Fay School Photo #2 - Fay is a "home away from home" for our residential students. Students live, learn, and grow together with guidance and supervision from dedicated teachers and staff, the majority of whom live on campus.
Fay School Photo #3 - Family-style meals at Fay are a longstanding tradition. Faculty members join the students for meals and students take turns as waiters. It is an opportunity to relax with friends and catch up on school news.
Fay School Photo #4 - The Fay School Innovation Lab is a 3,000 square foot lab space open to Fay faculty, staff, and students from K through ninth grade, with dedicated spaces for video production, programming, designing, building, and tinkering.
Fay School Photo #5 - Our faculty is distinguished not just in their level of expertise in their respective fields, but in their commitment to the practice of teaching. More than 83% of our faculty have earned master`s degrees: they are leaders in their disciplines as published authors, conference speakers, and mentors.
Fay School Photo #6 - Students compete against other independent schools in a variety of sports, and over the years we have developed friendly rivalries with these teams. Athletics at Fay brings our community together as participants and spectators, maintaining bonds of school spirit and pride.
Fay School Photo #7 - Fay School values the arts as a part of each student''s educational experience. From Pre-Kindergarten through grade nine, students engage in music, visual art, and drama instruction led by experienced practitioners who build upon the innate creativity and curiosity within each child and allow them to give artistic expression to emotions and ideas.
Fay School Photo #8 - Our drama productions regularly fill our theater, with audience members from the school community and beyond. Recent productions have included Guys and Dolls, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Annie, and Once on this Island.
Fay School Photo #9 - Fay is recognized around the world for its superior educational program, and our graduates are accepted to top secondary schools, including Phillips Exeter Academy, Phillips Academy Andover, Deerfield Academy, and Groton School.
- Fay School is the oldest junior boarding school in the United States.
- Our 66-acre campus is located in Southborough, MA, just 25 miles from Boston.
- Our community includes 475 students in Kindergarten through grade nine.
- Of those, 150 students are boarders who come from across the United States and 24 countries.
- Fay is recognized around the world for its superior educational program, and our graduates are accepted to top secondary schools, including Phillips Exeter Academy, Phillips Academy Andover, Deerfield Academy, and Groton School (click here for the complete list).
- In addition to the core courses of mathematics, science, English, and history, students take art, music, and world languages.
- Students also focus on the design thinking process with courses in our 3,000 square-foot Innovation Lab.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- St. John’s College We had mandatory volunteer work, but we took a service trip to the Dominican Republic in my last year there as a class. Also the advisors were amazing, cared so much more than any other. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|School Focus||Junior Boarding School|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 7-9|
|Grades (Day)||Grades K-9|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||66 acres|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$54 million|
(ranges from $67,690 - $71,330 for grades 7-9)
(ranges from $40,110 - $43,750 for grades 7-9)
|Tuition international students||$70,830|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||Dec. 15 / Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes|
|Director of Admissions||Beth Whitney|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Susan Mantilla-Goin|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||16 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admission Tour Guides, Dance Club, Debate Club, MathCounts, Outdoor Adventure, Quilting, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama, Improv, Jazz Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness Club, Golf Club, Skiing, Swimming, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Fay School is a day and boarding school for students in Kindergarten through grade nine. While the School has grown and evolved since its founding in 1866, our central purpose has remained constant: we provide our students with the foundation for a meaningful life. Fay's broad and challenging program empowers students to discover their talents, develop their intellectual abilities, establish essential academic skills and knowledge, and define their moral character - all essential to living a life of meaning and making a positive difference in the world.
- Our community is built on five core values: Academic Excellence, Honorable Conduct, Dedicated Service, Earnest Effort, and Wellness of Mind, Body, and Spirit. Our school motto, Poteris Modo Velis ("You can if you will") highlights our community's emphasis on determination, effort, and resilience.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Fay School accreditations: AISNE
- Submit Review for Fay School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 3-9| 193 students 57.1 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 4-9 | 165 students 4.9 miles404 Robin Hill Street
Marlborough, MA 01752
Tips for athletes applying to boarding school.
This is a fictional interview with the head of a boarding school. After all, her concerns are probably yours as well.
We parents have a multi-faceted role to play in protecting our school-age children during th pandemic.