avildsen - Director of the Karate Kid and Rocky.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Indian Mountain School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 3-9| 193 students 61 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 4-9 | 76 students 159.5 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
The pandemic has upended our lives in ways we never imagined. Heads of school also have been impacted as they try to plan for the future. Concerns about enrolment, community safety, and the school's finances are just a few of their worries.
May is the month for private school graduations. Boarding school graduation is an especially poignant occasion. Why not mark it with a special gift?
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.